Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: New to Shooting Range, Questions about State Game Lands 203

Also, make sure you take a good crap before you leave. I don't know about wexfords SGL range but the one I go to has no shitter. So unless you wanna go into the woods when you suddenly gotta go. Do it before you leave.

Trust me I've learned the hard way.

(Allegheny County)

Last time I was there...wexfords SGL RIFLE range had a shitter or two.. the pistol range did not,but only a 1/4 mile (if that) apart..So I would say your good to shoot and shit at wexford...

(Chester County)

Anyone going to a gun range for the first time, EVER, should simply arrive with NOTHING, but hearing protection. Introduce yourself to some shooters and chat up those who are willing to engage in conversation. Listen, watch and learn... and watch some more.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Anyone going to a gun range for the first time, EVER, should simply arrive with NOTHING, but hearing protection. Introduce yourself to some shooters and chat up those who are willing to engage in conversation. Listen, watch and learn... and watch some more.
    Don't forget EYE protection!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Not needed on the first trip... not there to shoot... listen, watch and learn...

(Lehigh County)

Not needed on the first trip... not there to shoot... listen, watch and learn...
    OK, you do your thing, I will do mine. If anybody is shooting, I like eye protection. Never know when something comes bouncing back.

(Chester County)

OK, you do your thing, I will do mine. If anybody is shooting, I like eye protection. Never know when something comes bouncing back.
    Gun ranges require eye protection if you're ON the firing line... not if you're watching from a safe distance, which is what I was referring to. Nevertheless, I respect your desire to further minimize any potential risk to your eyes by wearing protection upon exiting your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    Some general advice-

As mentioned, there is no range officer. The people shooting with you could be very experienced or they could be just beginning like yourself. I have shot with very safety conscious people at public ranges and complete flaming a'holes at public ranges (by the way, the same at expensive private ranges.) Also, very experienced shooters can also get sloppy on safety so there's no harm in being new.

Keep your head on a swivel.

Again, these are just some general rules. Every range usually has a set of posted rules specific to that range. Read them before you go to the firing line.

If you show up and somebody is shooting, just take your gear to the firing line and wait until they are done shooting. Somebody may say clear, or cease fire or "hey you done ?"

Make eye contact with other shooters, make sure all weapons are grounded (or placed on benches) preferably with their actions open. If somebody is still fumbling around with theirs, do not go downrange until everyone has acknowledged they are going down range (or you are going downrange) and everything is grounded. Go downrange and place your targets. I usually make a glance or two back towards the bench to make sure nobody is handling weapons. Had a bad experience with that in Tennessee years ago but that's another story.

Come back to the firing line. Do not handle your weapon, magazines or ammo while others are down range ! In fact, I usually take a few steps back from the firing line, stick my hands in my pockets, sit down on a bench or chair if one is there, or look at the birds, play with my phone, whatever, so that other shooters know I am not handling anything.

When everyone is back behind the line, somebody may say going hot, or just glance and give a thumbs up, or ask "ready ?" Look left, look right. When everyone has acknowledged you are going hot, nobody is downrange you can pick up your weapon, start loading magazines etc.

As a courtesy, make sure everyone has their muffs on before you start shooting.

Bang, bang, bang. Everyone is having fun. There is no set time limit to how long you will be shooting until it is time to repair or put up new targets again. You will just notice some of the others on the firing line grounding their guns and looking around. If you notice the amount of fire starting to slacken off, and five other shooters are staring at you, it is probably not courteous to keep banging away yourself for the next 20 minutes. You will get a feel for it.

Back to placing targets again as above.

Everyone has the right to yell "cease fire" if they see something unsafe. If somebody is doing something that puts you or others into danger you have the absolute right to correct them. If they don't, it is usually good practice to pack up and leave.

You will meet lots of nice shooters that like to try different guns. If you are unfamiliar with a weapon that somebody offers to let you shoot ask the owner to give you some instruction.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

This is excellent advice. I usually shoot one or twice a week there. Its much improved since the old days of getting muzzled and no permit needed. I usually talk to people about their pistols and occasionally will let them shoot mine. Pleasant experience all around. Yes, hunting license is cheaper. I use mine. You will enjoy Wexford.

(Washington County)

Well ain't Wexford fancy. They got a shitter. I got the thick woods and some baby wipes.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    I got the thick woods and some baby wipes.
    hmpft... baby wipes are standard supply in my house bathrooms. I like that fresh clean feeling.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast