Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Mount Holly F&G Association?

Has anyone been to/been or currently a member of Mount Holly F&G Association? I moved to Adams County a little over a year ago and have been looking for somewhere to shoot. After reviewing the usual extremely polar reviews of SGL ranges and the occasional horror story that I want no part of, I have been on the lookout for a local club to join. Now, I know about ACSHG and have looked at their facility as well.
    The drive is a little longer than some other clubs in the area but my reason for being particularly interested in MHFG is their facilities (rifle & handgun ranges). My girlfriend is interested in archery and though I haven't had the opportunity to do it in quite a few years, it was always something fun to do that I really don't see offered at most of the other clubs in the area (correct me if I'm wrong there).
    Another plus for me is I work a pretty intense schedule during the week and have a 1+ hour commute. Most clubs state that you MUST attend a monthly meeting (always on a weeknight before I am home) to be approved and receive your membership card. I see that MHFG offers to mail your membership card to you as long as you enclose a self-addressed & stamped envelope (again, correct me if I'm wrong about any of that).

Anyone have any experience with the club? Recommendations? General thoughts? Thanks!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Mount Holly F&G Association?

Have you looked at Upper Adams Fish and Game? I'm a member there and I love it. I've been to Holly a few times and it seems fine, but UAF&G is a little closer to me, you generally get the range to yourself.
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    Have you looked at Upper Adams Fish and Game? I'm a member there and I love it. I've been to Holly a few times and it seems fine, but UAF&G is a little closer to me, you generally get the range to yourself.
    I actually looked at UAF&G first but their website has very limited information. Do you know if they offer any kind of archery range there? They also have the stipulation of showing up to an event or meeting within two months of being granted membership, which may be difficult for me (unless they have events on weekends frequently).

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by theCreature8 View Post
    I actually looked at UAF&G first but their website has very limited information. Do you know if they offer any kind of archery range there? They also have the stipulation of showing up to an event or meeting within two months of being granted membership, which may be difficult for me (unless they have events on weekends frequently).
    There is an archery target/backstop adjacent to the pistol range, you can shoot 50 yards + there. I'm not aware of any stipulations of showing up at meetings or events. As far as I know, there are a LOT of members who don't show up at meetings or events. We do have 2 weekend events coming up in the next 4 weeks if you want to stop by. March 18 is our final running deer match of the season and April 1 is our annual Top Gun competition, it consists of a running deer course of fire, 25 bird round of trap and a pistol course of fire. Coming up at the end of April, they will begin shooting trap every Monday night until fall. If you do end up joining and do it this month, you can attend the annual Members Feed night, it is Friday, March 31, but it is only open to members.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    There is an archery target/backstop adjacent to the pistol range, you can shoot 50 yards + there. I'm not aware of any stipulations of showing up at meetings or events. As far as I know, there are a LOT of members who don't show up at meetings or events. We do have 2 weekend events coming up in the next 4 weeks if you want to stop by. March 18 is our final running deer match of the season and April 1 is our annual Top Gun competition, it consists of a running deer course of fire, 25 bird round of trap and a pistol course of fire. Coming up at the end of April, they will begin shooting trap every Monday night until fall. If you do end up joining and do it this month, you can attend the annual Members Feed night, it is Friday, March 31, but it is only open to members.
    I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that members were regularly required to show up to meetings, I was just talking about the paragraph at the bottom of the membership application that states:
    New members must show up for a monthly meeting or club function to pick up their card and badge PERSONALLY within 2 months after they have been notified that their application has been accepted. Monthly meetings are held the 3rd Wednesday of each month. If you fail to appear within 2 months time period your money will be forfeited to the club and you will not become a member...
    but now that I know there are a number of events coming up (and actually bothered to look at the schedule of events on the website), I don't think that will be as much of an issue as I originally thought. Thanks for the info!

(Cumberland County)

Post Re: Mount Holly F&G Association?

Quote Originally Posted by theCreature8 View Post
    I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that members were regularly required to show up to meetings, I was just talking about the paragraph at the bottom of the membership application that states:

but now that I know there are a number of events coming up (and actually bothered to look at the schedule of events on the website), I don't think that will be as much of an issue as I originally thought. Thanks for the info!
    No problem. I don't know that I ever knew that was on the membership application.