Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Reviews: FCO, Claytons, Target World

I was looking at the local (to me) ranges to consider which to get a pistol membership. Here are my thoughts on each:

French Creek Outfitters - Phoenixville
    Fairly large Outdoor sports store with a decent gun section. Range staff was indifferent. Sales staff was friendly and knowledgeable.

The range has 5 lanes. The sound damping is fairly shot up (including the ceilings). The target system is the manual switch type with no markings on the walls for estimating distance. The lighting was OK, not great.
    $15/hr. $225/year.

Clayton's Range - Horsham
    Fully stocked gun shop. Small store loaded wall to wall with ammo and accessories. The walking space is tight when it's crowded. The cases are full us handguns, the staff is helpful and knowledgeable with an on sight gunsmith.

The range has 8 lanes, well lit, with a manual target system with markings on the walls to help judge distance. The air exchange system does very well and keeps the range cooler than you would expect. Sound damping was OK, seemed louder than the other ranges. Very long waits on crowded days. I was 7th in line when I arrived. Took about 90 minutes to get a lane (not complaining, just saying).
    $20/hr. $200/year

Target World - Chalfont
    Fully stocked gun shop. Two floors of everything from ammo to safes. Staff is courteous and knowledgeable.

The range is has 15 lanes, is clean, bright, and modern. The target system is computerized and easy to use. The air exchange system works well and the range is kept comfortable. The sound damping is quieter than the others. I've been there 4x and have yet to wait. That being said, the line when I left was growing. Guess I've been lucky so far. They have a few more rules than the other ranges, and hold you to them. But most are common sense anyway. If they don't know you or haven't shot there before, you can expect to be treated like a noob until you show you know what you're doing. It's their way of keeping things safe... like it or not. It's fine by me, being new to shooting.
    $20/hr. $250/year.

I preferred Target World enough to get a 1 year Pistol Membership.
    Last edited by Auriemma; March 5th, 2017 at 11:03 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Reviews: FCO, Claytons, Target World

I work in Chalfont for the moment, everybody from that area always have bad things to say about target world.. think I'll check it out for myself

I hate that claytons is always croweded.. they have a very safe range with that high tech filtration system, Ammo there is fairly price considering all things

Edit... did you see the $2500 Colt Python in the case at claytons... if only I had the money lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    I work in Chalfont for the moment, everybody from that area always have bad things to say about target world.
    You used to hear more horror stories about Clayton's. Fortunately the owner is so busy with background checks these days that he has a lot less interaction with patrons. I am not a fan of the range nazis at Target World, my worst experience was having to listen to one explain why AR & AK pistols are too dangerous to shoot there despite half a dozen previous visits without incident. Whatever, their range / their rules. I shot at French Creek yesterday for the first time in a while, it's worth mentioning that for the most part, you can't shoot rifle calibers on their range. They also only allow brass cased ammo, I witnessed one of the older range officers scream at someone for shooting steel last year. It was pretty unprofessional, the shooter wasn't doing anything unsafe to warrant being bitched out like that. Target World allows aluminum case ammo, & Clayton's will let you shoot anything. I am not a fan of steel or aluminum but shooters on a budget may take that into consideration.
    Last edited by itchinesu; March 5th, 2017 at 11:49 AM.

(Montgomery County)

You can have range nazis at any range. Careless shooters as well. Ranges with their own specific rules (Their house. Their rules). It's how it goes. Just yesterday at TW, an RSO stopped me and asked if I would shoot lower down on the target. I use 11x17 sheets with (6) 5" targets, hung vertically. He asked I hang it horizontally, with less chance of hitting the ceiling. He was very polite about it and explained his reasons. No worries.

Don't get me wrong, I would shoot at any of these ranges.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Auriemma View Post
    You can have range nazis at any range. Careless shooters as well. Ranges with their own specific rules (Their house. Their rules). It's how it goes. Just yesterday at TW, an RSO stopped me and asked if I would shoot lower down on the target. I use 11x17 sheets with (6) 5" targets, hung vertically. He asked I hang it horizontally, with less chance of hitting the ceiling. He was very polite about it and explained his reasons. No worries.

Don't get me wrong, I would shoot at any of these ranges.
    I can definitely understand the range nazism... gotta keep the cost down from range repairs, I don't particularly know the requirements of building a dedicated range but I'm sure the owner doesn't want to pass costly repairs onto consumers

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    I I don't particularly know the requirements of building a dedicated range but I'm sure the owner doesn't want to pass costly repairs onto consumers
    Target World is happy to charge patrons for repairs. I saw a guy pulled off the line for accidentally shooting the carrier, I think he was charged something like $50 extra.

(Montgomery County)

Clayton's adding 3 handgun only lanes--saw them setting units on roof yesterday--rubber tire pile in parking lot

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNER View Post
    Clayton's adding 3 handgun only lanes--saw them setting units on roof yesterday--rubber tire pile in parking lot
    I read that too. It should help the with the long lines.

Quote Originally Posted by itchinesu View Post
    Target World is happy to charge patrons for repairs. I saw a guy pulled off the line for accidentally shooting the carrier, I think he was charged something like $50 extra.
    Read the paperwork before you sign and shoot. You are responsible for every round you fire.
    (If I recall) Range damage from pistol: $15/occurrence. It's all watched and video recorded.

Do you think the range should eat the cost for a patron's poor shooting?
    Even worse... do you want to be in the lane next to that person?
    Last edited by Auriemma; March 5th, 2017 at 02:41 PM.

I read that too. It should help the with the long lines.
    not 100% but I read the extra lanes are for private training classes.

Do you think the range should eat the cost for a patron's poor shooting?
    You are comparing three ranges, Target World is the only one that charges customers for repairs so that is something else to consider when buying a membership.

Even worse... do you want to be in the lane next to that person?
    As long as they are pointed in the right direction, what they shoot is not my problem.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by itchinesu View Post
    not 100% but I read the extra lanes are for private training classes.

You are comparing three ranges, Target World is the only one that charges customers for repairs so that is something else to consider when buying a membership.

As long as they are pointed in the right direction, what they shoot is not my problem.
    Good to know on the extra lanes, but I think they would open them up when busy if not in use.

I know FCO charges for hitting the paper clips off the targets.
    Claytons range officer said I'm responsible for all my shots, don't shoot anything I'm not suppose too.
    You can bet both will pull you and charge if you get careless and shoot the equipment.
    Target World is the only one that OPENLY STATES that you will pay for damaging shots. They explain it to you, you read it and sign the form. It's not a hidden charge. If you disagree with it (which you obviously do), why go there?
    And I did consider that, and I still bought my membership.

That's just it, the ceiling and equipment are NOT a targets. If they are that careless, I wouldn't want them in my range. What if the person in the next lane shoots your carrier while your shooting? Hopefully the video exonerates you.
    TW is also the nicest and most up to date range out of the three. FCO's ceiling tiles are shot up, there is no reason for it if it can be avoided... which it can. Openly post the rules and the consequences/fees for breaking them. Get busted once, and you won't do it again... or be allowed too.
    Last edited by Auriemma; March 5th, 2017 at 06:27 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast