Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New 41 magnum Ruger Redhawk

My LGS ordered a Ruger Redhawk in .41 magnum. 4.2 inch tapered barrel, hogue grips. I'm liking this a lot.

Fit and finish is good. Barrel is straight, very smooth trigger. The only downside is the cylinder wiggles some with the trigger held to the rear. I've seen other new Rugers and S&W's do this, so I'm going to tolerate this.

I 'slugged' the chambers; with the Remington 210 gr. Rounds they go in easily. Speer Gold dots are quite a tight fit. Hopefully won't be a problem down the road. Any thoughts on this?

(Washington County)

Default Re: New 41 magnum Ruger Redhawk

Wow. I really like the way that looks. Would be worth it depending on price points. Hope it shoots straight.

(Fayette County)

Perp On Wrong End of .41 Magnum: Gulp, sir, I'm g-g-going to put your p-p-private p-p-property back down in its rightful place. That's a beautiful firearm you have there, yes, siree!

Owner of .41 Magnum: If you stick around a little longer, I can show you how it works.

Perp On Wrong End of .41 Magnum: Sir, that won't be n-n-n-necessary. I w-w-w-wouldn't want t-t-to impose. I th-th-think I'll be going now; I think I've s-s-seen the light, and if I h-h-hurry, I just may be a-a-able to make that Wednesday night Bible study.

In all seriousness, that is a really nice revolver!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    My LGS ordered a Ruger Redhawk in .41 magnum. 4.2 inch tapered barrel, hogue grips. I'm liking this a lot.

Fit and finish is good. Barrel is straight, very smooth trigger. The only downside is the cylinder wiggles some with the trigger held to the rear. I've seen other new Rugers and S&W's do this, so I'm going to tolerate this.

I 'slugged' the chambers; with the Remington 210 gr. Rounds they go in easily. Speer Gold dots are quite a tight fit. Hopefully won't be a problem down the road. Any thoughts on this?

Ummm, which gun store would that be (and will it still be there when I drive by on Wednesday)? Just kidding, but it's a real looker....
    - bamboomaster

Thanks.
    This particular model is a Davidson's exclusive, so there are limited quantities.

Whenever I carry a .41 magnum loaded with a good 210 grain hollowpoint, I feel very well heeled.

(Chester County)

Thanks.
    This particular model is a Davidson's exclusive, so there are limited quantities.

Whenever I carry a .41 magnum loaded with a good 210 grain hollowpoint, I feel very well heeled.

INDEED!
    - bamboomaster

(Clearfield County)

We have a Ruger 41 mag 5.5". Nice revolver and nice balance. I would expect the same from the 4.2 barrel. Target from 25 yards with a home cast bullet. Good luck with your revolver.

Last edited by saleen322; April 18th, 2017 at 01:06 AM.

(Bucks County)

A tight chamber (where the bullets go thru) is usually not a problem. The bigger problem is the diameter of the forcing cone, especially where it is torqued into the frame. If the forcing cone is a smaller diameter than the barrel bore accuracy will suffer.

Slug the cylinders again and measure with a micrometer. Then tap a bullet into the forcing cone. It should be a tighter fit. Remove it with a rod and measure the bullet again. It should be smaller than the cylinder.

Now the hard part. Tap a lubed bullet into the muzzle but leave enough sticking out so you can remove it with a pair of pliers or by clamping it in a vice (if it goes to far you will have fun figuring out how to get it out!). Measure the muzzle diameter with calipers.

The barrel diameter should not be smaller than the forcing cone diameter. At least technically......go out and shoot it to find out for sure.

Edit: Slug with lead bullets only, the softest ones you have. A jacketed bullet will probably get stuck!
    Last edited by Delkal; April 17th, 2017 at 09:22 PM.

(Clearfield County)

The key measurement on a revolver is the cylinder throat. Mine will pass a jacketed bullet with a little resistance that measures 0.410". Lead bullets I bought were 0.411" and were noticeably tighter to push through. I sized my cast bullets to finish at 0.410" and the accuracy was much better. YMMV

(Butler County)

I'm not a wheel gun guy but that's a pretty piece of iron. I could be persuaded/tempted very easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast