Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Adjustable AR15 Gas Block? Heavier Buffers?

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I'm a firm believer in them. I don't mess around with buffers, it doesn't make sense to me to. I have used the seekins precision adjustable gas block in all 5 of my builds. It's simple and easy to use, and cheap.
    Buffers help, it's and test it and see what works best kind of thing if your looking to reduce felt recoil and maintain reliability.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Buffers help, it's and test it and see what works best kind of thing if your looking to reduce felt recoil and maintain reliability.
    I understand how they can help, obviously the more force they absorb, the less recoil on your end. I just don't see why you would want to dampen the force (with a heavier buffer), when you can just reduce the force all together with an adjustable gas block. To me, swapping to a heavier buffer is just bandaiding the problem, when lowering the gas is actually fixing the problem.

Not only that, but if you are like me and swap one lower to multiple uppers, you would have to remember which buffer to run with which upper. With an adjustable gas block, you just dial in all your uppers to one buffer.

Just my opinion....

(Allegheny County)

I understand how they can help, obviously the more force they absorb, the less recoil on your end. I just don't see why you would want to dampen the force (with a heavier buffer), when you can just reduce the force all together with an adjustable gas block. To me, swapping to a heavier buffer is just bandaiding the problem, when lowering the gas is actually fixing the problem.

Not only that, but if you are like me and swap one lower to multiple uppers, you would have to remember which buffer to run with which upper. With an adjustable gas block, you just dial in all your uppers to one buffer.

Just my opinion....
    If your barrel has the correct gas port just try different buffers. I run either H or H2 in my Colts, Bcm's and LMT, all are soft shooting and reliable. I've shoot other guns with same barrel profiles that were overgassed and there was a big difference.

(Armstrong County)

If your barrel has the correct gas port just try different buffers. I run either H or H2 in my Colts, Bcm's and LMT, all are soft shooting and reliable. I've shoot other guns with same barrel profiles that were overgassed and there was a big difference.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my gas system is already tuned with an adjustable gas block, then switching to a heavier buffer is either going to give me failure to feed problems, unless I give it more gas?

I don't see how a barrels profile effects the gas system... I don't quite understand how a pencil barrel is going to have a different dwell time than a regular profile, government profile, heavy barrel, SPR profile, etc. Could you please enlighten me on that?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    From what I have read, make sure you use a steel block,
    not aluminum. Aluminum will deteriorate.
    I learned that after my first rapid fire drill. I had 10 targets set up down range for our winter finale range trip and after 90 rounds rapid fire, my gas block basically melted. It turned orange and my rifle turned into a single shot. Turns out it was aluminum. I replaced it with a steel gas block.

(Allegheny County)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if my gas system is already tuned with an adjustable gas block, then switching to a heavier buffer is either going to give me failure to feed problems, unless I give it more gas?

I don't see how a barrels profile effects the gas system... I don't quite understand how a pencil barrel is going to have a different dwell time than a regular profile, government profile, heavy barrel, SPR profile, etc. Could you please enlighten me on that?
    Barrel profiles have zero to do with it, what I mean is same barrel profile from different manufactures, like a Colt M4 compared to a Bushmaster M4, they feel like 2 different guns when you shoot them.

As for the buffer setup, certain gas systems may require different buffers, like middys compared to carbine, rifle compared to middy. It's why I said try different buffer weights and see what works best. Properly gassed guns will normally throw your brass at about 3-4 o'clock.

If it's throwing it at 1-2 o'clock it's usually over gassed, 5 o'clock or more is normally undergassed.

(Armstrong County)

Barrel profiles have zero to do with it, what I mean is same barrel profile from different manufactures, like a Colt M4 compared to a Bushmaster M4, they feel like 2 different guns when you shoot them.

As for the buffer setup, certain gas systems may require different buffers, like middys compared to carbine, rifle compared to middy. It's why I said try different buffer weights and see what works best. Properly gassed guns will normally throw your brass at about 3-4 o'clock.

If it's throwing it at 1-2 o'clock it's usually over gassed, 5 o'clock or more is normally undergassed.
    So you are telling me that different AR-15s, from different manufacturers,offer different shooting experiences just because they use different buffer weights?

(Lackawanna County)

Buffer weights
    Gas system length
    Muzzle device
    Bolt carrier weights
    Adjustable gas are all ways to damper get recoil. Some are more effective than others and work in different ways.

(Allegheny County)

So you are telling me that different AR-15s, from different manufacturers,offer different shooting experiences just because they use different buffer weights?
    No, some manufactures build AR's using correct specs and some dont.

(Armstrong County)

No, some manufactures build AR's using correct specs and some dont.
    So Colt uses correct specifications and bushmaster doesn't? Or is it vice versa?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast