Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Trigger and action info for LC9s vs LCP II vs Shield 9mm or .45 vs Bodyguard .380

I know the guns I've listed in the title are a bit different from each other regarding size but I'm looking for info on the action types and trigger pulls of them.

I currently carry, and have been for sometime, a Bodyguard .380 with laser using a Techna Clip. It's the most comfortable way I've found to carry and while I like the size and weight of the Bodyguard I don't like the trigger at all. It feels very long and heavy to me.

I have an LC9 (not the striker-fired LC9s) and I didn't like the DAK style action that needed to be cocked but didn't have a second strike capability (i.e. DA hammer drop every time the trigger is pulled) which is one of the reasons I switched to the Bodyguard which does strike with every pull. I didn't much like the trigger on the LC9 either.

So now I'm looking for something with a better feeling trigger. I did try to do some research on manufacturers' web sites and some google searching but thought I'd ask here. I'd like to hear from any of you that have experience with these guns how heavy the trigger pulls are/feel to you and if the actions are DA every pull. I'm interested in the LC9S because I've heard the striker fired setup and trigger have a good feel to them. How does the LC9S feel compared to the LC9? I've heard the LCP II has a nice feeling trigger on it too. I haven't heard much about the Shields. Thanks in advance for the info.

Default Re: Trigger and action info for LC9s vs LCP II vs Shield 9mm or .45 vs Bodyguard .380

The trigger pull on the LC9s is approx 2 lbs less weight and half the travel length compared to the regular LC9. The shields will be similar in pull characteristics to the LC9s but a little heavier from the factory. The Apex trigger kit on the M&Ps is really nice.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Trigger and action info for LC9s vs LCP II vs Shield 9mm or .45 vs Bodyguard .380

Lc9s has a wonderful trigger. It's so good you'll wonder if it's safe to carry. The Lcp II is very close to the Lc9s in trigger feel. The Shields are a bit heavier but the performance center versions are very nice. The 45 Shield is a bit bigger gun with a decent trigger. Every one of them is a good choice. You have to pick the power level and hide ability that fits your needs.

If group size at the range is your goal, shrinking it I mean. Spend your money on ammo. They all require practice, lots of focused practice for those quick follow up shots.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks to both for the info. Hide-ability and comfort wearing it are important to me. If it's not comfortable then I won't carry it and then it won't do me any good.

Any info on the actions? Which ones are second strike/hammer drop on every pull?

Edit: I say hammer because that's what I'm used to. I don't actually own any striker fired handguns but I do realize which ones above are striker fired.
    Last edited by carrguy1; February 5th, 2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Striker/hammer clarification.

(Montgomery County)

So I did a little more checking and it looks like the Bodyguard is the only one with second strike and striker fired guns generally are not second strike. I started wondering why I like second strike and realize it's mostly for dry firing with a snap cap in and not having to rack another snap cap in. Maybe that's not so important then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    It's so good you'll wonder if it's safe to carry.
    It sounds like the trigger really is nice based on your comment and what else I've read and I guess I won't know for sure until I feel one but since I carry with a techna clip and not in an actual holster I'm wondering if it would be safe to carry like this?

Tap, rack, bang. If the round don't go off the first time its hit then get rid of it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    So I did a little more checking and it looks like the Bodyguard is the only one with second strike and striker fired guns generally are not second strike. I started wondering why I like second strike and realize it's mostly for dry firing with a snap cap in and not having to rack another snap cap in. Maybe that's not so important then.

It sounds like the trigger really is nice based on your comment and what else I've read and I guess I won't know for sure until I feel one but since I carry with a techna clip and not in an actual holster I'm wondering if it would be safe to carry like this?
    I carry a Ruger LC9s Pro routinely when I need maximum concealment... but always in a holster. Very common is in a Sticky Holster, but unless you have an active safety, never carry without the trigger covered... that's just asking for trouble.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    I carry a Ruger LC9s Pro routinely when I need maximum concealment... but always in a holster. Very common is in a Sticky Holster, but unless you have an active safety, never carry without the trigger covered... that's just asking for trouble.
    I actually wound up with the LC9s Pro. I think $291 out the door was a good price. I compared the triggers between my existing LC9 and new LC9s Pro and it is night and day. I almost feel like the LC9s Pro could be something I take to the range for fun. I also picked up a Patriot Concealment IWB kydex holster at Oaks which impressed me. when I first started carrying I tried hybrid holsters (like cross breed) but I always found it inconvenient to take off and put on and a little uncomfortable. I tried paddle OWB which was much more convenient and comfortable but not practical for deep concealment which is why I always loved the techna clip. The Patriot IWB didn't add much bulk to the LC9 (they had samples to try on) and I found it to be comfortable and only slightly harder to put on and take off than the clip. Once I get to the range to break in the LC9s Pro I'll have a much nicer shooting gun than the Bodyguard with the added security of a minimal holster.