Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Unhappy Pioneer Gunshop owner passed away yesterday.

Just saw Bob's obit in today's (Altoona Mirror) paper. Since he (and the shop) have been the center of a few interesting threads here at PAFOA I thought I'd pass on the news.

I found out a few weeks back he was in bad health, but, I did not know how bad off he was until I stopped by the shop last week. Last few years he was actually nice to me, instead of the expected grumpy bob I was used to ever since I was a kid and we used to be next door neighbors. Customer service in the shop has been much better since my first run in with one of his employees back in 2005, when i retired from the USAF and moved back to the local area. Like him or hate him, there will never be another Bob Buchanan, hehe, which depending on what side of the fence you sat, might be a good thing.

Not sure what is going to happen to the shop. I was led to believe his daughter is going to take over. Not sure what is going to happen to the amazing collection of Curio and Relics hanging from the ceiling and mounted on the walls and in other displays.

If I understand correctly, he was a Skyraider (Navy) pilot during the Korean War. Did not know that until just a few years ago. RIP Bob, you grumpy old bastard.
    Last edited by GLHX2112; April 6th, 2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Grammer.
    USAF Security Police

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Pioneer Gunshop owner passed away yesterday.

He wasn't a particularly pleasing fellow to deal with. But blessings to him and condolences to his family.

(Elk County)

Bob was a Marine aviator, flew a Skyraider in ground support in Korea.

Semper Fi,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Blair County)

I know its a long dead thread, but i never saw the blair county section before today
    Bob could be grumpy but if you know his back story its enough to make anyone salty.
    If you gave it back to him he would smile....
    If you wanted him to be really nice to you bring your wife with you.
    He was a whole other guy when I brought my wife in there to get her a little 38 about 10 years ago.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    . . . Bob could be grumpy but . . . If you gave it back to him he would smile....
    If you wanted him to be really nice to you bring your wife with you . . .
    He was a miserable cuss to me when I visited the store from the early 80s until years later when I stopped and he and a customer were discussing 1911 pistols. Bob was saying one thing, correctly, about 1911s, and the other customer was disagreeing, making some "nuh-uhh" claim. I piped up and agreed with Bob, and the customer asked how I knew, and I replied that I worked on 1911s as a Marine armorer. Bob's head snapped around at me. I asked to see a 1911 and if I could field strip it, and showed the guy what Bob was trying to tell him. Bob ended up selling a gun, but I left before they were finished. A couple months later I was driving back through and stopped, and he asked my name, shook my hand, and thanked me for setting the customer straight. His demeanor completely changed. Now, that did not stop him from giving me shit during future stops, but I did as Edg said -- handed it right back, usually "Is this really a gun shop or just a museum?" and then Bob'd be like a normal human being. Twice my wife came inside with me, and he was the picture of model behavior. Just the way he was.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.