Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pc

Default New Pc

I am looking at various computers, with an idea of buying a new one , I am not sure if I should try to build one myself as I have never done that before , so I will probably buy one from Gateway or Dell, or some other brand. I am assuming that I would need 8 Gigabytes of RAM and a Terabyte of hard disk storage. Any thoughts on this , please advise.

Thanks Ed

(Butler County)

Default Re: New Pc

You have to be more specific about what you are going to use it for.

8 GB of ram? Sure if you are doing something that will require 8 GB of ram within the time you have the computer, and if you opt for a 64bit OS. 1 TB hard drive? Ok, they are cheap enough.

If it were me, for normal everyday tasks and longevity:

1. Choose the latest and greatest CPU, but not at the latest and greatest speed. e.g. a middle of the line quad core.

2. Choose a video card that meets your needs. e.g. only go really high end if you are a gamer or otherwise require a high end video card. Don't go bargain bucket, try to stay middle priced.

3. Get at least 2GB of ram, not more than 4GB unless you have a 64bit OS.

4. Hard drives are cheap, I suggest more than one. I prefer multiple drives over one end all huge drive. e.g. get a small drive to install your OS, and a large drive for mass storage.

5. I prefer a good, large monitor over high end computer specs most of the time. Multiple monitors is even better, I suggest 2.

6. Onboard sound and LAN work for me... Audiophiles would opt for a standalone sound card.

7. If you build it, get a higher end case and more importantly a high end power supply.

My $.02

(Chester County)

All of the above ^^^, plus:

Building your own PC is kind of like building your own AR. You can hand pick the components and have a one of a kind, just what you want end product, maybe save a little money, and have bragging rights for rolling your own. Also like an AR, components are fairly standard and interchangeable, but there is the chance of hitting a compatibility issue.

It's been a while since I tried piecing together my own PC, but back in the day, when I compared my configuration to a comparable Dell or Gateway, the savings didn't justify the time and effort in buying all the components and putting it together. I think unless your a hard core gamer or power user, you'd be hard pressed to put together your system with any substantial savings over a prebuilt brand name. And keep in mind, even if you save a couple hundred bucks on the hardware, you're going to need an OS and some apps to do anything. Ch'ching (unless your a linux guru). Just stay away from the bargain basement PCs made by a company that also makes guitars, TVs, bedroom furniture and lawn tractors.

I agree 100% with twister's recommedations, and suggest you go to Dell and/or Gateway.com, pick a basic PC that has the processor he recommended, and then customize it. Then you can add ram, a better video and/or sound card, network interface, hard drive, monitor size or whatever and get the "custom built" price. Play around a bit adding and removing components until your dream PC and your budget filter down to a suitable compromise.
    Last edited by str8shooter; September 7th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Monroe County)

Just buy a Dell... If you are asking for advice then you probably aren't a hardcore gamer and thats pretty much the only reason you would need to build your own.

Video editing and graphics can be a butt kick on a PC as well but once again, if you are asking on here you are most likely not doing any of this professionally so it wouldn't matter.

Plus with Dell you get a warranty which is nice to have.

If you are just getting a new machine for general usage buy a laptop.

- 4 Gb should be plenty of RAM for anyone, even gamers. You won't need or use 8 Gb. DO NOT go below 2 Gig if you are going to use Vista

- Hard drive space is cheap... but if you aren't using it then why pay for it? Yeah you can drop 500 bucks on storage space however most users will never use more then 200 - 250 gig. If anyone other then a video editing professional or graphic designer uses more then 200 Gb then you need to clean out your HD.

- Get a DVD Burner, and a DVD reader if you can, makes copying discs much easier

- Don't forget the sound system
    Last edited by Dredly; September 7th, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

were I you, I would youtube some pc building vids...

if you've never done it before, some things are still a bit tricky... like putting silver paste on the cpu at just the right thickness, wiring the cables so they dont impede airflow, and hooking up the little bastard case hdd/power/reset pins.

also, you definitely want a big case with a lot of airflow.

building the first time is kind of scary, but worth it.

if you have a budget, i can get you a build.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Somerset County)

I gotta agree with Dreadly, if you want bombproof, buy an off-the-shelf computer.

Now, here's a rub, with the recent develpoments, a Mac Pro desktop will run Windows native apps, hell, A MAC runs Vista better than most PCs.

As far as video editing goes, Macs are far better at that, and graphics, than a PC. Just the nature of the graphics industry.
    This space open for sponsorship

(Allegheny County)

What are you using it for?

I am currently using a Gateway PC with 1 gig of RAM , I noticed that it is getting slower to load pages on this FORUM and also other forums , my wife and I both use the PC and she is using email andweb searches and will eventually use MS word, excell, andpowerpoint. hePC is two yearsoldand works well except for a lot of sites , . I was going to upgrade the memory to 2 gigs of RAM , but I don't think that will take her too far as far as useful life is concerned . As my wife learns more of the basics of computing she will need to have a more powerful PC, I wil eventually need a PC for myself as she is getting more adept at surfing the web and using email.

Presently email does not take up too many resources but the web sites are breaking my back with the extra crap on the web sites slowing me down.

I have done a defrag and that helps . But as time goes on I will need more and more ram. especially for anti virus programs and general web surfing.

I wish to thank everyone fortheir input. and I will send rep as soon as possible.

Ed

(Allegheny County)

If it is just for basic computing then I vote dell as well. Simple, inexpensive way to go.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by er2006 View Post
    I am currently using a Gateway PC with 1 gig of RAM , I noticed that it is getting slower to load pages on this FORUM and also other forums , my wife and I both use the PC and she is using email andweb searches and will eventually use MS word, excell, andpowerpoint. hePC is two yearsoldand works well except for a lot of sites , . I was going to upgrade the memory to 2 gigs of RAM , but I don't think that will take her too far as far as useful life is concerned . As my wife learns more of the basics of computing she will need to have a more powerful PC, I wil eventually need a PC for myself as she is getting more adept at surfing the web and using email.

Presently email does not take up too many resources but the web sites are breaking my back with the extra crap on the web sites slowing me down.

I have done a defrag and that helps . But as time goes on I will need more and more ram. especially for anti virus programs and general web surfing.

I wish to thank everyone fortheir input. and I will send rep as soon as possible.

Ed
    If all you are doing is basic stuff (which you are) it would most likely be much more cost effective to just add another stick or 2 of RAM if you can. It sounds like you may also need to clean out the spyware and temp internet files which I'm sure you have as those will cause exactly what you are seeing

Also your internet speed is pretty important, go to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and pick the closest server to test your speed, if you have cable you may be on a full section and need to call their support, if you have dial up or slow DSL thats your issue.

I hear a lot of people complaining about PC speed but in all honesty for Internet browsing and word processing you don't need much more then you did 5 years ago, add more ram, get spybot search and destroy and AdAware and run them both weekly and you should be okay. You may also want to get an AV program... I really don't know who is good anymore as I haven't needed one for years.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast