Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Carry policies in public places.

Today while shopping at the mall I was informed by a dicks sporting goods employee that the mall has a no firearms policy and if a police officer saw that I was carrying he could have been forceful or asked me to leave. I have a concealed carry license and I was wearing it on my hip with my shirt covering it. My shirt rode up and they must have seen it. The employee told me that it is posted at another entrance but it is not posted at the entrance in which I came in. I drove around the mall and checked every entrance and could not find a sign posted anywhere. What is the law in this situation and what are my rights?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Carry policies in public places.

If they ask you to leave, then leave. Doesn't really matter what their reason is.

No retail store experience is worth getting into an argument over, or worth a potential interaction with law enforcement.

Also, buy some of these:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...FcpbhgoduqkCFA

(Chester County)

It's private property and they have the right to ask you to leave. If you don't leave you may be arrested for defiant trespass. If there are no signs about firearms they can still ask you leave but you always have the option to contact the management of the store or corporate management. If you are patronizing Dick's you're entirely on your own on this forum.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Washington County)

What mall? I know south hills village mall in bethel park has a no weapons policy. But no single sign stating that fact. Instead it has a tiny blue sign INSIDE THE DOORs that you need magnifying glass to see and read cause the wording is so small that has it on there along with 59 other rules that you can't do or have like a cummunist government.

(Delaware County)

I have been asked to leave a local mall when I was open carrying. I explained that there should be a sign if this was the policy but I knew I was required by law to leave, so I did. The replies before mine have pretty much explained the basics of the law. Here it a link to the text.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...tn=3&subsctn=0
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

If your a private citizen carrying concealed with a permit, please use an inside the waistband holster.
    So many of these "my shirt rode up" incidents could be avoided just by using an inside the waistband holster.
    Also you need to dress around the gun, not make the gun work around your clothing.
    There are plenty of ways to carry fully concealed with just a minimal change to your clothing choices.
    If your a shirt out guy, just get a longer shirt, or better yet dress in layers to avoid printing.
    If your a shirt in guy with a shirt, tie, jacket, then get a tuck holster that will allow you to tuck your shirt in over your gun.
    Today it may be some guy at Dicks, tomorrow it may get you needlessly arrested, or even shot by a nervous cop or armed citizen.
    Teaching people to carry fully concealed is always a big part of my training for people with CCW's.
    I get the impression that some people want their shirt to ride up so others can see that they are carrying.
    When these people end up in a shit storm they have no one to blame but themselves.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    If your a private citizen carrying concealed with a permit, please use an inside the waistband holster.
    So many of these "my shirt rode up" incidents could be avoided just by using an inside the waistband holster.
    Also you need to dress around the gun, not make the gun work around your clothing.
    There are plenty of ways to carry fully concealed with just a minimal change to your clothing choices.
    If your a shirt out guy, just get a longer shirt, or better yet dress in layers to avoid printing.
    If your a shirt in guy with a shirt, tie, jacket, then get a tuck holster that will allow you to tuck your shirt in over your gun.
    Today it may be some guy at Dicks, tomorrow it may get you needlessly arrested, or even shot by a nervous cop or armed citizen.
    Teaching people to carry fully concealed is always a big part of my training for people with CCW's.
    I get the impression that some people want their shirt to ride up so others can see that they are carrying.
    When these people end up in a shit storm they have no one to blame but themselves.

Once I learned the truth about "concealed carry" I no longer gave a crap if my cover garment blew open or my handgun wasn't "invisible".

IWB sucks.

That is all.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Once I learned the truth about "concealed carry" I no longer gave a crap if my cover garment blew open or my handgun wasn't "invisible".

IWB sucks.

That is all.
    I agree. I always conceal. But having a toddler means a lot of bending and reaching and such. If it shows it shows. By no means am I trying to "show off" or something. I'm just constantly running around.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    If they ask you to leave, then leave. Doesn't really matter what their reason is.

No retail store experience is worth getting into an argument over, or worth a potential interaction with law enforcement.
    1) I agree, if asked to leave, leave.

2) However, IF a place is going to post no guns they should at least have the basic sense to put it on all the doors and make it prominent (I recently noticed my bank has them... grrrrrr... about 3"x3" on the very bottom edge of the glass door at ankle-height and nowhere near their more standard signage like hours, no smoking, etc. which is all about eye-level on the door, and easily legible)

3) I wonder how that works with tenants. I presume the mall can only set the policy for the public areas of the mall, not the leased spaces (unless they PUT it in the lease). I certainly know cases where one store in a strip mall is no-guns and the others aren't, so the tenant can obviously set policy on that basis.
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

IWB sucks.

That is all.
    Didn't you read the OP?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast