Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default A very short FN FiveseveN review.....

Taking advantage of a 2 day warm spell in northeastern PA I took my new Fn FiveseveN to my club range for a function test. (BIG SNOW coming tomorrow)

It was my first experience with an FN product and the 5.7x28mm caliber.

The pistol is a large but light weight single action pistol that can accommodate magazines of 10, 20, or 30 rounds. I used the 20 round magazines that came with the gun. A 30 round magazine is on order.

The function, feeding and ejecting of rounds, was flawless. The cartridges push straight down into the magazine much like feeding an AK. Loading the bullets was relatively easy with no thumb busting or undue effort. The magazine spring was not overly stiff and easy to work with. I like where FN put the safety - right where most shooters are trained to position their index finger prior to firing. Just push the lever down and you are good to go.

The slide, when I field stripped the gun for an initial cleaning, seemed a little hard to move against what I thought was a stiff spring... But, no problem firing. The gun cycled without any hesitation. The trigger was relatively light and crisp. It broke evenly at the same place and was very predictable.

The pistol has less recoil that most .380's - more like a .22 mag in fact. Even though I had read about this pistol's mild recoil it still surprised me being less than I expected. It was extremely accurate as I was able to bounce a quart sized jug from 10 to about 30 yards. I have heard people boast of 4 inch groups with this gun at 100 yards but I have yet to try that. After my initial experience I don't doubt that it might be possible.

Next time I'll get more serious and shoot off a bench in warmer sunny weather. If I figure out how, I'll post pics of the gun, rounds, and targets.

Imagine having a pistol with a cartridge that can hit accurately, some say, out to 150 yards with a magazine of 20 - 30 rounds!? Pretty neat in my book. The handgun that thinks it is a rifle. At $1,200.00 it certainly is priced like a rifle. But - the quality seems to stack up against the price. Is it too much to pay? These things are hard to come buy so a lot of people don't think so.

If you are interested in this gun GATOR GUNS in Shamokin Damn, PA tells me that have one coming in. They didn't say how soon. I also didn't get a price from them.

I have shot a lot of pistols and this one is in my top 3 favorites.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: A very short FN FiveseveN review.....

This gun has been on my radar for a while. I have been holding off on purchasing one because I know once I buy the Five Seven it is going to be a must that I buy the PS90. Come to think of it I really want a PS90 but I know if I buy a PS90 I am going to have to buy a Five Seven .........what to buy first PS90 or Five Seven lol.

(Delaware County)

I agree with the review 100%. I have owned 2 of the FN Five seveN's and they flat out perform. The gun is a lot more capable than I am but it sure is easy to shoot. The ss197/AE rounds are the normal for the 5.7 but the ss195 and ss198s start throwing fireballs.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ftownkev View Post
    This gun has been on my radar for a while. I have been holding off on purchasing one because I know once I buy the Five Seven it is going to be a must that I buy the PS90. Come to think of it I really want a PS90 but I know if I buy a PS90 I am going to have to buy a Five Seven .........what to buy first PS90 or Five Seven lol.
    I have a rifle also. I bought an Excel Accelerator. I had trigger work done on it. It is very accurate and, in my opinion, very cool to look at. I put a very good Leupold scope on it. There are not many reviews out there, and one or two are not very complimentary but I really do like shooting it.

(Bucks County)

Congratulations on a great purchase. I love mine, and hope you get many years of good use out of it.
    It is a flat shooting son of a bitch!
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Luzerne County)

I have had the FiveSeven pistol for a number of years now.....a varmint rifle that I can carry in my pocket.
    As to 100 yard accuracy....I shot this a few years ago. The flyer makes it four inches.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...