Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Selling a rifle to a friend in NY

I have an AR I was thinking of selling. One of my friends in NY wants to buy an AR. I was thinking if I installed a bullet button and a 10 round mag it would make it NY compliant. Then take it to my local FFL and ship it to the FFL of his choice in NY it would be a legal sale. Does anyone see an issue with this?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Default Re: Selling a rifle to a friend in NY

I have no idea what makes a Pa AR NY compliant. All I know is I wouldn't get remotely involved friend or not. Tell him to buy one in NY then no one has to be concerned.

If it's something you must do I would contact a reputable LGS in NY and ask them what needs to be done, and do the transfer there.

(Jefferson County)

I think Safe Act only allows for one regulated feature. The bullet button thing might not pass NY muster like it used to do in California.

So, if your gun has a threaded barrel and a pistol grip - it is probably banned.

• A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following military characteristics:

a. Folding or Telescoping Stock
    b. Protruding Pistol Grip
    c. Thumbhole Stock
    d. Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non-shooting hand
    e. Bayonet Mount
    f. Flash Suppressor
    g. Muzzle Brake
    h. Muzzle Compensator
    i. A threaded barrel designed to accommodate the above
    j. Grenade Launcher
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I have an AR I was thinking of selling. One of my friends in NY wants to buy an AR. I was thinking if I installed a bullet button and a 10 round mag it would make it NY compliant. Then take it to my local FFL and ship it to the FFL of his choice in NY it would be a legal sale. Does anyone see an issue with this?
    I'm the first to want to help a friend, but for myself... I wouldn't get involved with a sale across state lines, especially into NY.
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I'm the first to want to help a friend, but for myself... I wouldn't get involved with a sale across state lines, especially into NY.
    It made me nervous. I thought if I shipped it to an FFL in NY it should be good as long as it was compliant. I think I'm going to tell him to order one, I don't want any problems.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

It made me nervous. I thought if I shipped it to an FFL in NY it should be good as long as it was compliant. I think I'm going to tell him to order one, I don't want any problems.
    I hate to say it, but probably the best course of action. Not worth putting yourself at risk of screwing up some obscure New York rule.

(Butler County)

Having lived the horror of NYSAFE until I left in 2014 and built a post-safe FUAC (F U Andrew Cuomo) rifle, there are no NYSP "approved" devices to work around the ban on "evil features". Many have them, but there hasn't been an approval letter or a court case yet to test the legality of them.

This is the rifle I built using a Thordsen stock and it had zero evil features. Since moving to PA that stock has been sold to a needy NYer and the rifle wear a Magpul collapsible stock and pistol grip. Any recommendations in the Northern Butler county area to thread a barrel for a reasonable amount?

rsz_2015-03-04_233828931_a0970_ios.jpg

My final opinion it's not worth the risk or hassle. Several companies produce NY compliant ARs such as BlackRain Ordinance.

(Washington County)

^ this guy knows what's up. The only way to play in NY is with that ugly looking AR. Your buddy is screwed.

Contact Cory at CDS Arms (cdsarms.com), he knows someone local who can do barrel threading. You can also send a message to Nate7667 on here.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Hokkmike Guest

The FFL in NY is not going to allow him to take the gun if it is not legal. That is precisely why you decided to do it that way in the first place. Owness for compliance with the law rests on him, not you. Why deprive yourself of a sale?

(Bucks County)

Would it work to meet him face-to-face in a Sanctuary City? Tell him to wear a turban.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast