Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Thumbs down Scotia is Now (Almost) Completely Worthless.......

....to the "tactical" shooter.

I received a talking to today for not shooting from the firing line from a conservation officer, who was, in fact, very polite and professional. It is a posted rule, apparently. I've honestly never seen it until today when it was pointed out to me and I've NEVER seen it enforced by anyone. However, having to shoot my pistols at 25 yards *only* and my associated AR pattern rifles at a minimum of 25 yards *only* has made this place suck just a little more.

Scotia is a lawless, unsafe, shit show every weekend and most evenings, especially in the warmer months. No fucking CO or RO anywhere. Quite a few people show up and don't possess a hunting license or a range permit, shoot up the target stands, signs, and whatever shit they brought along that day. I never see those people get in any kind of trouble and I just role out. The round limitations are stupid as shit and most don't follow them anyway. I always have a gripe with a laundry list of posted rules that aren't enforced. IMO, its just like gun control in this country; the 'good' people pay for the shitheads who don't follow the rules, but the rules are rarely enforced.

Its painfully obvious this is connected to the pile of shit felon whose kid was shot at Scotia. Magically, there is now a CO dissecting my shooting and enforcing the rules (which is fine). I'm just thinking that maybe a CO or assigned RO on the heavy use times could prevent these unsafe practices, which are constant and consistent during the evening and weekend.

There is only two reasons I buy a hunting license; to shoot groundhogs at distance and use Scotia. I'll have to figure out how many groundhogs I shot last year......

Thankfully, my OSC membership has gone through and I can now leave Scotia behind me. I'll still use it to sight in rifles, during the week, in the morning when its vacant. The CO stressed that this was the original intent of the range. To be used by sportsman who need to sight in or enjoy their rifle/pistols/shotguns, not tactical shooters. No doubt, you can't find a nicer shooting area for $25-ish dollars a year, but I'm glad to be moving on the greener pastures......

Rant over, just miffed by another shooting day ruined by "bullshit".....
    Last edited by FLICK; February 17th, 2017 at 12:45 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Scotia is Now (Almost) Completely Worthless.......

I find the same thing; careless shooters (mainly handgun). I bet very few of them have a license/permit. I never have been asked for mine. They could improve the place by putting in a pistol pit where you could use your own targets at any range and allowing you to set your own standing targets at something less than the first permanent target stand. I would like to, at some point, know how the accidental shooting happened in detail from the investigation.

I joined Southern Clinton County Sportsman Association in Loganton at 45 bucks for new members and 40 bucks thereafter a year. Good folks and roofed shooting benches for rifle and pistol out to 200 yards plus clay pigeons, skeet, etc. My nearest public ranges would be a drive all the way to Little Pine State Park or Scotia. No rapid firing or the busting up of the target holders. (Needless to say). You can't put your cans, bottles, plates, old cars on the range and the rules are pretty straight forward as with most ranges I have shot at. I read about the dildo at Scotia and wondered how much backlash may come from it. I like what the state did with the ranges from where they were years ago but if it's public, it's going to be abused unless under 24 hour watch.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Perry County)

I was shooting there when I went to PSU, this would have been in '90 or '91. They had some nasty RO there when a buddy and I were shooting pistols. We were shooting at cardboard silhouettes at a very controlled rate. The nasty old cuss comes over yelling we're shooting too fast, we have to have at least 3 seconds between shots and that we have to have paper targets. He didn't want to hear that cardboard was pressed paper.

I have no time for assholes...he was an asshole.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

I've really never had a problem at Scotia, but admittedly I usually go during the week. 1 time I saw a younger guy shooting 6 rd mags on the rifle range he must have confused the rules for pistol range. You can't complain that the rules aren't being enforced when you yourself were caught. You didn't read the rules closely it's as simple as that. From what I've heard about the WCO's you should feel lucky you were only given a warning. I can see why they have the strict rules that they do. If you think it's lawless shit show now, imagine if the rules were looser. I am very grateful that we have a nice "public" range so close by. I used to live outside of Pittsburgh and there was not a public range within 40 miles of me and it SUCKED. There was a gamelands range at one time but it was so abused and trashed that PGC closed it down. I hope they do start enforcing the rules more because I like to feel safe. I get that you don't like it because it doesn't cater to your type of shooting from the sounds of it. Good luck at OSC I'm sure that's a nice club. I've been thinking about joining mifflin co. sportsmens mostly to have access to a longer rifle range, anyone have any experience there?

They do have those auxilary ranges next to the pistol/shotgun patterning ranges. Are you only allowed to shoot from the picnic tables there also or can you establish your own firing line? It seems like they're only big enough for 1 person or group at a time.
    Last edited by Marcus99; February 17th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post

They do have those auxilary ranges next to the pistol/shotgun patterning ranges. Are you only allowed to shoot from the picnic tables there also or can you establish your own firing line? It seems like they're only big enough for 1 person or group at a time.
    I was on the 50/100 Aux range. I wouldn't move up to shoot on the fenced in rifle range. I was alone. I was operating operationally all over the place.
    Last edited by FLICK; February 18th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    The CO stressed that this was the original intent of the range. To be used by sportsman who need to sight in or enjoy their rifle/pistols/shotguns, not tactical shooters.
    I think this is the key right here... most shooters in my view are in one of two camps and rarely cross over or see eye to eye. Shooters are either hunters OR tactical/marksmanship types. Hunters view the tactical shooters as infringing on their turf, which WAS the hunter's domain initially. I don't hunt at all and am in the tactical/marksmanship camp. However, I get along with all the guys at my gun club and listen with courtesy when the FUDDS tell me about their recent fun hunting trip sitting in a tree stand for hours waiting for a deer to walk by.

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    I was on the 50/100 Aux range. I wouldn't move up to shoot on the fenced in rifle range. I was alone. I was operating operationally all over the place.
    So the firing line is the picnic table on any aux range?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    So the firing line is the picnic table on any aux range?
    That's correct.... As explained to me by the Conservation Officer....

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    I joined Southern Clinton County Sportsman Association in Loganton at 45 bucks for new members and 40 bucks thereafter a year. Good folks and roofed shooting benches for rifle and pistol out to 200 yards plus clay pigeons, skeet, etc. My nearest public ranges would be a drive all the way to Little Pine State Park or Scotia. No rapid firing or the busting up of the target holders. (Needless to say). You can't put your cans, bottles, plates, old cars on the range and the rules are pretty straight forward as with most ranges I have shot at. I read about the dildo at Scotia and wondered how much backlash may come from it. I like what the state did with the ranges from where they were years ago but if it's public, it's going to be abused unless under 24 hour watch.
    What do they consider rapid fire? I'm thinking of joining there this year. I don't do mag dumps, but do some double tap drills. Just curious to know what to expect. I shoot at lccs and a small private range now. Southern Clinton would cut my drive in half from lccs though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast