Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Bolt action rifle values: Will they go down with the advent of semi automatic rifles?

If (when) the PA game commission approves the use of semi auto's for hunting what do you think will happen to the values of all of those bolt action rifles in our possession and on dealers racks?

I am guessing they will go down significantly in price.

Default Re: Bolt action rifle values: Will they go down with the advent of semi automatic rif

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    If (when) the PA game commission approves the use of semi auto's for hunting what do you think will happen to the values of all of those bolt action rifles in our possession and on dealers racks?

Are they currently cheaper in any of the other 49 states that have semi auto hunting? Now I can see local shops bumping the prices up a bit on popular semi autos before next season.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Bolt action rifle values: Will they go down with the advent of semi automatic rif

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post

I do not expect bolt actions to go down significantly, there will always be a core that sustains that market, plus with the Ruger, Savage and other makers pushing their 'bargain' series out there prices cannot go much lower. The real impact will IMO be the pump gun market. I would expect the 7600 to become an artifact in the near future as there will not be enough of a market to sustain it. Future collectible or future orphan is the only question in my mind.

Rep added as I came on to write the same thing. The truth is PA hunting laws are some of the worst in the entire country. We are finally stepping into 2017 and updating some long overdue hunting laws.

Being allowed to hunt with a semi in PA isn't going to change things for many hunters as they will continue to use their bolt action rifles. This isn't going to drastically lower prices, despite what the OP writes.

By OP's logic the price on semis will go up and that isn't going to happen either since Trump is in office. We are seeing record lows for AR15s and other semi autos now that we have a Republican in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Are they currently cheaper in any of the other 49 states that have semi auto hunting? Now I can see local shops bumping the prices up a bit on popular semi autos before next season.

While the updated regs will probably encourage me to pick up a Ruger 10/22 and maybe an AR10 or M1A Socom I will still be using the Ruger American Predator I picked up a few seasons ago because I just love the rifle. I'm big into options and now we have that which may draw more younger people or those who never considered hunting enthusiastically out into the woods.

(Cumberland County)

If prices DO go down, I think it will be due to lower demand more than semi-auto hunting coming to PA.

What I do think we will see however, is fewer "hunting"/"beater" grade bolt guns on the racks, replaced by more "hunting style" semi-auto rifles and more high-end bolt guns.

After the last 8 years:

1. I think there is a very small number of people who DON'T own a centerfire semi-auto rifle of some type.
    2. I think everyone has pretty much what they "need", so now they're going to be moving into the "want" column.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

There may be a better selection on the used gun rack but I don't see a lot of guys running out to ditch their bolt guns. I don't doubt some people will want to pick up a new semi or two to add to the collection.

(Montgomery County)

Can you hunt deer with a .223? Seems small for a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    Can you hunt deer with a .223? Seems small for a deer.
    Yes you can quite successfully if you are using the right bullet and know what you are doing. I personally would not since I am not experienced enough shooting living things, but I will be converting one of my rifles to .300 BLK out very soon.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I do not expect bolt actions to go down significantly, there will always be a core that sustains that market, plus with the Ruger, Savage and other makers pushing their 'bargain' series out there prices cannot go much lower. The real impact will IMO be the pump gun market. I would expect the 7600 to become an artifact in the near future as there will not be enough of a market to sustain it. Future collectible or future orphan is the only question in my mind.
    Semi auto killed the pump action star. No way.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast