Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR47 Build on GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII Lower

Ran across this barrel.

Not sure what to think. I don't even know if it's a "brand".

Famous No-Fail 7.62X39 AR15 Melonite Hbar Barrel

It's not a midlength - I haven't determined if that's important or not.

$88.00 on sale
    deltateamtactical.com
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

OK, I'm getting annoyed at the lack of info that clearly explains the various AR barrel profiles.

Without getting too involved with ALL the profiles, what is the difference between A2 and M4 profile?

I THINK I read that the M4 is SLIGHTLY lighter but I can't find a photo that shows the difference between the two.

That PSA barrel that ARjohnson linked me to earlier is listed as "Barrel Profile: A2-style" link
    I just saw that they have another barrel for the same price - it's listed as "Barrel Profile: Mid-weight" link

What the hell is "mid-weight"? Is that another term for "M4"?

In my searching, I'm not finding any MID LENGTH barrel that is remotely close to these in price so I may order one, but I don't know WHICH ONE to get.
    I want the lighter of the two.

HELP!

EDIT: Could they possibly be the SAME PSA barrel with different product numbers?
    The ONLY difference in the descriptions are the barrel profile descriptions and the product numbers
    Last edited by Emptymag; February 23rd, 2017 at 10:51 PM.

(Beaver County)

Ok, EM, I'll give you a quick lesson.
    TYPICALLY, an A2 profile and M4 profile are the same under the handguards with the exception that TYPICALLY, barrels listed as M4 will have a cutout forward of the front sight base for attaching the M203 launcher. Both barrels should be the same profile but PSA is weird on how they list all their stuff. Now a mid weight barrel will be heavier and typically have the same profile front and rear of the front sight base (sometimes they are listed as SOCOM profile which isn't exactly correct either).
    None the less, if you want the lightest barrel out there, a mid weight is NOT what you want.

That being said, it won't be a very easy off the shelf barrel to find since 7.62 39 ARs are not terribly popular.
    They have been know to not run that well so just be aware you may have to do some tweaking and spend money on high quality mags. Also consider that you are getting a bigger bore on the barrel so lightweight barrels will have much thinner walls than a 5.56 barrel. Some people say that effects accuracy and barrel life.
    I'm not trying to shit on your party but you know me, I'm not gonna bullshit you

Honestly, if you are looking for an AR with more punch, it will probably be way easier to build one in 300 Blackout.
    Either way, good luck on yet another awesome build!
    Last edited by JSPA; February 24th, 2017 at 02:02 AM.

(Armstrong County)

As...frugal...as EM is, I cant fathom why 300blk would remotely be a good idea lol
    Esp when just a range blaster with $.23/rd shooting in mind.

PSA, Faxon, KAK, CBC barrel and call it a day.
    Deal with what ever tweaks and gremlins need fixed and still leaps and bounds cheaper than feeding it 300blk ammo.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Beaver County)

Oh I completely agree, Nate! Lolz
    I'm just saying it would be easier to find parts for a 300 since it seems to be the "it" caliber right now.
    I'd probably just get the mid weight barrel and call it a day.
    It won't be some lightweight though I personally wouldn't care if it were mine, but it's not, and adding weight to the barrel could possibly negate the light weight receiver.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JSPA View Post
    Oh I completely agree, Nate! Lolz
    I'm just saying it would be easier to find parts for a 300 since it seems to be the "it" caliber right now.
    I'd probably just get the mid weight barrel and call it a day.
    It won't be some lightweight though I personally wouldn't care if it were mine, but it's not, and adding weight to the barrel could possibly negate the light weight receiver.

Yes, I'll pretend you were responding to someone else before. LOL

No interest in 300 Blackout. None. I have 7.62x39 ammo on hand and I have no plan to add another caliber to the mix - especially when it negates the "shooting for cheap" aspect.

Several 7.62 barrels available - I'm just trying to narrow it down and at $99, those PSA barrels sound hard to beat - I just need to know what the difference is between the two I provided links for.
    I guess I have to contact them.

I'm not looking for a "pencil" barrel, but would prefer a "normal" (M4? A2? Midweight?) barrel over a HEAVY barrel - which is what many of these 7.62 barrels are.
    For my real world purposes, I can't think of a reason I NEED a heavy profile barrel to shoot targets at 100 yards or less.
    I already have an AR with a heavy barrel and it's now my least favorite after getting one with a "normal" barrel, so I don't want to start this rifle off not even wanting to shoot it due to it's unnecessarily heavy weight.

I've even scrapped the idea of a 14.5 inch barrel for the sake of making this easy.
    My only "requirements" are:

16"
    Midlength
    Not HBAR

I think one of those two PSA barrels will do the trick - I just don't know what the difference is between them due to their shitty product descriptions. (and the images look identical)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    As...frugal...as EM is, I cant fathom why 300blk would remotely be a good idea lol
    Esp when just a range blaster with $.23/rd shooting in mind.

PSA, Faxon, KAK, CBC barrel and call it a day.
    Deal with what ever tweaks and gremlins need fixed and still leaps and bounds cheaper than feeding it 300blk ammo.

I hadn't heard of CBC so thanks for mentioning it.

I looked them up. Direct from them, they have a 7.62x39 on sale for $99. (bonus)

The down side is that their product description also tells me nothing about the weight/profile:
    7.62x39 16″” 1/10 Twist, Receiver Muzzle Break -5/8″-24 Thread Gas Port Drilled 0.099 , 4150 Chrome Molly, Phosphate Finish

I guess people are supposed to just happily buy it because it's the only 7.62 they offer?

I wouldn't be opposed to a KAK barrel, but it's carbine length gas system.

Faxon is labeled as "Gov't/SOCOM" (whatever that is - I can't keep up with the multiple terms everyone uses)
    I believe that's heavier than I want - BUT I DON'T KNOW because I have no way to compare different profiles.
    It's also $179 - which is under $200, yes - but it's not "$99" either.

(Beaver County)

Ok, well don't look at PSA's pix because they don't show a difference.
    The basic difference is that an A2 barrel will be skinny under the handguards but fatter in front of the gas block/sight.
    A medium barrel with be essentially the same thickness under the handguards as it is in front of the gas block/sight.
    Check out these pix and see the difference. The stainless one is a medium profile where the other is A2 profile.
    Hope that helps a bit
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lehigh County)

Would it be possible to put each into a shopping cart and compare shipping weights? Assuming packing will not be significantly different.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Would it be possible to put each into a shopping cart and compare shipping weights? Assuming packing will not be significantly different.

I sent an email to PSA requesting clarification.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast