Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Cheetah & Mosquito

Beretta Cheetah 85FS .380, 8RND mag

Sig Sauer Mosquito 22LR, 10RND mag

I just picked these up recently and they are my first two handguns.
    Last edited by Keith; August 31st, 2009 at 11:36 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

How do you like the Mosquito? Eventually I'd like a .22LR platform for suppression and I hate the Walther P22.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Have you had a chance to shoot the Beretta yet? I noticed from the barrel stamp that is has a magazine disconnect. That's one of those hot-and-cold features which always seems to spark debate, and was curious as to what you thought of it.

(Erie County)

I like the mosquito a lot, i have shot less than 200 rounds through it so far. It did jam up on me a few times. Im going to lube it up better next time and see if it is any better. It came with 2 different tension springs. I may try the lower tension one and see if it helps as well.

As far as the Cheetah magazine disconnect, it will not fire without a magazine in it. I dont see that as a problem or a negative feature. I have only been range shooting, I did apply for a ccw license late last week but have not received it yet. I will carry the Cheetah obviously and picked it largely because of its compact size, thinking it will be less of an annoyance to have on me and easier to conceal.

(Erie County)

oh and the Mosquito only came with one 10 rnd mag which was a little annoying. U.S. models ship with 1 clip, European models with 2, bleh.

(Erie County)

I'd assume the type of ammo you use will have a big impact on how well the firearm functions. My beretta 22 used to jam at least once on every clip when I was using el-cheapo walmart ammo. Since I've switched to 'peter's high velocity 40 grain', I've had a lot less problems with jamming, and it's a lot more fun to shoot.

(Westmoreland County)

Its seems the Mosquito has had some issues since it came out. I hate to see it though cause my p229 has a great track record and from many accounts i've heard the Mosquito is the bad step child. Not all but more then I'd like to see. Beautiful guns though and I hope the sig settles down for you.

(Montgomery County)

Biggest problem with the mosquito is the zinc slide.
    its not a real sturdy firearm.
    I'm surprised that Sig would make something like that, especially for the cash they sell for.

I have known about 5 guys who have had them, and in every case they have dumped it for another 22 later.

also, the Sig barrel is unsuitable for threading for a suppressor. its been done, but its not sturdy.

make sure you use round nose high velocity ammo in it for the least problems, and try a dry lube, 22s get messy fast.

the sheetah is nice for sure, I have a cheetah, but mines 22LR, and I got it threaded for my 22 suppressor.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply