Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 310 of 339 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 3384

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...ar/4792540001/

Suspected burglar killed after attempted invasion of West Side apartment
    Apartment residents shot and killed a suspected burglar early Sunday morning when the man entered their residence on Columbus' West Side.
    Columbus police said a resident shot and killed a suspected burglar early Sunday morning when the man entered an apartment on the West Side.

Police were called at 1:58 a.m. to an apartment on the 3400 block of Wilson Woods Drive near Wilson Road on a report of a shooting. The suspected burglar, identified as 36-year-old Allen Lester McKinney, was found outside on a walkway unresponsive and suffering from a gunshot wound.

A medic pronounced the North Side man dead at 2:07 a.m. at the scene.

The apartment's residents — a 24-year-old female and a 23-year-old male — told police that the man had forced entry into their residence before one of them shot him.

Columbus police say McKinney's death is the 42nd homicide in the city this year.

Homicide detectives are investigating the shooting and will refer their findings to the Franklin County Prosecutor's office, which may present the case to a grand jury.

https://kwwl.com/2020/08/31/intruder...nto-palo-home/

UPDATE: Name, timeline released in Palo deadly home invasion
    Olivia SchmittAugust 31, 2020
    UPDATE (4:20 p.m.) – The Linn County Sheriff's Office has released more information on a deadly home invasion in Palo Monday morning.

Authorities said the intruder has been identified as Kevin Kawanzel Harris, 40, of Cedar Rapids.

It all started before 3 a.m. when Harris crashed his Buick Encore into two parked vehicles in the 4600 block of Timber Road. Shortly after, several homeowners in the area of Sage and Ridgeview Drives in Palo called 911 to report someone attempting to break into their homes. It is believed by authorities that Harris was the subject of these calls.

At 2:47 a.m., Harris was seen on home surveillance along Timber Road approaching a front door and continuing down the road.

At 2:53, he was caught again on camera in the 2700 block of Sage Drive breaking out windows near the front door of a home. The homeowner confronted Harris and he left the home before trying to break into other homes.

Around 3:02 a.m., a 911 call came in stating a homeowner in the 2700 block of Ridgeview Drive shot a man who had broken into the home and threatened the family. Deputies found Harris with a single gunshot to the chest.

Investigation showed Harris had broken a window in a child's bedroom at the home before he threw a ceramic flower pot through the glass in the front door. The homeowner told authorities he encountered Harris in the home who was making threatening comments. Fearing for the safety of his family, the homeowner fired the pistol he was carrying.

ORIGINAL STORY

PALO, Iowa (KWWL) -- The Linn County Sheriff's Office is investigating an alleged home invasion that resulted in the death of the intruder.

The Sherriff's Office said starting at 2:55 Monday morning, they began getting numerous 911 calls from different homeowners in the area of Sage and Ridgeview Drive in Palo, reporting a man attempting to break into their homes.

Deputies arrived in the area a short time later at around 3:01 a.m.

At 3:02 a.m., the Sheriff's Office said they received another call from a homeowner. According to authorities, the caller stated a man broke into their home and threatened them and the homeowner said they shot the intruder.

Deputies arrived at the home at 3:03 a.m., secured the scene and started giving the intruder CPR.

The intruder was pronounced dead at 3:16 a.m.

The Sheriff's Office will release the name of the deceased at a later time.

The incident remains under investigation.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/03/...his-residence/

Summit County Sheriff: Green homeowner shoots intruder after man tries to enter his residence
    Stephanie Czekalinski
    City of Green, Ohio (WOIO) - A homeowner shot a man who had returned to his property and tried to enter his residence after trying to steal an ATV earlier that day.

The shooting occurred on Saturday at an address on Mayfield Road in the City of Green, according to a press release from the Summit County Sheriff*s Office.

According to police, the homeowner confronted a man he encountered trying to steal an ATV from his property. The man threatened the homeowner before fleeing, the release said.

A short time later, police say, the man returned to the property and tried to enter the residence, according to the release. The homeowner confronted the man, retrieved a firearm, and warned the man verbally.

He also told the man he had called the sheriff*s office and that deputies were on their way.

Authorities say the man approached the homeowner and the homeowner shot him in the leg.

The Green Fire Department transported the suspect to Summa Akron City Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, the release said.

Criminal charges are pending the conclusion of the investigation, according to the sheriff*s office.

https://fredericksburg.com/news/loca...d74d6d20e.html

Jury clears Caroline man in dog-shooting case
    Unlimited digital access only $1/mo.!
    A Caroline man who had been facing two felony charges for shooting a dog that came onto his property last year was cleared of all charges last week by a county jury.

William Henry Hinton, 75, of Ruther Glen, was acquitted in Caroline Circuit Court Thursday of felony animal cruelty and felony destruction of property. He was also found not guilty of a misdemeanor charge of recklessly discharging a firearm, court records show.

The charges stemmed from a May 6 incident on Abby Drive in the Lake Land *Or subdivision. Authorities at the time said that while the dog was on Hinton*s property when it was shot, it was not posing a threat at the time.

G. Russell Stone, Hinton*s attorney, said Hinton has maintained from the start that the dog was attacking him when he fired in self-defense. A second dog was also on the property, but that dog was not shot, Stone said.

Hinton was charged under a state law that took effect in 2019 that increased the penalty for certain animal abuse from a misdemeanor to a Class 6 felony, which carries the possibility of up to five years in prison.

The dog, Minnie, had its leg amputated after the shooting.

https://www.fox19.com/2021/03/05/no-...osecutor-says/

No charges against shooter in fatal Covington nightclub shooting, prosecutor says
    The prosecutor’s office says it all started over a spilled drink.

Courtney King
    KENTON COUNTY, Ky. (FOX19) - A fatal shooting at a Covington nightclub in January was justified, according to authorities.

The shooting occurred just before closing time on Jan. 10 at 30 Something bar on Greenup Street.

An investigation by the Kenton County Prosecutor’s Office and Covington police found the shooter fired to protect his cousin because the victim had put a gun to the cousin’s abdomen and threatened to kill him.

The prosecutor says it all started over a spilled drink.

The confrontation ensued after Jerome Lewis and Julius Lucas bumped into each other inside the bar, according to Kenton County Prosecutor Rob Sanders.

The two men didn’t know each other, Sanders says, but after the spill, Lewis retrieved a gun from his trunk.

“Once Mr. Lucas exited the bar, Mr. Lewis confronted Mr. Lucas with the handgun by pointing the handgun at Mr. Lucas’s abdomen or torso,” Sanders explained.

Authorities say Lewis threatened to Kill Lucas, and that’s when Lucas’s cousin, Steven Ware, stepped in.

“He drew that gun, firing one shot, striking Mr. Lewis in the head and unfortunately killing Mr. Lewis,” Sanders said.

A months-long investigation ensued.

“But all indications are Mr. Ware was acting in the defense of Mr. Lucas and was justified in his use of deadly physical force,” Sanders explained.

Ware’s attorney sent FOX19 NOW the following statement:

“This case is nothing short of tragic and at no time did Steve envision that he would have to use his weapon that evening. Thankfully for him, for Mr. Lucas and for the other people outside the bar, he was armed and vigilant, or this could have resulted in many more dead at the hands of Mr. Lewis.”

Saunders calls the shooting unfortunate.

“It’s unfortunate that Mr. Ware was put into a situation where he perceived that his cousin was about to be shot and or killed. I understand why he did what he did but never the less, it was all very silly, very unnecessary,” he said.

Steven’s attorney says Ware and Lucas share their sorrow to Lewis’s family for their loss and they have been praying for them.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click here to report it. Please include title of story.

Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.

2 Athens residents killed, 2 jailed in attempted Barrow County robbery
    Two Athens residents were shot to death and two more are in jail after authorities said the four attempted to rob a person Tuesday in Barrow County.

Those killed were identified as Jose Barrera, 19, and Erika Contreras, 19, according to the Barrow County Sheriff*s Office, which released the names Friday.

The two were shot to death during an attempted robbery on Beech Creek Circle, a neighborhood east of Winder off Georgia Highway 82, according to deputies.

Julio Rivera, 20, and Alphonzo Gonzalez, 19, were arrested and charged with attempted armed robbery and aggravated assault. They remain in jail without bond.

Alphonzo Gonzalez
    Deputies said the man targeted for robbery was in a vehicle when the two suspects were shot. The man, who lived on Beech Creek Circle, was with an Athens woman when they stopped due to car trouble, according to the incident report.

The victim "heard footsteps and turned to his right and saw a gun in his face, so he shot the male," the report said. The report contained no information on the shooting of the other suspect who was killed.

The robbery victim, who was shaking, told deputies he could not give a more detailed statement at the scene because he "did not know what else to say," according to the report.

Deputies earlier said the two shooting victims were found near the scene of the robbery attempt, which occurred shortly before 1:30 a.m.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...se/7306873002/

IMPD: Fatal Saturday shooting on city's east side may be self defense
    A shooting over the weekend that left a 40-year-old man dead may have been an act of self-defense, police said.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said officers responded to the 7800 block of Penobscot Drive on a report of a person shot at 2:36 a.m. Saturday. Police said they found a man, identified as William Burnett, with a gunshot wound.

Emergency services took him to the hospital in stable condition, but Burnett died Monday.

Aggravated assault detectives arrived at the scene. Detectives detained, and later released, a woman in the case.

IMPD on Monday said the investigation is ongoing. Police said early evidence shows the shooting may have been in self-defense, but the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office will review the case.

https://www.wtvy.com/2021/04/20/susp...home-invasion/

Suspect shot by resident during Coffee County home invasion
    Devonta Cottrell is charged with first-degree burglary after a home invasion in the Jack...
    Devonta Cottrell is charged with first-degree burglary after a home invasion in the Jack community on April 19, 2021.(Source: Coffee County Sheriff's Office)
    COFFEE COUNTY, Ala. (WSFA) - A home invasion suspect is out of the hospital and in the Coffee County jail after deputies say one of the burglary victims shot him.

The sheriff*s office says Devonta Cottrell, 28, of Troy, illegally entered a home on Alabama Highway 167 in the Jack community. Deputies say he hid in a closet until someone came home.

Sometime before 2:30 p.m. Monday, the couple living there returned home, at which point Cottrell left the closet and began hitting the man with an unknown object, according to the sheriff*s office. The two men got into a physical altercation and the male resident told the woman to get a gun.

Investigators say the woman shot Cottrell in the leg, who then fled into the woods.

Cottrell was caught after a four-hour search. He was taken to a hospital then released to the Coffee County jail.

He is charged with first-degree burglary.

Taken from a post by pghghostrider

https://www.kcci.com/article/i-never...oting/36173197

'I never expected I would touch my gun': Dad pulls CCW gun to protect family in mall shooting

OMAHA, Neb. (KETV) *
    A dad said the choice was easy to grab his concealed carry weapon and protect his family as gunfire erupted at Westroads Mall in Omaha Saturday.

"My daughter is getting baptized next weekend so I wanted to get a nice special outfit for her baptism,* Scott Tafoya said.

As Tafoya was trying on a suit in Von Maur Saturday, his wife and two daughters went upstairs to shop.

He noticed commotion and saw people running. One man made eye contact with him.

"I looked in his eyes and he yelled, *Shooter,'* Tafoya said.

He took off upstairs to find his family.

As he did, he grabbed his gun.

His wife told him she heard gunfire.

"Every indication said our lives were in danger and I was going to do everything in my power to make sure we got out of there OK,* Tafoya said.

He's a legal conceal carry permit holder, even though Westroads Mall is a weapon-free zone.

"I knew that if I ever pulled that out it would truly be a life and death situation and I would deal with the consequences later," he said.

As Von Maur employees shuttled shoppers into a bathroom, he stood guard.

"I said I have a permit, I*m legal,* he said.

He said he stood near the escalators to draw any threat away from where his family was.

"Everyone else on the third floor just got added into that because the best way to keep my family safe was to make sure nobody with ill intentions came up that escalator.*

In that moment, he said he didn't feel fear, but something else.

"I was sad. Because I wasn*t expecting to, if it was real I didn*t think I was going to come home,* he said.

Tafoya said he took the bullets out of his gun and walked toward police with his hands up as soon as they arrived.

"I unloaded my weapon, I put it back in the holster where it was very visible that the slide was locked open. I put my permit in my hands and my hands above my head,* he said.

He said police allowed him to leave without facing any charges.

"I don*t condone anyone breaking the law. I made the decision that was right for my family, and I stand behind it. I may still get in trouble for it, if I do, it was worth it,* he said.

Tafoya said gun-free zones put people at risk.

"I do not want to be carrying a weapon ever. It*s not comfortable, I don*t like it, I wish there was not a need for it,* he said.

Tafoya said he's been a permit holder for around four years.

"I never, never ever expected to ever touch my gum. But, I*m exceptionally thankful that I had it,* he said.

He adds this won't discourage him from going to the mall. Westroads Mall said it will have a weapon sniffing dog on premises for the time being.

https://yellowhammernews.com/11-year...e-little-baby/

11-year-old Alabamian shoots home intruder, mocks him for *crying like a little baby*

(Video above: WVTM*s report on 11-year-old Chris Gaither shooting a burglar)

TALLADEGA, Ala. * A Navy SEAL saying made famous in the recent Lone Survivor film goes something like this:

*Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.*

Well, it only took a 9mm round to the leg to reduce one would-be burglar to tears, according to the 11-year-old Alabama boy who pulled the trigger.

Chris Gaither was home alone last week when he heard a noise and realized a man was breaking into his house.

*When he was coming down the stairs, that*s when he told me he was going to kill me, F-you and all that,* Gaither recalls.

The young boy grabbed a 9mm handgun and *told him I was going to kill him and all that, if he didn*t get out of my house.*

The intruder apparently did not take him very seriously, because he continued pillaging the house, ultimately making for the door with a basket full of goods. That*s when Gaither started firing. On the twelfth and final shot the burglar dropped to the ground in agony after catching a bullet in the leg.

*It was a full metal jacket bullet and it went straight through the bag and hit him in his leg,* Gaither said proudly. *And he started crying like a little baby. When I pulled the gun out on him I guess he didn*t think it was a real gun because he didn*t worry about it, he just kept on walking.*

When asked how he became such a crack shot, Gaither calmly explained that he and his step dad *play zombies for target practice.*

Gaither*s mom says they believe the man who broke into the house * who at this point has not been identified by police * has done it before.

*I hope you learned your lesson for trying to come to this house and steal stuff,* Gaither concluded.

Page 310 of 339 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320 ... LastLast