Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SKS

(Cumberland County)

Default SKS

So looking at one and not sure model or value? It's Chinese, 16" barrel. No bayonet or lug. Importer is GLNIC. No model, just just "made in China by CGA. Any thoughts, gun is mint.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SKS

If its a 16" barrel its probably a "paratrooper", which is more scarce than a regular 20" barreled SKS. Personally, if its missing the bayonet, lug, and cleaning rod, I'd pass on it unless it was stupid cheap.

Prices on them are allover the place though. People are asking anywhere from $400-700. I'd probably be willing to pay $450 for a complete one, in nice shape with all the accessories. If the bayonet and cleaning rod are gone, maybe $350 tops?

(Cumberland County)

Strange part is it's clean as a whistle where the lug would have been - not ground, nothing. Gun appears to be older but mint. Decisions decisions

Quote Originally Posted by AHelm3 View Post
    If its a 16" barrel its probably a "paratrooper", which is more scarce than a regular 20" barreled SKS. Personally, if its missing the bayonet, lug, and cleaning rod, I'd pass on it unless it was stupid cheap.

Prices on them are allover the place though. People are asking anywhere from $400-700. I'd probably be willing to pay $450 for a complete one, in nice shape with all the accessories. If the bayonet and cleaning rod are gone, maybe $350 tops?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Strange part is it's clean as a whistle where the lug would have been - not ground, nothing. Gun appears to be older but mint. Decisions decisions
    Just make sure to post a picture in the what I bought thread when you do decide!

(Allegheny County)

There were a few different variations of the paratroopers made for import. It was just a marketing gimmick really. Some importers modified to bayonet to work with the shortened barrel, some just took it off and left the lug, and some ground the lug completely off.

Yes the farmers friend, and cowboys companion were commercial imports but very cool and worth a very high premium now. As far as trying to identify a Chinese SKS in general can be very difficult, without pictures it's even harder. If it's a standard factory commercial paratrooper just missing a bayonet it's going to go for a premium and finding a bayonet is cheap and easy. Are you able to get any pictures of the rifle?

Just realized that it's missing it's lug entirely without showing any grinding marks so the plot thickens on this one. Does it have the standard factory FSB or does it have one of the aftermarket clamp on's? What's the asking price?

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all. Just put some pics up on pic thread.

(Philadelphia County)

This place should be able to help

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/

(York County)

I've owned a bunch of SKS over the years and bought my first in the late 80's when a new Chicom was selling for about $75 before paperwork and taxes.

I remember the so called "paratrooper" models. They were never a military gun, merely a marketing gimmick to appeal to American shooters who wanted something cheap that was the same length as an AK.

Yes, if you want one just for the cool factor, get it. Personally I've never owned one, though several friends who did said it wasn't as accurate as a standard SKS. (Maybe the barrel harmonics were off?)

The lack of a bayonet lug makes me think two things:
    1. New made for the civilian market where military features counted against importation.
    2. US Clinton era during the ATF window when the Chinese were still allowed to import centerfire rifles. (c. 1990-1994)

The ban on Chinese guns came about when they kept breaking US laws and at one point the head of one of their major manufacturing companies was convicted of attempting to import tens of thousands of guns that they were expressly told not to do (including at least one shipload of full auto AKs). The Chinese also shamelessly copied a bunch of designs without benefit of royalties to the actual patent holders. The president of the company was found to be personally lying and responsible. A stay in US prisons was avoided, but the upshot was the ban on almost all Chinese made guns.

(Luzerne County)

troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast