Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Streamlight TLR-6 Opinions?

I'm thinking of getting a TLR-6 for my Shield. For those of you who own them or tried them, what were your thoughts about the TLR-6?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Washington County)

Default Re: Streamlight TLR-6 Opinions?

I haven't owned one or tried one, but I carry a gun with a light everyday so for what it's worth:

Just looking at it online and not having seen it in person, the first thing I see is it's only 100 lumens. F that. You want all the lumens, 600+. TLR1-HL or Surefire X300 are the standard.

In my humble personal opinion, lasers are also dumb. You should be finding your front sight or point shooting the same way you do in the light as you do in low light or no light conditions. Unless you simply can't, and then you can laser up.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I haven't owned one or tried one, but I carry a gun with a light everyday so for what it's worth:

Just looking at it online and not having seen it in person, the first thing I see is it's only 100 lumens. F that. You want all the lumens, 600+. TLR1-HL or Surefire X300 are the standard.

In my humble personal opinion, lasers are also dumb. You should be finding your front sight or point shooting the same way you do in the light as you do in low light or no light conditions. Unless you simply can't, and then you can laser up.
    But we're talking about a Shield here. You can't put an X300 on a Shield.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    But we're talking about a Shield here. You can't put an X300 on a Shield.
    We'll I'm just going to STFU up then. Totally missed that point while getting off on lumens.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    We'll I'm just going to STFU up then. Totally missed that point while getting off on lumens.
    LOL. Right rant, wrong thread.

Personally, though, I think you can have too much light on a pistol. I have a TLR-3 on my HD pistol (a P-229). A 600-lumen light reflects so brightly off a close, light-colored wall that it washes out your vision, making it more difficult to see someone in the shadows. My 125-lumen light is fine for indoors. If I had to go outside, I'd be taking the AR anyway, and it has an X300.

(Washington County)

It's personal opinion for sure, but I'll take the lumens up to the point the paint starts peeling off the wall and it bursts into flame. To me, it seems like the TLR1HL or X300 fill the room. The light splashes off walls and gets everywhere. I like the technique of momentary on and off while moving. But I know my eyes are pretty good so YMMV.

Possibly the best of both worlds is the streamlight pro-tac handheld. Tap once for low lumens and double tap for high lumens, but that isn't the easiest to do under stress.

(Butler County)

I just found a picture of a TLR-6 on a Kahr. That looks pretty sweet. I might have to give that a try on my CM-9.

(Chester County)

I don't really care about the laser. I just like how it is a small light that works with the Shield, the firearm I carry the most.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I don't really care about the laser. I just like how it is a small light that works with the Shield, the firearm I carry the most.
    I could be speaking out of my 4th point of contact, but - following Streamlight's naming convention for the TLR-1 thru TLR-4 - wouldn't there be a TLR-5 that's the same as the TLR-6 but without the laser?

(Allegheny County)

My light is old school. Don't think they make it any more.

Insight Technology M3 LED

There's a red LED on the bottom where most lights now have a laser.

Supposed to be used in order to maintain your eye's night vision capability when needed as opposed to the harsh white light that fucks you up as you need to adjust when you turn it on/off.

I really like that feature and you can see quite well in total darkness with just that red glow softly illuminating a room.

Both lights have momentary as well as full-on positions.

Hope it never breaks. I don't know if anyone else makes something like it. All I ever see are lasers with the white light.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast