Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Adjustable AR15 Gas Block? Heavier Buffers?

Does anyone use one? Are they worth the extra money? I've been saying "my little girl is all grown up" because I finally found a red dot that I liked enough to buy and I had run out of ideas for other upgrades. Well, I get bored and want to spend money on shit so I have projects to work on. Word on the street is that a properly gassed AR will shoot cleaner and reduce felt recoil. That sounds interesting but I have a slim, 13" handguard over a carbine length gas system so I'm not sure how I would even be able to reach the block to adjust it. I could always take the handguard off I suppose. I was listening to a podcast that was talking about buying vs building and when they got to gas block, I was thinking that I spent four times more money on my raptor ambidextrous charging handle than I did on my gas block. I started thinking that maybe I should put something better in there. Buffers have been something I was considering for a while as well. Both of our rifles use a carbine buffer. I don't want to move up too far and waste money on something that won't work though. My rifle has a carbine gas system, my wife's rifle is midlength if that makes any difference.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Adjustable AR15 Gas Block? Heavier Buffers?

If you just want to spend money build another rifle. I don't run an adjustable gas block on any of my ARs of various barrel length and suppressed/unsuppressed. If it is consistently making nice piles of brass and running reliably then I wouldn't mess with anything.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

My adjustable gas block (Superlative Arms Bleed Off style) came with a 6" long allen key, which should be just enough for your handguard. I am planning on getting a suppressor for it in a year or two. I am hoping that the bleed off functionality in conjunction with a good charging handle will be enough to make the suppressed shooting experience a clean one.

For you though? It really sounds like you're just bored, and in that case, I think buying ammo will elicit more joy than an adjustable gas block ever will. I'm sure you could get some benefit out of it. I do remember when I first shot it, I forgot I had the gas shut off, and the first thing that came to my head was how little recoil it had. Then I opened it up all the way (in the restrictive mode), and noticed a lot more recoil. I'm sure there's a sweet spot between "no function, no recoil," and "function with lots of recoil," and the ability to find that sweet spot is what you'll see, but I think that benefit is probably gonna be pretty minimal for you. It's not like 5.56 knocks you around like a 10ga.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    My adjustable gas block (Superlative Arms Bleed Off style) came with a 6" long allen key, which should be just enough for your handguard. I am planning on getting a suppressor for it in a year or two. I am hoping that the bleed off functionality in conjunction with a good charging handle will be enough to make the suppressed shooting experience a clean one.
    The RTV mod works really well for me.

http://www.03designgroup.com/technot...harging-handle
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Forget the adjustable gas block. If you want to try out a heavier buffer (for a .223/5.56) you can try an H or H2 buffer. In my 5.56 ars I run Spikes T2 buffers, runs 100% with light loads and steel cased. The Spikes T2 is around 4oz which is a tad lighter than a H2.

(Allegheny County)

If it's overgassed then a adjustable gas block helps. If properly gassed you'll be fine without one. The ejection of your empties should tell you what's going on.

From what I have read, make sure you use a steel block,
    not aluminum. Aluminum will deteriorate.

(Armstrong County)

I'm a firm believer in them. I don't mess around with buffers, it doesn't make sense to me to. I have used the seekins precision adjustable gas block in all 5 of my builds. It's simple and easy to use, and cheap.

(Wyoming County)

Just a little FYI for buffers.

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lawrence County)

Adjustable gas blocks are nice when you're running a trick, lightweight carrier.

If you want to reduce recoil, buy a quality brake and clock some popple holes to suit.

Lycandiminishingreturnsthrope

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast