Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 308 of 339 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.fox23.com/news/trending/...I6K7BEYDV7NZE/

San Antonio woman who Ubered to home invasion, got shot by homeowner, sentenced to 20 years
    BOERNE, Texas * A San Antonio woman has been sentenced to 20 years, nearly two years after she was accused of injuring two elderly Boerne, Texas, residents during a robbery attempt that also left her wounded.

According to arrest affidavits, 31-year-old Fabiola Martinez, 31, forced her way into the home in June 2019, and cut 71-year-old Ruby Lehrmann in the hand. Lehrmann retrieved her gun, fired and struck Martinez in the right ear, KENS reported.

>> Read more trending news

Seventy-one-year-old Linda Hanson also sustained bruises during Martinez* robbery attempt.

Martinez reportedly told officers, who captured her on a Fair Oaks Ranch golf course after the botched robbery, that her husband was in a car outside and drove away when the shooting started, the outlet reported.

Prosecutors revealed during Martinez* trial that she bought a power drill, duct tape and a folding knife before taking an Uber to the victims* home and forcing her way inside, WOAI reported.

Meanwhile, investigators said that Martinez had family members who worked as house cleaners in the Boerne area and had previously cleaned the victims* home, the TV station reported.

Despite Martinez* original claim that her husband forced her to commit the crime and then abandoned her at the scene, prosecutors argued successfully that she personally planned the home invasion and provided video surveillance of her purchasing the items used in its commission, WOAI reported.

https://www.fox23.com/news/trending/...I6K7BEYDV7NZE/

San Antonio woman who Ubered to home invasion, got shot by homeowner, sentenced to 20 years
    BOERNE, Texas — A San Antonio woman has been sentenced to 20 years, nearly two years after she was accused of injuring two elderly Boerne, Texas, residents during a robbery attempt that also left her wounded.

According to arrest affidavits, 31-year-old Fabiola Martinez, 31, forced her way into the home in June 2019, and cut 71-year-old Ruby Lehrmann in the hand. Lehrmann retrieved her gun, fired and struck Martinez in the right ear, KENS reported.

>> Read more trending news

Seventy-one-year-old Linda Hanson also sustained bruises during Martinez’ robbery attempt.

Martinez reportedly told officers, who captured her on a Fair Oaks Ranch golf course after the botched robbery, that her husband was in a car outside and drove away when the shooting started, the outlet reported.

Prosecutors revealed during Martinez’ trial that she bought a power drill, duct tape and a folding knife before taking an Uber to the victims’ home and forcing her way inside, WOAI reported.

Meanwhile, investigators said that Martinez had family members who worked as house cleaners in the Boerne area and had previously cleaned the victims’ home, the TV station reported.

Despite Martinez’ original claim that her husband forced her to commit the crime and then abandoned her at the scene, prosecutors argued successfully that she personally planned the home invasion and provided video surveillance of her purchasing the items used in its commission, WOAI reported.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/florida...king-homeowner

Florida man arrested after stealing mail wearing only underwear, attacking homeowner
    HAWTHORNE, Fla. —
    David Dunaway (Alachua County Jail)
    A man from Hawthorne is facing several charges after deputies say he stole mail from a woman wearing only his underwear.

On Thursday, deputies responded to the 17000 block of S County Road 325, according to the report. That's when they heard the bizarre story from the homeowner.

The woman told authorities she came outside to find a man in his undergarments taking mail out of her mailbox, according to the report. When she asked what he was doing, 64-year-old David Dunaway began yelling incoherently and attempted to attack her while she was in her vehicle.

Dunaway swung at her through the car window, but only hit her with the stolen mail, according to the report. The woman drove a short distance away to put space between the two, but Dunaway chased after her.

The homeowner pulled out a handgun she had in the vehicle and told Dunaway she would shoot him if he kept coming after her, according to the report. Dunaway then took off down SE 171st Lane, the road on which he resides.

Dunaway was arrested and charged with burglary with assault or battery and resisting an officer without violence. He remains in custody with a bond of $60,000.

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-count...er-police-say/

Winter Haven neighbors help hold burglary suspect who attacked homeowner, police say
    by: WFLA 8 On Your Side Staff, Staci DaSilvaApr 14, 2021 / 06:16 PM EDT
    Polk County
    Posted: Apr 14, 2021 / 12:58 PM EDT / Updated:
    POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) * A home burglary suspect is behind bars thanks to some help from a few residents in a Winter Haven neighborhood, police say.

According to police, a homeowner on Palm Lane in Winter Haven was inside his home around 5:15 p.m. Tuesday when 26-year-old Dominique Rashad Rogers stepped onto the porch area of the home and then walked into the living area uninvited. When Rogers got inside the home, officers say he immediately attacked the homeowner, grabbing him by the torso and they started to struggle as they fell to the floor.

Winter Haven police say another person inside the home ran outside to a neighbor, frantically yelling for help, and the neighbor called 911.

*Oh, it was very scary!* said Barb Gurgir, who had just moved into a mobile home at Cypress Shores mobile home park in Winter Haven this week.

Gurgir said she and her friend she calls *Reggie,* the homeowner, were sitting at the kitchen table when they heard a loud noise.

Her friend opened the door and saw a man he didn*t recognize.

*[He] pushed Reggie into the house. It was a home invasion,* Gurgir said.

In the meantime, the homeowner was able to break free from Rogers. After grabbing his personal firearm, he went back to the area where Rogers had been but, at that point, police say Rogers had already escaped and made it outside.

*It was pretty scary. I just knew I had to protect myself and I wanted to protect my friend too, that*s why I went next door,* Gurgir said.

When Rogers ran outside, neighbors were able to grab him and held him down until officers arrived, according to the Winter Haven Police Department.

*I think that*s great. I wouldn*t have wanted him to be on the loose out there,* Gurgir said.

*I*ve been here seven years and never witnessed nothing like this,* said Dean Turner.

Turner said he heard a loud knock on his door while he was taking a nap.

By the time he was fully awake, he came outside to see neighbors had Rogers on the ground.

*That impresses me. I don*t know which ones it was but it really impresses me,* he said.

Winter Haven Police Chief David Brannan said the quick action taken by the neighbors prevented anyone getting hurt from an escalation.

*It could have been another person and it may have been worse if it might have been somebody more elderly who couldn*t* have defended themselves,* said Chief Brannan.

The homeowner suffered minor injuries and was treated by EMS on the scene. No one else was injured during the incident.

Rogers was taken into custody and booked into the Polk County Jail on charges of burglary with battery and burglary of an occupied structure.

According to Florida Department of Corrections records, Rogers was released from prison in November 2020 after serving two years for drug-related charges.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...er-police-say/

Suspected car burglar shot, killed during shootout with homeowner, police say
    Incident occurred just before 3 a.m. in 900 block of Deely Place

SAN ANTONIO – One person is dead following a shootout between a homeowner and suspected car burglar early Tuesday morning, San Antonio police said.

The incident occurred just before 3 a.m. in the 900 block of Deely Place, not far from South Flores Street and Roosevelt Avenue on the city’s South Side.

According to police, the homeowner witnessed someone breaking into his vehicle, so he pulled out a gun. That’s when, police said, the suspect also pulled out a gun and the pair exchanged gunfire.

Authorities said the suspect, believed to be 18-25 years old, was shot in the chest. He fled on foot, but was found deceased in Bellaire Park around the corner, police said. A handgun was in his possession.

The name of the person killed was not released, pending notification to next of kin.

Police said the 43-year-old homeowner was not hurt in the incident.

At this time, it is unclear if any charges are expected to be filed against the homeowner. The investigation is ongoing.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/home...63109ab4c.html

Homeowner holds trespasser at gunpoint, two men arrested for burglary
    campbell and young.jpg
    Justin Campbell (left), Christopher Young (right)
    PADUCAH * A local homeowner held a man at gunpoint after finding him, and another man, trespassing in the owner's vacant house.

The McCracken County Sheriff's Office says the property owner called emergency 911 Thursday after finding two people in his vacant home. Deputies say when they arrived at the house, the owner was holding a man by gunpoint, and they found the other man inside.

Deputies say the men * Christopher Young, 48, and Justin Campbell, 35 * were both "squatting" at the house.

Detectives say they found some of the property owner's items inside Young's backpack and some items inside the house had been damaged as well as moved towards the door

A long pry bar was also located with Campbell's belongings.

Young and Campbell, both of Paducah, were arrested and taken to the McCracken County Regional Jail.

Young was charged with third-degree burglary and theft by unlawful taking under $500.

Campbell was charged also charged with third-degree burglary and possession of burglary tools.

https://katu.com/news/local/homeowne...-were-raccoons

Homeowner pulls gun on accused catalytic converter thieves, thinking they were raccoons
    PORTLAND, Ore. —
    A catalytic converter. (KATU FILE/Portland Police Bureau)
    Three people are behind bars, accused of stealing catalytic converters. But, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, authorities weren't called out originally for the theft.

The sheriff's office says a neighbor in the Maywood Park area saw a "suspicious" man with a gun. Turns out, that man was a homeowner who accidentally stumbled upon three people suspected of stealing the catalytic converter off of his car, which was parked in front of his home on Northeast Skidmore Street.

"I’ve been having some problems with raccoons, and so I thought it was raccoons," said the homeowner who asked to not be identified. "I grabbed my 22 and went out to see what the noise was and then I caught three people in the act of stealing my catalytic converter. One of them was under the car, and one was, I think, he was the lookout or something and then there was a woman who was driving."

RELATED: Lawmakers and law enforcement partner to present bill to stop catalytic converter theft
    The homeowner says he was able to keep the three people from getting away until police arrived.

"I’ve never pointed a gun at a person before," he said. "That was the first time I ever had to do that, and I hope the last."

CRIME MAP | Check in on crime in your area with Alert Nest

When police and deputies arrived, the homeowner was detained and then eventually allowed to go back to his home. His firearm was also returned later on.

The other three people were booked into the detention center. The sheriff's office has identified them and their charges as follows:

Jamie Elizabeth Suran, 30:
    - Attempted theft I, misdemeanor
    - Possession of heroin
    - Possession of methamphetamine
    - Possession of oxycodone

Cody James Swartz, 30:
    - Attempted theft I, misdemeanor

Cesar Camacho-Trujillo, 35:
    - Attempted theft I
    - One warrant for theft in the second degree out of Multnomah County (issued a criminal citation)
    - One warrant for UUMV, elude, reckless driving out of Washington County (booked and held in custody)

RELATED: Man sentenced to more than a year in prison for catalytic converter theft
    The homeowner hopes this arrest will help prevent more crimes like this from happening in his neighborhood.

"I’m glad that I was able to stop it from happening and hope that prevents it from happening to other people. They were going to go hit someone else right after they hit me, I’m sure," the homeowner said.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office was not able to say how many reports of stolen catalytic converters they have taken so far this year. The Portland Police Bureau says as of March 11, it took 94 reports. As of March, the Washington County Sheriff's Office took 37 reports in the last six months.

Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmitt was not available to speak on camera Monday but has released previous statements about the rise of catalytic converter thefts. He also testified about a Senate Bill that could make it more difficult for shops to buy stolen catalytic converters.

https://abc13.com/car-theft-suspect-...otel/10525088/

Car theft suspect shot by owner outside NW Harris County motel
    HARRIS COUNTY, Texas -- A man attempting to break into a car at a northwest Harris County motel Saturday night was shot by the vehicle's owner, deputies said.

It happened around 11:00 p.m. in the 11700 block of Veterans Memorial near Milroy at the Palace Inn motel.

The break-in was thwarted by the owner when he came out to confront the man, Harris County sheriff's deputies said. Words were exchanged between the two before the owner opened fire on the suspect.

He was taken to a hospital in serious condition.

The incident was one of at least two in the Houston area where criminal suspects were shot by owners. In Pearland, a homeowner shot a suspect who broke in to their home and attacked two people with a hammer, police said. Three people were hospitalized in that incident.

https://abc13.com/hammer-wielding-in...wner/10525057/

Pearland homeowner shoots hammer-wielding intruder
    PEARLAND, Texas (KTRK) -- A hammer-wielding home invasion suspect was shot by a homeowner Saturday night, ending an attack on two people inside, police said.

It happened around 10:30 p.m. in the 2200 block of North Houston Avenue.

Officers were called to the home for a report of a burglary in progress at the home and found three people with injuries.

The suspect forced their way into the back of the home and started attacking the residents with a hammer, according to police. That's when the homeowner opened fire, hitting the suspect multiple times.

The suspect and two others were transported to hospitals, but their conditions weren't available Sunday morning.

The attack was at least the second incident in the Houston area overnight involving the shooting of someone suspected of a crime. A car theft suspect was shot by the owner of a car Saturday night in northwest Harris County. The suspect in that incident was in serious condition at a hospital.

https://www.kltv.com/2019/10/12/etx-...-injuring-one/

ETX homeowner fires shots at alleged burglars, injuring one
    By KLTV Digital Media Staff and Alex Leroux October 12, 2019 at 10:13 AM CDT - Updated October 13 at 7:37 AM
    FLINT, Texas (KLTV) - Smith County Deputies are investigating a shooting involving a homeowner who deputies say shot and injured a burglary suspect.

The incident happened shortly before 1 a.m. at a home along the 15000 block of Brookstone Drive in Flint.

*I woke to gunshots, several in rapid succession, jumped up, got my clothes on, came out, got my flashlight and my weapon and to see my neighbor who was yelling at me to come over and to help,* recalled Stewart Parris, of last night*s incident.

According to the Smith County Sheriff*s Office, the homeowner stated he arrived home from work when he observed a vehicle pull up to the front of his house with the lights off and several males exit the vehicle. He then observed the males walking around his vehicle, which was parked in his driveway. The homeowner believed that the suspects were trying to break into his car.

The sheriff*s office said the homeowner exited his home armed with a firearm and fired several shots into the air. At this time, the suspects fled the area on foot in a northwest direction. The homeowner then retreated into his home to call 911 as the suspect vehicle pulled away from his residence headed toward the dead-end road where the suspects had fled on foot.

*They jumped into their car * which in fact is stolen * and they sped away,* said Parris. *Unfortunately, they came by here, this direction, which is a cul-de-sac; it*s a dead end. They were pretty much trapped at the end of the street.*

The homeowner came back outside and met with his neighbor, who was now outside armed with a firearm as well. The homeowner was explaining the incident to his neighbor as he was still on the phone with 911.

*There was no law enforcement here, still, we were on our own,* said Parris. *We had the option of running in the house or the option of maybe overseeing and protecting our neighborhood, so that*s what we elected to do.*

The sheriff*s office said at this time, the suspect vehicle approached both of them at a high rate of speed and with its lights off. Both the homeowner and the neighbor felt their lives were in danger as the vehicle approached. The homeowner fired several rounds toward the vehicle and the neighbor fired at least once. The vehicle was struck with the gunfire and swerved off the road into the homeowner*s yard. The vehicle then crossed the road and drove into a wooded area. All suspects fled from the vehicle into the woods.

*In our little rural communities, we don*t think something like this can happen, I certainly didn*t,* said Parris. *But, I was prepared and I was measured in my actions. I did everything I thought was in my rights.*

Other neighbors said they heard knocks on their windows before hearing the gunshots.

*We heard the gunshots,* said Michael Cook, a neighbor. *First, I heard it sounded like somebody was knocking on the window and I got up and looked and that*s when I heard gunshots and some lights flashing around. My cousin stays next door and he also heard knocks on his window.*

A short time later, one of the suspects exited the woods and told the neighbor he had been shot. A deputy had just arrived on scene and requested UT Health East Texas EMS. Upon the arrival of paramedics, the suspect was transported to UT Health East Texas where he is being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

*You have to do whatever you have to do to protect your home and the people inside your home,* said Cook. *I feel like they did the right thing.*

Smith County Investigators were able to interview the suspect who admitted to driving the suspect vehicle along with two passengers. He also admitted that they had broken into several other vehicles just prior to this incident. Investigators also determined that the suspect vehicle was stolen.

*It*s risky to stand up and do something, it has risk, but at the same time we have people here who can*t take care of themselves,* said Parris. *I think it is important to have neighborhood watches. I think it*s important to have each others* back and work together.*

The sheriff*s office said the additional suspects are still at large and the known suspect*s name is being withheld pending additional charges. This investigation will continue.

Parris said he hopes this incident can be a lesson to others, so they can be aware.

*Law enforcement may not be two or three minutes away, its impossible, we are afforded that responsibility to be the first responders, sometimes,* said Parris. *Sometimes, we have to do what we have to do to protect our lives or those of our neighbors. So, be prepared. It can happen anywhere, at any time.*

Anyone with information is asked to call the Smith County Sheriff*s Office.

Page 308 of 339 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318 ... LastLast