Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New guy with questions about state lands

Good day all! My wife and I will be buyin our first house within the next month or so. We decided it would be best to move out of NJ and settle down in PA. We haven't exactly nailed down a location yet, but it looks like it's going to be Portland, one of the Stroudsburgs, Mount Bethel, or Saylorsbrug. I'm still researching on where exactly I would be ok shooting on my property, however, all the houses I'm looking at either back up to state land or are a block away from it. Now my questions. 1) If it's ok to target shoot on state land, but the state land is in a district that has ordnances against discharging firearms, than who's rules do I follow? 2) Assuming I can shoot on my property, and it backs up to state land, can I shoot from my property at targets setup on the state land? Finally, I am mainly interested in shooting an air rifle in my backyard. 3) Am I subject to all powder burning firearm regulations? I'd really appreciate any feed back I can get. I've been trying to search for the answers, but with so many question, and different locations, it's been tedious. Not to mention conflicting or obscure answers on the multitude of links on Google. Thanks again everyone!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: New guy with questions about state lands

Welcome to PA, I can't help with your other questions but someone will be along.

(Bucks County)

Most municipalities in PA consider air rifles and bow/arrows as firearms as far as ' discharge' ordinances go. Check with PGC. I don't think they smile at sticking a target on a random tree in the Game Lands and plinking away at it. Better "informed and safe", than "sorry, I didn't know".

(Bucks County)

A friend living in a rural area of Jim Thorpe in a home that backs onto game lands got a surprise. Wanting to try out/sight in a new gun. Figuring he had been hearing shots in the game lands during hunting season, it must be OK to shoot in there. He walked an estimated 400 yards into it to put a lot of ground away from the other houses on his street, did a little bit of shooting, and went home.

Later that day a PA state trooper knocked on his door. Dan spoke with the officer and readily described what he had done. Troop thanked him and left. About a week later Dan got a summons. He elected to fight it, and prevailed.

Here's the weird part. At the woods edge at the beginning of his section is a posted sign explaining rules which included no non-hunting shooting in that section of game lands...which he had never thought anything of and had not read. On the opposite side of his road (like, across the street) is another section of game lands. Dan read that sign, and learned he could shoot in that one!

Don't take anything for granted when it comes to firearms and use of them. It needs research and certainty.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been trying to research, but it's not that easy. So many rules that can be hard to interpret. Now, I understand that federal laws trump state laws, but do local laws take a backseat to state laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous_marlin View Post
    local laws take a backseat to state laws?
    Some do, most don't. That also gets into PA Home Rule, and just because a municipality is named "x Township" or "z Borough" doesn't mean they're a Township or Borough.

Even if you find a good home with land to shoot on I'd suggest you buy a suppressor. There's no need to be an asshole neighbor, it's only civilized.
    NRA Benefactor

Buying a suppressor is #1 on my list. I'm hoping something comes of this Hearing Protection Act. This is also why I want to be able to shoot pellet guns in my backyard. When looking at houses, I'm trying to find one that has an area I can shoot that isn't in easy viewing from the neighbors houses.

(Delaware County)

Here is a link to the current hunting digest. Some of your answers are in there.

http://read.nxtbook.com/pgc/huntingt...dex.html#cover
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

link to Pa. code chapter 61 some other answers will be in there.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&div=0&chpt=61

Other answers can only be answered when you decide on what area you will move into.

Hope this helps.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous_marlin View Post
    Good day all! My wife and I will be buyin our first house within the next month or so. We decided it would be best to move out of NJ and settle down in PA. We haven't exactly nailed down a location yet, but it looks like it's going to be Portland, one of the Stroudsburgs, Mount Bethel, or Saylorsbrug. I'm still researching on where exactly I would be ok shooting on my property, however, all the houses I'm looking at either back up to state land or are a block away from it. Now my questions. 1) If it's ok to target shoot on state land, but the state land is in a district that has ordnances against discharging firearms, than who's rules do I follow? 2) Assuming I can shoot on my property, and it backs up to state land, can I shoot from my property at targets setup on the state land? Finally, I am mainly interested in shooting an air rifle in my backyard. 3) Am I subject to all powder burning firearm regulations? I'd really appreciate any feed back I can get. I've been trying to search for the answers, but with so many question, and different locations, it's been tedious. Not to mention conflicting or obscure answers on the multitude of links on Google. Thanks again everyone!
    You are not allowed to target shoot on SGL in PA. Unless they have a range. There was an old thread on this subject. Try the search option. For your last question, it depends on your township regulations. Some have a no firearm at all discharge rule. Others have rules by area. Call the township office, or check their website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast