Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default High Standard sharpshooter .22LR experts

I had a chance to shoot an old High Standard Sharpshooter in .22lr today. One of the magazines was not feeding properly so I did a little searching on the internet about the gun. Magazines are very expensive.

Now my question: the video on disassembly refers to a button in front of the trigger guard to release the barrel. The firearm I was shooting had the barrel attached by an allen wrench bolt. Can anyone provide information if this was an unusual model as the trigger guard does not seem to be altered.

(Chester County)

Default Re: High Standard sharpshooter .22LR experts

Does you magazine failure result in the cartridge jamming slightly above the chamber opening?

If so I had the same problem with my Supermatic Citation and solved it relatively simply. See thread - http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=53696

Built a tool to bend mag lips and never had a jam since.

See: http://portabletargetstand.com/HighS...107%20PTS1.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IANAL

(Adams County)

[QUOTE=
    Now my question: the video on disassembly refers to a button in front of the trigger guard to release the barrel. The firearm I was shooting had the barrel attached by an allen wrench bolt. Can anyone provide information if this was an unusual model as the trigger guard does not seem to be altered.[/QUOTE]

Toward the end of its production in CT, probably as a cost cutting measure, High Standard changed the barrel attachment from the spring loaded plunger to a bolt with an Allen wrench head. Between our two collections of High Standard .22 target pistols (at least 12), my brother and I have only acquired one with the bolt barrel attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Does you magazine failure result in the cartridge jamming slightly above the chamber opening?

If so I had the same problem with my Supermatic Citation and solved it relatively simply. See thread - http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=53696

Built a tool to bend mag lips and never had a jam since.

See: http://portabletargetstand.com/HighS...107%20PTS1.pdf
    The malfunction looked exactly the way it appeared in your picture. It was only happening with one magazine and it had a blue follower rather than the green that came with the gun. It also looks like it was stamped and welded. Must be after-market.

Quote Originally Posted by punxsutawneypete View Post
    Toward the end of its production in CT, probably as a cost cutting measure, High Standard changed the barrel attachment from the spring loaded plunger to a bolt with an Allen wrench head. Between our two collections of High Standard .22 target pistols (at least 12), my brother and I have only acquired one with the bolt barrel attachment.
    Very interesting, it must have been a later model like you noted, at the end of production. Does anyone know of a site that lists serial numbers by production year?