Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default The Shield niche

In this thread I'll be using the Shield as kind of an exalted ambassador of a particular pistol niche, the polymer single-stack compact 9mm concealed carry pistol which handles like a full sized pistol. THis thread is aimed at people who have somewhat settled on S&W's Shield as their main carry piece, although I'm also interested in hearing from people who regard the Shield as an important contestant in a particular niche, and may have spent some time carring one even if they moved on to carry a different gun most of the time. I carried a number of compact pistols before settling very firmly on the Shield. There are several others which could fill the same role: For me, namely the XDs and Bersa's BP9cc

In my case, settling on the Shield for EDC wasn't because of any reviews so much. I just held one a few times and it seemed like a no-brainer. I probably checked the reviews a couple times just to see what the biggest complaint and virtues were, but I knew I wanted a Shield badly since the first time I saw one. When I bought my Shield, the KelTec P11 was my EDC/CC gun, to give an idea of what I was stepping "up" from. I also carried a Bersa Thunder .45 for awhile....but I know that's a slightly different niche because of the weight and the cartridge.

What I want to know here is, if you CC the Shield for EDC (or one of it's closest cousins like the XDs) what is your BUG. And if you think you need more firepower than the Shield niche can provide in a more dramatic or serious self-defense scenario, what then do you step up to. This is how I'm seeking to define the "Shield niche": By what lies just outside of it for some people. If your Shield suddenly was lost or broken but you needed to go to the bank or a restaurant, or coat pocket carry, or head to the corner store with shorts on... what would you grab INSTEAD? If you thought you might be dealing with multiple attackers or superior firepower and a Shield type gun wasn't quite enough, what would you grab then? I'm mostly curious to hear from people who already (like me) feel that a Shield or similar gun provides exactly what you need 90% of the time.

I think the key to the popularity of the Shield and it's close competitors is that it finally addressed a niche which had been danced around for some time before a few manufacturers finally got it right. What does the Shield really sit between on the shelf? Based on situational considerations, What is the next step up for you, and what is the next step down....and why?

In my case I grab a Makarov when the Shield isnt handy. And if I anticipate more danger than my Shield can provide for, then I either step up to my Hi-Power for capacity or a .357for power.
    Last edited by FJW; April 10th, 2017 at 12:36 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: The Shield niche

BUG = LCP
    EDC = SHIELD9
    TOP DOG CC = G30s w/G21, 13 round mag. as secondary

I'd say that I'm probably 75% Shield/25% LCP with the LCP pocket carried much more during the Summer. I'm very comfortable with the G30s' reliability but have yet to carry it CC. I also have a 2nd LCP & 2nd Shield9, I believe in the 2 is 1 and 1 is none philosophy.

EDC Glock 19,BUG Glock 43 ! Owned a couple of Shields and my biggest issue was the mags are a bitch to load ! And before you say the Glock 19 is too heavy I IWB which is very comfortable or OWB the Glock 43 !

(Delaware County)

I carry a 5" 1911 IWB wearing pants or shorts. Why would I step down to a mouse gun that I can barely get my ring finger on even with the extended mags?

(Bucks County)

I keep my shield on my motorcycle during cold weather. It comes off in late spring.

I've head a shield for years now, has the thumb safety built into the slide that I never use, no way to grab that thing in high stress situations. It's a great small gun, you can carry it in your back pocket. It's accurate, reliable and the trigger doesn't suck too much, but it's not the best. I have ~500 rounds through it both wwb and pdx hollow points and it's eaten every round reliably. It's a great gun for NPE carry, the draw backs are that of any single stack gun. The round count. 9 rounds doesn't give me the same warm fuzzy feeling that 16 do, that's why I retired it to the coffee table for the wife to use as an HD gun and I only carry it when I'm super worried about printing...which isn't often. Most of the time I'm carrying my g4 g19.

(Butler County)

@EatMyDust

This is the kind info I wanted, thanks. Its also very close to how I carry. My Shield has the belt clip and I pretty much never use a holster for it. Been doing it this way for about 2 years now. It even works with gym shorts, no belt needed. If for some reason I can't or dont want to carry IWB, thats when I switch to one of my Makarov based pistols. I am also moee accurate with the Mak family than any other except maybe my Hi-Power. Except one doesnt carry a Hi-Power so easily, nor draw one in a such a jif.

I think maybe if the Shield wasnt available today I'd take a hard look at a S&W39 for EDC. 1911's are also attractive, but while you CAN put it in your pants (hell, I've put 357's in my pants and gone to the store)... obviously its much easier to conceal a Shield or the like, especially if you have to jock it around a little for some reason. The whole gun almost fits in your hand.

MarineDivisionTwo mentioned how hard it is to load a Shield mag. Yep. But at least that says that feeding has a decent force behind it. Some magazine springs seem so light and buttery it makes me wonder. My Bersa. 45's are like that, and sure enough it has more feeding problems than my other guns. Sometimes catridges end up stovepiping ass-up instead of loading.
    Last edited by FJW; April 10th, 2017 at 04:07 PM.

I've had a Shield for many years at least 1k rounds through it from me and what ever the previous owner did. Never a single issue carries well and I've never had an issue loading a magazine so I'm not sure what that's about. My wife took it over a year or so ago so I picked up a used G43 on the cheap.

The Glock is a decent carry piece no issues with failures of any kind. I switched the springs out to a Magguts z spring and get 7+1 in the factory mag configuration and added a set of much needed Tru Glo TFX sights. The Shield is a better all around performer out of the box and it's fun to shoot especially at distance unlike the 43. The 43 is a bit smaller and lighter so it's easier to carry. If I had only one choice it would be the Shield, if I had extra cash right now I would buy another for $244.00 after the current factory rebate.

I don't feel under armed with either the Shield or Glock. If I was going to a place where I felt I would like the philly zoo I would carry my G26 and a spare G19 mag with an x grip on it.

(Bedford County)

I just purchased a shield with crimson trace pre-installed. It is my EDC now in a Bulldog leather holster, size medium. At 60 years old the laser is handy and very accurate. 9 rounds is a little low for me but according to those Internet experts gunfights seldom need more than 7 rounds. I was carrying a Canik 9mm in a shoulder holster but now that tee shirt weather is here not so much. I give the shield a 10 out of 10 for comfort. I can hardly Remember I am carrying because of size and weight. I give it an 8 out of 10 for firepower. A 9 out of 10 for accuracy within 20 yards. This is due to the laser. I live on a farm so I am usually close to shotguns and ARS and larger pistols. I also have the XDS in 40 Which I think is a horrible carry pistol. All in all I am 99% satisfied with the shield. I have a Sig Sauer P320 RX with Romeo reflex sight preinstalled on order which I might carry. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerLeo View Post
    I just purchased a shield with crimson trace pre-installed. It is my EDC now in a Bulldog leather holster, size medium. At 60 years old the laser is handy and very accurate. 9 rounds is a little low for me but according to those Internet experts gunfights seldom need more than 7 rounds. I was carrying a Canik 9mm in a shoulder holster but now that tee shirt weather is here not so much. I give the shield a 10 out of 10 for comfort. I can hardly Remember I am carrying because of size and weight. I give it an 8 out of 10 for firepower. A 9 out of 10 for accuracy within 20 yards. This is due to the laser. I live on a farm so I am usually close to shotguns and ARS and larger pistols. I also have the XDS in 40 Which I think is a horrible carry pistol. All in all I am 99% satisfied with the shield. I have a Sig Sauer P320 RX with Romeo reflex sight preinstalled on order which I might carry. We'll see.

I've been on the hunt for a Sig 320 RX compact as well. Impossible to find but when I do and if it works out the G26 is a goner and maybe the 43.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast