Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Pandora Sphinx... wow

Just went out to look at my grape vines that I planted this year and one of them is missing about 1/2 the leaves... looks like someone took a knife and just cut off all the leaves on 2 of the 3 sections of vine. I checked the plants on Friday Morning and they were fine

then I saw the culprit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eumorpha_pandorus

this fat little bastard sucked down at least 30 grape leaves. Hope like hell there aren't anymore out there.

Never saw one of these before and I've lived in the area 25+ years and we had grape vines for a large portion of that time.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Default Re: Pandora Sphinx... wow

I live in Philly and we had grapes but could not get much . I don't know what the problem was but ten years ago we goy rid o fall the grapes. I don't remeber seeing anything like that before but it appears to have a voracious appetite. I wish you the best in getting rid of this pest.

Grapes are excellent eating

Ed

(Bucks County)

YOWSERS! That's a big moth!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ihunt49 View Post
    YOWSERS! That's a big moth!
    Its gotta be! You should see the size of the larva! I saw it on the vine and had to look 2 or 3 times because I was like no way is that what is eating the leaves!

Its got to be at least the size of my index finger. I'll get some pics of the plant tomorrow... this thing literally went straight up the branch and ate absolutely every piece of the leaf from the stem out.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.