Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Sub $1000 medium range/possible hunting rifle.

If you want a beautiful, accurate rifle. Something you want to pass down to your son that's special. Check out a Weatherby Mark V. Accurate, great adjustable trigger, super smooth bolt and beautiful wood stock. I picked one up used without a scratch on it for $900. Mine is a .300 Win mag and it shoots just under 1 moa with Federal blue box. I'm sure I could cut that in half with reloads.

If you just want an accurate gun to hunt with I would buy a Savage. My cheap $300 Savage .270 shoots clover leafs at 100 yrds with Federal blue box.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Northumberland County)

id say the Remington 700 cuz the reciever is the strongest ever built! it can handle any handloads.

(Schuylkill County)

I wouldn't recommend a Remington 700. There have been many reports of them firing without pulling the trigger. I witnessed this happen to my nephew. It is a very nice rifle otherwise.

I would recommend a Tikka T3. I own a T3 Lite in .30-06. It's accurate, smooth action, and has a nice adjustable trigger.

(Montgomery County)

Here is a used Tika in 6.5 Creedmoor on the Long Range Hunters Magazine Forum: http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...edmoor-185156/

(Montgomery County)

double post
    Last edited by MD66948; April 2nd, 2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    id say the Remington 700 cuz the reciever is the strongest ever built! it can handle any handloads.
    Actually the Weatherby is the strongest. Look it up.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Weatherby Vanguard barrel and action is made in Japan by Howa. Their employees are prohibited to own one.

Today, Weatherby still offers only two lines of centerfire rifles: the Mark V and the Vanguard. The Mark V barreled action is manufactured by ATEK in Brainerd, MN while the barrel and action for the Vanguard are still manufactured by Howa in Japan. Final assembly of the Mark V and Vanguard is performed at Weatherby's company headquarters in Paso Robles. The Mark V uses two action sizes. The larger 9-lug bolt action is used for all larger Weatherby magnum calibers. The smaller 6-lug action (in two lengths) is used for the 240 Weatherby, and all standard calibers. (The 224 Weatherby Magnum is no longer offered as a regular production caliber, but presumably could be special ordered.) Both the Mark V and Vanguard are available as sub-MOA rifles in various models (ranging from blued to stainless steel metal and kevlar to wood stocks) and calibers .223 (Vanguard only) through .300 Weatherby Magnum. Calibers .340 through .460 are only available on the Mark V due to the stronger bolt
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    A Remington 700 in whatever caliber you prefer is pretty timeless., It's often used to shoot out to 1000 yards, and there is an almost endless aftermarket for it.
    This.

OP, you do not want a light weight 300WM/300WSM...light barrels on mags are terrible for recoil.

People recommending Remington are probably recommending them due to past reputation. Remington is not the company they once were that is for sure.

I'd say get the Sako/Tikka rifles as your base rifle. You cannot beat Sako/Tikka action and if you keep the rifle stock, you will still be very happy.

I have owned a lot of rifles over the years and my current standard action is Savage. The reason for me using Savage is it allows it's owners to DIY for much of the upgrades you will ever do to the rifle.

Look at some different rifles, handle them, work the action, take a good look at the fit/finish, rifling quality etc. In early 2000 when I was in the market for a bolt gun for hunting I chose the Rem 700. Just felt and looked like the best rifle in the price range. Keep in mind a lot has changed in 17 years, Remington has went downhill a lot and it is unlikely I would pick the 700 today considering what other options are out there. Even on my rifle the bore finish isn't near what it should be IMO, pretty rough and holds copper. But it shoots decent at 100 and 200 so I run with it. Its a lightweight barrel also, works but a lighter than I would buy again. Find a gun shop or two with a bunch of different rifles and feel them up. Make sure to look at some CZ bolt rifles.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast