Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Reviews: FCO, Claytons, Target World

Living in Lansdale, Target World is pretty convenient for me. It's also where I've purchased all of my firearms so far as Lisa in the store there is experienced in doing paperwork/background checks for non-citizens/VISA holders plus is patient with me (longest check took 3 hours to come through!)

I joined the range and think it's a really nice facility. I've yet to really meet a "Range Nazi" and i think i know all the RSO's now... they are pretty good at enforcing rules like "bags in booths" or poor weapon handling and are quick to inform people when their targets are too high. Other than that they are fairly decent blokes and I often stop to chat/banter after shooting.

Ammo is pretty reasonable. They often have either CCI or Fiocchi 115gr 9mm for less than $10 a box

I was in there on Sunday and coincidentally asked about the Pistol brace/SB Tactical ATF letter and they said "it's fine".

I've shot at Clayton's once and came away with the impression it's old, a little grubby, crazy busy and LOUD! My GF had to leave the range as she couldn't handle the noise (guys either side of us shooting AK pistols)

Yes, I'm British... But I have good teeth!

(Montgomery County)

I've been to Target World four times in the past month; three times with my 13 year old son, once by myself. On our first visit they gave us the usual safety speech (politely, I might add) and asked us to draw what it looks like when acquiring a proper sight picture. Then they had us use a laser training pistol to prove we could hit a target. All in all, took 10 minutes and we haven't had to do it since.

On our subsequent visits everyone has been polite, if not somewhat taciturn, and we never wait for a lane, even on weekends.

Unfortunately they are a good 30 minute drive from my house, whereas Clayton's and Classic Pistol are right around the corner, and cheaper. However neither Clayton's nor Classic Pistol are as nice as TW.

(Montgomery County)

I haven't been to French Creek, but I have to agree with your reviews of Clayton's and Target World. I kind of enjoy the rigidity of the rules and super cleanliness of Target World, but it's a little far for me unfortunately. Clayton's seems relatively relaxed, but not so much that I've ever felt unsafe or unsettled while shooting there. Definitely two very different places, but both that I enjoy shooting at very much.

(Montgomery County)

Clayton's is a landmark place in the area.
    I chose it for an FFL transfer, although there were other and cheaper places much closer to me, which don't have a range.
    Unfortunately, making a transfer, or even in my case buying their overpriced rifle cases (2x similar in stores) didn't entitle me to any free range time, or even a discount.
    A day before I was told to come earlier before opening hours, but when I arrived 30 min before, I was met by a line of people waiting for the range and ready to lynch anyone approaching the door. Opening at 10 am on a Saturday, closed on Sunday in mid pandemic and buying frenzy is just not serious for a business that is largely weekend driven. This makes the buying experience very rushed and not pleasant. At 10:00 am a young gentleman with a coffee cup in his hand came out the door and yelled "purchases on one side, range on the other" and that put some order in the mix.
    When I got in, I asked the young man at the counter to show me how to take the rifle I was buying apart, how to clean in it, what to watch for, instead he mumbled something and went on with the background check. After he finished, he gave me my paperwork, closed my cardboard box and bid me good day. I was shocked by the lack of customer service approach. I wasn't offered ammo, a chance to check it, take it apart, offered a range lane, even simple thing such as the aforementioned overpriced case. How often you buy a rifle and you go out of the door with it in a cardboard box.
    I asked for an additional mag, I was nodded towards the case with magazines, very good priced at that and I bought different size ammo for the rifle. No one cared to notice, until I visited the shooting range and noticed it wasn't loading and asked a staff member to help me. He wasn't able to help because the cartridge was stuck and he couldn't take it out I offered my multitool which he used to damage the plating on bolt well ejection port. He went back, and I fiddled with it and got it out. I am convinced none of those guys know how to take apart a rifle, although they advertise themselves as having a gunsmith on site.
    I was able to return the ammo, it was very carefully inspected, and I was given the correct ammo this time, even was returned a credit.
    I feel the people there are not very loquacious, I am kind of accustomed to expect this from a sales rep kind of a job. They will converse with you, but there seems to be some form of pressure on the people there, that I can't put my finger on, like they have to achieve some quota of people serviced a day.
    I really feel this is more of a place for people who don't want to buy, but simply want to shoot, range is small, and although nicely ventilated and air conditioned, it fails to simply satisfy the needs of the hordes of people eager to shoot, that makes it hard to enforce any type of social distancing. However the store needs to incentivize people that are buying, FFL transfers or not, to maintain better stock, most immportantly, an online store in some of the popular online stores. Not having online store is bad and is not bringing any additional customers. It feels like the place wants that the range is an addition to the store but can't afford to be nothing more than an addition to the range.
    Maybe it is not Clayton's but it is me that has to realize that this is just a small gun shop that has expanded as much as it could have and it is the world that is changing an posing higher demands for more and more, more ammo, guns, more shooting, bigger variety, more selling channels and so on.
    Anyway, I doubt I will use them for anything more than a range in the future, certainly not for selling, nor for buying.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aendil View Post
    I chose it for an FFL transfer, although there were other and cheaper places much closer to me, which don't have a range.
    Unfortunately, making a transfer, or even in my case buying their overpriced rifle cases (2x similar in stores) didn't entitle me to any free range time, or even a discount.
    A day before I was told to come earlier before opening hours, but when I arrived 30 min before, I was met by a line of people waiting for the range and ready to lynch anyone approaching the door. Opening at 10 am on a Saturday, closed on Sunday in mid pandemic and buying frenzy is just not serious for a business that is largely weekend driven. This makes the buying experience very rushed and not pleasant. At 10:00 am a young gentleman with a coffee cup in his hand came out the door and yelled "purchases on one side, range on the other" and that put some order in the mix.
    When I got in, I asked the young man at the counter to show me how to take the rifle I was buying apart, how to clean in it, what to watch for, instead he mumbled something and went on with the background check. After he finished, he gave me my paperwork, closed my cardboard box and bid me good day. I was shocked by the lack of customer service approach. I wasn't offered ammo, a chance to check it, take it apart, offered a range lane, even simple thing such as the aforementioned overpriced case. How often you buy a rifle and you go out of the door with it in a cardboard box.
    I asked for an additional mag, I was nodded towards the case with magazines, very good priced at that and I bought different size ammo for the rifle. No one cared to notice, until I visited the shooting range and noticed it wasn't loading and asked a staff member to help me. He wasn't able to help because the cartridge was stuck and he couldn't take it out I offered my multitool which he used to damage the plating on bolt well ejection port. He went back, and I fiddled with it and got it out. I am convinced none of those guys know how to take apart a rifle, although they advertise themselves as having a gunsmith on site.
    I was able to return the ammo, it was very carefully inspected, and I was given the correct ammo this time, even was returned a credit.
    I feel the people there are not very loquacious, I am kind of accustomed to expect this from a sales rep kind of a job. They will converse with you, but there seems to be some form of pressure on the people there, that I can't put my finger on, like they have to achieve some quota of people serviced a day.
    I really feel this is more of a place for people who don't want to buy, but simply want to shoot, range is small, and although nicely ventilated and air conditioned, it fails to simply satisfy the needs of the hordes of people eager to shoot, that makes it hard to enforce any type of social distancing. However the store needs to incentivize people that are buying, FFL transfers or not, to maintain better stock, most immportantly, an online store in some of the popular online stores. Not having online store is bad and is not bringing any additional customers. It feels like the place wants that the range is an addition to the store but can't afford to be nothing more than an addition to the range.
    Maybe it is not Clayton's but it is me that has to realize that this is just a small gun shop that has expanded as much as it could have and it is the world that is changing an posing higher demands for more and more, more ammo, guns, more shooting, bigger variety, more selling channels and so on.
    Anyway, I doubt I will use them for anything more than a range in the future, certainly not for selling, nor for buying.
    You bought from the internet and expect the transfer agent to show you how to operate the gun. You expect them to be chatting you up. You hand them a multi tool and think they won't scratch things up. You sir expect too much. Almost forgot the expectations of free range time on a sale they didn't make. LOL
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You bought from the internet and expect the transfer agent to show you how to operate the gun. You expect them to be chatting you up. You hand them a multi tool and think they won't scratch things up. You sir expect too much. Almost forgot the expectations of free range time on a sale they didn't make. LOL
    But he's entitled!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Wow!!! You expect WAY too much. The transfer fee barely covers their time and expense, and you want free stuff and butt kissing?!?!?!? Perhaps think about becoming a real customer of theirs and perhaps you'll get a bit more consideration. Think about all the time it would take to provide all the answers, training, and service you think they owe you, and then provide enough profit for them to actually pay for it.
    And FWIW, most customers walk out with the rifle in the manufacturer's box, or no box at all.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I don't know what chatting up is, but obviously, I expect too much. I guess, the $40 is nothing. Yet they post their pricing, they could charge more for an adequate service, instead of charging $40 for basic minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    But he's entitled!
    Am I? For what? Expecting a 3 minute conversation and the chance to be sold some overpriced accessories, ammo and range time? I guess I am.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    Wow!!! You expect WAY too much. The transfer fee barely covers their time and expense, and you want free stuff and butt kissing?!?!?!? Perhaps think about becoming a real customer of theirs and perhaps you'll get a bit more consideration. Think about all the time it would take to provide all the answers, training, and service you think they owe you, and then provide enough profit for them to actually pay for it.
    And FWIW, most customers walk out with the rifle in the manufacturer's box, or no box at all.
    So, their FFL transfer fee is $40. How much they need to make on a sale in order to be able to spend 5 min on a customer? What free stuff, that day I left with $200 worth of purchases, from their store, ammo, accessories and range time. Doesn't that make me a customer? I never said I want something free. Just an adequate level of customer service since they announce themselves as a customer oriented gun marketplace. Read my post again. where did I say I asked them for answers and training? A simple racking and safety operation, open the rifle for cleaning, take the magazine out, should've been adequate for what I asked for. I am only saying I was frustrated as no one cared to do that for me.

All this made it repulsive customer experience, and it is only indicative of the level of service.

(Berks County)

I don't know what chatting up is.
    loquacious

When a handful of people tell you all the ways your being unreasonable, you should listen to them.

As for repulsive experience, ironically appropriate.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

I don't know what chatting up is, but obviously, I expect too much. I guess, the $40 is nothing. Yet they post their pricing, they could charge more for an adequate service, instead of charging $40 for basic minimum.

Am I? For what? Expecting a 3 minute conversation and the chance to be sold some overpriced accessories, ammo and range time? I guess I am.

So, their FFL transfer fee is $40. How much they need to make on a sale in order to be able to spend 5 min on a customer? What free stuff, that day I left with $200 worth of purchases, from their store, ammo, accessories and range time. Doesn't that make me a customer? I never said I want something free. Just an adequate level of customer service since they announce themselves as a customer oriented gun marketplace. Read my post again. where did I say I asked them for answers and training? A simple racking and safety operation, open the rifle for cleaning, take the magazine out, should've been adequate for what I asked for. I am only saying I was frustrated as no one cared to do that for me.

All this made it repulsive customer experience, and it is only indicative of the level of service.
    Sounds like you are sorta asking the ��uto Tag place to teach you how to change the oil on your new car...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast