Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Large Rifle primers Vs. Large Rifle Magnum

hey i was just wondering if anyone who reloads for a magnum rifle (any magnum) if they ever heard of, or have loaded a mag. cartridge with a regular rifle primer...ive recently heard that (and it makes sense) that the smaller the primer flash the more consistant the burn = better accuracy...has anyone done this and could tell me what they think of it....thx

(Centre County)

Default Re: Large Rifle primers Vs. Large Rifle Magnum

Magnum rifle primers, like magnum pistol primers are used for a reason. Typically for reliable ignition of a lot of powder, especially the extruded type. IMO using a regular instead of a magnum (when the load calls for a magnum) is not going to help you and you actually may get not so good of results. The powder and bullet companies put a lot of research into the loads that they publish to give the reloader good, safe, reliable loads.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I understand what you're saying Xring, but I also believe that the question is related to Short Magnums. Archer's new rifle is a .270 WSM. Still the same answer?

(Centre County)

Well, I still have to go with the bullet makers and powder makers, I would hope that they know what might be best to ignite the powder. Now, that is not to say that a person couldn't experiment to see if they can modify a load to get more accuracy or a better burn. But for anyone new to reloading, they need to get some experience before experimenting. I don't know Archer007er so I had to go by his post and he said any magnums, he didn't specify the .270WSM. I don't have access to my loading manuals right now so I don't know what powders are being recommended for that round. If he is specifically talking about the 270WSM I'd have to look at the load data and that could change my answer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Washington County)

I was taught that magnum primers were used for igniting slower burning powders, not necessarily for magnum calibers. For instance, a 44 magnum loaded with Bullseye powder wouldn't need a magnum primer, but if you were loading H-110, it would. Same would go for loading a non-magnum round, like the .44 special, or .45ACP, etc.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(York County)

good call bloom, i mean it would make sense that they would design it (the primer) to specifically ignite the slower burning powders, but ive googled the shit out of the LR vs. LRM primers and it never came up...ill have to be more specific in my search, but thx for the info

(Lycoming County)

I use magnum primers in my 30-06 and 308 loads. I just like knowing that just in case its needed there is a little more fire. And as far as the accurecy goes my 06 load put 3 shots in the same hole at 100 yards out of a remington 7600 with magnum primers. so i dont think it decreases your accurecy.

(Jefferson County)

I was taught pretty much as bloomautomatic explained.

In my experiences, both personal and with the USMC as a small arms repairmen/armorist(we handloaded the snipers', RECON's and other special operation's loads) - magnums generally were more consistent. However each cartridge, powder load, firearm, bullet weight/BC/etc, temperature, atmospheric pressure is an individual case that should be handled accordingly. For some folks they may find a nonmagnum will give better results overall, others may find a magnum is best.

I use magnums only, both in rifle and handgun. The price difference is nil, and I can use the same primer throughout many different casings with the same pocket size. The only bad thing I've noticed is a rise in chamber pressures with magnums versus nonmagnums - thus sometimes requiring lessor powder loads. With really long barrels you sometimes want the extra powder to gain velocity instead of a faster spike in pressure that you'd need with shorter barrels.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 10th, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Good call jlr666.
    My friend has been shooting benchrest for years, and ALWAYS uses magnum primers in his bench loads just for the consistant ignition, and, he says, better burn.