Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Any experience with Charter Arms Revolvers?

I just ordered a Charter Arms Target Mag Pug 357 Mag with a 4.2 '' barrel. Are these guns okay for the money. There were some youtube vids that showed s few guys who were having trouble with the sights hitting low even after they were fully adjusted. Is this a common problem? Please share your experiences, pros vs cons and/or any info about this gun.

Thanks, Isaac

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Any experience with Charter Arms Revolvers?

They had a few questionable years but overall a solid gun imo. Customer service is outstanding. Super fast turnaround if you send a pistol and quality work. Don't think you can go wrong ! Congrats

From my personal experience working at a busy gun shop and range the earlier models were decent. In the mid 2000's they went to shit and I saw many many issues with their products out of the box to the point the shop stopped carrying them and I would never recommend one.

Maybe they changed for the better and I'm sure some good ones hit during those time periods as well but I would never buy a new production gun without having handled an exact example of that model in person, especially when it's considered a budget gun.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 14th, 2017 at 10:22 PM.

(Berks County)

I bought one. Experimental finish. Hydro dip. Called it the gator, I think. Came with two cylinders. One was black, it wasn't timed. It was impossible to make it rotate. The other one dipped and it wouldn't lock up if you lightly dragged on the cylinder when it turned. I called and got the president of the company without even trying. Turn around was like a week. Everything was perfect when I got it back. The experiment in hydro dip was not perfect. The coating came off the trigger and hammer quick. All in all I find it a decent gun for the money and a great company.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ammo View Post
    HAHAHA a little late after ordering one for that question! :O) They aren't high end but they are not junk.
    LOL I thought the same thing while making this post. It was a rather hasty decision on my part, but nothing else was in stock in my price range. Hopefully it will work out. I did watch a bunch of youtube videos and review some info on the web prior to making the decision.

(Allegheny County)

I have the South Paw 38sp. Very unique Revolver for us lefties. I occasionally get some "lite strikes" with Winchester Primers on my loads, but all in all I like it. Never had to deal with the company but I heard very good things about them. Since you brought up this topic, I'm going to have to get that sucker down the range again. It's been a while!!! Thanks