Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default gun control? no, ammunition control. HB 1115 requirement of pics check

i try to read all daily updates from: http://www.legis.state.pa.us
    this came through this morning.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&bn=1115
    "Posted: February 24, 2017 12:06 PM
    To: All House members
    Subject: Background Checks for Ammunition Sales

In the near future, I will be introducing a bill that would regulate the sale of ammunition in the same way that firearm sales are currently regulated.

Under my bill, only a licensed dealer may sell ammunition. It does not create a separate license for ammunition sales, but rather allows a business to use its existing license to sell both firearms and ammunition. When a person wishes to purchase ammunition, the licensee would have to contact the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS), and the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) would conduct a background investigation. A person who is prohibited by state law from possessing a firearm would also be prohibited from purchasing and possessing ammunition.

Moreover, my bill would allow individuals to apply for a PSP ammunition purchase authorization which if approved, would last for four years, and allow an individual to purchase ammunition during that time period without the need to get a background check for every ammunition purchase. The purchase authorization would be revoked by the PSP upon the occurrence of an event which would disqualify a person from purchasing a firearm or ammunition. Additionally, my bill codifies the existing procedure requiring handguns ordered online to first be shipped to a licensee for a PICS check, and applies this same procedure to online ammunition purchases.

Pennsylvania does not currently regulate ammunition sales, so any retail store or Internet website can sell ammunition. The perpetrator of the 2012 mass shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, was able to order more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition online in a process that the New York Times described as “pretty much as easy as ordering a book from Amazon.” It makes sense to prevent those who should not possess a firearm from gaining access to the ammunition that is vital to the operation of all guns.

I believe that my bill would help reduce gun injury without unduly burdening responsible, law-abiding gun owners, as they will still be able to purchase their ammunition in the same store where they buy firearms. I ask that you please join me in co-sponsoring this important legislation."

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...lator/#address
    Last edited by fallenleader; April 11th, 2017 at 07:47 AM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: gun control? no, ammunition control. HB 1115 requirement of pics check

Every time I see this pop up I wonder if these people know that you can reload ammo and how that would factor in? Would you you have to get an FFL to make ammo?

Also they keep bringing up how they have large quantities of ammo, in this case 6,000 rounds, but he only shot half his drum mag before it jammed. So really that 6,000 rounds was kind of waste of $1,500. Also you would need a shit load of mags to hold that much ammo which is another couple hundred bucks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: gun control? no, ammunition control. HB 1115 requirement of pics check

Dear Brian Sims.

Eat a bag of dicks.

(Schuylkill County)

"I believe that my bill would help reduce gun injury without unduly burdening responsible, law-abiding gun owners,..."

Ahh.. that good old liberal lie.. never gets old..

Contacting my rep meow...
    III%

Hokkmike Guest

Activism and election to public office

Sims served as the President of Equality Pennsylvania, and as the Chairman of the Gay and Lesbian Lawyers of Philadelphia (GALLOP), until he stepped down from both positions in 2011. In 2009, Sims joined the faculty of the Center for Progressive Leadership and the National Campaign Board of the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund. Additionally, he was selected as one of the Top 40 LGBT Attorneys Under 40 in the United States by the National LGBT Bar Association in 2010.[8]

In 2011, Sims announced his intentions to run for representative of the 182nd Legislative District in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.[4][9] Sims defeated Babette Josephs, a 28-year incumbent, in the 2012 Democratic primary.[10] He did not face a Republican challenger in the November general election and was elected.

Sims was the first openly gay person elected to the Pennsylvania General Assembly.[11] Although he was not sworn in until January 1, 2013, because Pennsylvania state representatives' term of service and legislative duties officially begin on the first day of December following their election,[12] Sims shares the designation of being its first openly gay member with Rep. Mike Fleck (R–Huntingdon), who came out in a newspaper article published later that day.[13]

In the 2016 elections, Sims was briefly a candidate for Pennsylvania's 2nd congressional district, but opted to run for re-election to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives instead. Sims was challenged by Lou Lanni, Marni Snyder, and Ben Waxman in the Democratic primary, defeating all three.[14] Sims did not face a Republican challenger in the November 2016 general election.
    Pennsylvania House of Representatives

In June 2013, after the Defense of Marriage Act had been ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, Sims tried to make a speech in the Pennsylvania House supporting the decision. Daryl Metcalfe, who was one of several representatives who blocked Sims from speaking, said ”I did not believe that as a member of that body that I should allow someone to make comments such as he was preparing to make that ultimately were just open rebellion against what the word of God has said, what God has said, and just open rebellion against God’s law.”.[15]

A staunch advocate for equality and civil rights, Sims made national news on October 3, 2013 when he and fellow Democratic Rep. Steve McCarter introduced legislation to legalize Same-Sex Marriage in Pennsylvania.[16] Sims has also introduced a bill with fellow Democratic State Representative Erin Molchany to help reduce and eliminate the gender gap in rate of pay as well as legislation to ban the practice of Conversion therapy with Rep. Gerald Mullery.[17][18]

Sims has also seen success in working with federal legislators on issues of LGBT civil rights.[19] On March 28, 2013, Sims penned an open letter to U.S. Senator and fellow Pennsylvania Democrat Bob Casey, Jr. urging him to come out publicly in support of same-sex marriage.[20] Three days later, on April 1, 2013, Senator Casey publicly voiced his support for same-sex marriage in a newspaper interview.[21]

Eight months later, on November 1, 2013, in anticipation of a coming vote on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) in the U.S. Senate, Sims published a letter to Republican U.S. Senator Pat Toomey urging him to vote in favor of the LGBT civil rights legislation.[22] Several days later, when the legislation came up for a vote, Senator Toomey voted in support of the bill.[23]

In a statement released by Sims' office, Sims said:

“I have long believed that civil rights cannot be a one party issue. Sen. Casey has supported LGBT civil rights from nondiscrimination to marriage equality, and I am proud to see him continue to demonstrate that support tonight. I am especially proud of Sen. Toomey who tonight confirmed to Americans across the nation that civil rights is not an issue of right and left, but an issue of right and wrong. Senator Toomey’s vote in support of ENDA shows that a conservative ideology and support for LGBT equality are not mutually exclusive.”[19]

On November 11, 2013, Sims teamed with Republican State Representative Bryan Cutler to introduce a bill to replace Pennsylvania's system of electing judges with a merit-based system.[24] Sims has garnered attention for his commitment to bipartisanship and collaboration between the Commonwealth's Democratic and Republican parties.[25]

Sims currently serves of the House Commerce, Game and Fish, Human Services, State Government, and Tourism and Recreation Committees. Sims serves as Democratic Chair of the Human Services Subcommittee on Mental Health.[26]

Quote Originally Posted by CMP703006 View Post
    Every time I see this pop up I wonder if these people know that you can reload ammo and how that would factor in? Would you you have to get an FFL to make ammo?

Also they keep bringing up how they have large quantities of ammo, in this case 6,000 rounds, but he only shot half his drum mag before it jammed. So really that 6,000 rounds was kind of waste of $1,500. Also you would need a shit load of mags to hold that much ammo which is another couple hundred bucks.
    i read the memo twice, it has so many errors in logic that it's pathetic. the only somewhat "good" part is he is adding "ammunition" as a prohibited item for prohibited people. even then, whats the point in prohibiting ammo from a person prohibited to have a weapon?
    he cites one incident from out of state, and then makes a bunch of demands the pics system wont be able to handle.
    if something like this were to actually pass, it'd be a foot in the door for more, which would be prompted by the change in buying habits.
    more ltcf's (for the 4-5 year not having to get checked thing) or larger less frequent ammo sales. "omgawds ppl are buying 6k rounds consistently now!!! we have to limit what they can buy at a time!"
    it'd also be adding pics check fees onto the cost of ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    "I believe that my bill would help reduce gun injury without unduly burdening responsible, law-abiding gun owners,..."

Ahh.. that good old liberal lie.. never gets old..

Contacting my rep meow...
    ty... but meow?
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lancaster County)

Chairman of the Gay and Lesbian Lawyers of Philadelphia (GALLOP)
    Can bronies join?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    He will! He will suck it with gleeful abandon.

(Chester County)

Sims is the same dick-smoker that called for a boycott against Yuengling beers after the visit from DJT, Jr. to the brewery during the presidential campaign in 2016.

I'd tell him what he can do with a long neck bottle but, I'm afraid he'd enjoy it too much. A-hole!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast