Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to Shooting Range, Questions about State Game Lands 203

Thanks for advice all. Not sure if I should start a new thread on another question I have but was wondering what was a good non toxic all in one CLP and how often to clean. I read a ton on this already and I think will be settling on ballistol but don't like they don't offer a container that allows you to release small drops. Was considering froglube but read bad reviews on use over time.

(Washington County)

So far for me, I've tried a few different kinds. They all seem to work about the same. Hoppes, rim oil, CLP. Just the containers are what seems to matter. Pistols I like the ones I can find with a little drip nozzle if that's what you wanna call it. For the AR or other rifles I like it in a spray form.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr37 View Post
    Thanks for advice all. Not sure if I should start a new thread on another question I have but was wondering what was a good non toxic all in one CLP and how often to clean. I read a ton on this already and I think will be settling on ballistol but don't like they don't offer a container that allows you to release small drops. Was considering froglube but read bad reviews on use over time.
    You answered your own question, I have Ballistol in a plastic bottle with a pop up spout and it works fine.

Ballistol.jpg

This also allows buying larger bottles which is cheaper by the ounce.
    Last edited by gghbi; February 19th, 2017 at 10:46 AM.

(Beaver County)

Has anyone here been to the Wexford SGL since they redid the rifle range last year? I have not and was curious about how it turned out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    You answered your own question, I have Ballistol in a plastic bottle with a pop up spout and it works fine.

Ballistol.jpg

This also allows buying larger bottles which is cheaper by the ounce.
    Thanks GGHBI, picture helps. Didn't know that it had a spout, thought it was just a cap and thus maybe needed to buy a small squeeze bottle to transport it to. Also, thanks again for all the offers about visiting ranges and membership and whatnot. Will keep you all posted. Going to check out SGL 203 first, since I live like 5-10 minutes from there, and see how I like it.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks GGHBI, picture helps. Didn't know that it had a spout, thought it was just a cap and thus maybe needed to buy a small squeeze bottle to transport it to. Also, thanks again for all the offers about visiting ranges and membership and whatnot. Will keep you all posted. Going to check out SGL 203 first, since I live like 5-10 minutes from there, and see how I like it.
    Yes that is what I did.

Also, check this out: http://ballistol.com/thanks-free-ballistol/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    Has anyone here been to the Wexford SGL since they redid the rifle range last year? I have not and was curious about how it turned out.
    I zeroed a buddy's hunting shotgun there this season, and actually didn't realize they redid it until I got there. I was pleasantly surprised. It was like a whole new range.

I'd still much rather shoot at PMSC though.

(Allegheny County)

You can buy small cans of liquid Ballistol (4 fluid ounce) or big ones (I believe they are 1/2 gallon, I have one in my workshop.)

I sell the small cans (I am a Ballistol dealer) as well as the small and medium size spray cans. If you have any problems finding it, let me know and I will sell you some.

Ballistol is good stuff, I've tried just about everything else over the years. It's a good general purpose cleaner and lubricant and I use it also to hone knives, fix door squeaks, lawnmower repair etc. It is also really good for cleaning leather, like old slings and holsters.

I usually clean everything when I get home from the range and then pull it out again the next day and clean it again. Lots of people have different ways they do it, I do it that way because that is what we did in the Army. Cleaning again the second day picks up all the other crud that needed 24 hours to leech out from the first cleaning.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    OK, you do your thing, I will do mine. If anybody is shooting, I like eye protection. Never know when something comes bouncing back.
    I agree... eye protection should be worn by everyone at a range and is equally important as ear protection in my opinion and that's coming from someone with tinnitus. Over the years I have been hit twice in the face from bullet fragments and both times I wasn't the one shooting. Now i do spend a lot of time on ranges, typically 8+ hours a week, so my experiences are not necessary the same as the average guy, but the first time I pulled a piece of bullet fragment out of face just below my left eye was the last time anyone on the range doesn't wear eye protection when I'm the RSO on the line.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Beaver County)

safety glasses are inexpensive, eyes are expensive and in some cases not replaceable.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast