Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sig P320 Receivers as "Other" to avoid PSP paperwork

Just a thought experiment, but why doesn't Sig market their P320 receivers for sale as "Other", just as stripped AR lowers are sold. They can be built as carbines, pistols, or whatever you want, and there would be no requirement to fill out the PSP form and get "registered" on their "non-registry" database. Every single part except for that tiny little receiver can be purchased over the internet without any hassle. A secondary market could supply aftermarket semi-auto carbine kits, pistol kits, or whatever.

A receiver is just a receiver.

The Sig P320 has all of the modularity of the AR platform, plus it can be built as a concealable pistol, which the AR platform cannot.

If Sig won't do this, someone should come up with a similar "open source" receiver kit with a similar design. The advantages are many - you can leave 90% of your pistol in your car while you're in sensitive places, and your receiver could fit in your watch pocket, barely recognizable as a firearm. You wouldn't have to worry about losing your carry permit if your car is broken into and your firearm stolen - a common occurrence in Philadelphia.

You could strip it down and sell it FTF without paying $50 in transfer fees to an FFL, just as you could a stripped AR lower. Again, a receiver is NOT a "firearm" as defined by PA law.

Anyway, just an idea..... talk amongst yourselves, I'm all verklempt.
    Last edited by mobo215; February 15th, 2017 at 11:37 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig P320 Receivers as "Other" to avoid PSP paperwork

Or you could move to anywhere else in the state where you wouldn't lose your LTCF if you are a victim of theft.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Or you could move to anywhere else in the state where you wouldn't lose your LTCF if you are a victim of theft.

I actually like the city! Besides, this is just a thought experiment for me... I don't carry firearms regularly.

(Wyoming County)

Somebody already did this, they just did it for Glocks

Polymer 80 frame that you mill out yourself and wallah..... a gun that has eluded the PSP record of sale database.

http://www.polymer80.com/pistol-frame
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Philadelphia County)

The polymer80 frame solves the awkward Glock grip angle and also the PSP database problem, but the Signed P320 is a far better platform and here's why:

1) It's the new Army sidearm. Space Shuttle Door Gunners from every corner of the internet are going to flock to this platform, spawning massive aftermarket support. Magazines from this weapon system will become a defacto standard for things like 9mm AR's (much like how Glock magazines have largely replaced Uzi 9mm mags in the AR platform).

2) The P320 receiver is basically a piece of sheet metal with holes in it. It would probably be easier to machine one from scratch than it is to complete an 80% Glock or AR receiver. Plus the entire thing is small enough to fit in a watch pocket and doesn't even resemble a firearm if you remove the trigger.

3) Carbine kits, Semi-auto shotgun kits, SBR kits, Pistol kits, you name it, can be shipped right to your door with nothing more than payment. There's no reason this receiver (or a similar "open source" design) can't be assembled into any of these configurations.

(Indiana County)

A virgin receiver is a receiver, once built it's something else.

Does stripping it back down make it a receiver again after it's been built as a handgun or rifle?
    Don't know...

(Washington County)

I believe the current rule is, once a rifle, always a rifle. Because magic.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    A virgin receiver is a receiver, once built it's something else.

Does stripping it back down make it a receiver again after it's been built as a handgun or rifle?
    Don't know...
    Here's the thing about that - how would anybody know? If no paperwork exists to say otherwise, it's ALWAYS a stripped lower as long as it's stripped down!

Besides, it's perfectly legal to build a pistol first and then you can go back and forth from there. Remember those Glock/1911 carbine conversion kits that used to be popular during the AWB?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by mobo215 View Post
    Here's the thing about that - how would anybody know? If no paperwork exists to say otherwise, it's ALWAYS a stripped lower as long as it's stripped down!

Besides, it's perfectly legal to build a pistol first and then you can go back and forth from there. Remember those Glock/1911 carbine conversion kits that used to be popular during the AWB?
    More of a chance than I'm willing to take.

Skirting a law because there's no paper trail is something I have no interest doing.
    Enjoy the thread.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I believe the current rule is, once a rifle, always a rifle. Because magic.
    This is also my understanding...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast