Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 305 of 339 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,050 of 3385

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/res...eak-in-police/

Resident shoots intruder during Brea break-in: Police
    Brian DayMar 8, 2020 / 03:56 PM PDT
    Local news
    Posted: Mar 8, 2020 / 03:52 PM PDT / Updated:
    The 200 block of South Laurel Avenue in Brea, as pictured in a Google Street View image.
    The 200 block of South Laurel Avenue in Brea, as pictured in a Google Street View image.
    This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A resident shot and wounded an intruder amid an attempted home break-in in Brea early Sunday, officials said.

The incident unfolded just after 7:30 a.m. in the 200 block of South Laurel Avenue, according to the Brea Police Department.

*Officers responded to a report of a male suspect who had been shot by a resident while attempting to break into a residence,* police said in a written statement.

The suspect was found suffering from a single gunshot wound, officials said. He was taken to a hospital in unknown condition and was undergoing surgery Sunday afternoon.

Police said the residents of the home were cooperating with investigators.

No further details were released.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...-in-san-carlos

Intruder fatally shot after home invasion in San Carlos
    SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- A local father is recovering from stab wounds after getting attacked by an intruder in his home.

The man's 20-year-old son shot and killed that intruder according to San Diego Police.

It happened just before 6:30 Tuesday morning at a home in the 6300 block of Lake Shore Drive in San Carlos.

Neighbors heard the violence.

"I heard the gunshots, it was like three or four gunshots, then screams for help immediately after," said Denise Rolla.

When police got to the home, they found the suspect dead in the pool and the 54-year-old homeowner with stab wounds to the upper body.

Police say the homeowner's son shot and killed the intruder, who stumbled out the back and landed in the pool.

"I heard what turned out to be the suspect fall into the pool and then a couple minutes later, you could see the blood start to spread out through the pool," said Andrew Grogg, who lives right next door.

There are walking paths and Mission Trails Golf Course is located behind the homes which are just southwest of Jackson Drive. Neighbors say they don't have a problem with transients in the area, but police say so far, it appears the 38-year-old suspect is homeless. His name hasn't been released.

The family owns a tire shop in La Mesa. They are well known and liked in the community.

"They're local business owners in the community. They're great neighbors. They're kind, they're nice," said Grogg.

Police say so far, the attack appears to be random.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...-home-invasion

Homeowner shoots intruder during alleged home invasion
    GENESEE COUNTY, N.Y. (WKBW) * Police in Genesee County are investigating after a homeowner shot an intruder during an alleged home invasion.

The Genesee County Undersheriff says 36-year-old Charles Cooper forced his way into a home on Clinton Street Road overnight, appeared to be in possession of a gun, and demanded cash from the homeowner.

The 76-year-old homeowner tells 7 Eyewitness News it was shortly after 9:00 p.m. he heard a knock at the door. He says the man, wearing a ski mask pushed him and forced his way inside.

"He had the gun in my face," the man said.

The homeowner says the suspect then asked the couple to move to the back mud room. The homeowner went first, knowing he had the double-barrel shotgun in the room.

"I hurried up and went down, he didn't follow me right away. I backed up against the wall, reached up and got the shotgun. I put it behind me. He couldn't see it. He turned around, dropped his money and he reached down and I shot from the hip. He went down," the homeowner said.

The homeowner says his wife called 911.

Cooper was airlifted to Strong Memorial Hospital. He is listed in critical condition.

Police say the homeowner's long gun was legally-owned.

This is a developing story, check back for additional information.

Here’s one from 2012 that never made it into the thread.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/okla-woman...ry?id=15285605

Okla. Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder: 911 Operators Say It's OK to Shoot
    ABC News
    Teen mom shot and killed intruder to protect her three-month-old baby.

By KEVIN DOLAK and RYAN OWENS

January 4, 2012, 4:11 AM

• 3 min read

Young Mom Shoots Intruder
    Young Mom Shoots Intruder

19-year-old with a baby says 911 operator told her to "do what you need to do."

Jan. 4, 2012— -- A young Oklahoma mother shot and killed an intruder to protect her 3-month-old baby on New Year's Eve, less than a week after the baby's father died of cancer.

Sarah McKinley says that a week earlier a man named Justin Martin dropped by on the day of her husband's funeral, claiming that he was a neighbor who wanted to say hello. The 18-year-old Oklahoma City area woman did not let him into her home that day.

On New Year's Eve Martin returned with another man, Dustin Stewart, and this time was armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. The two soon began trying to break into McKinley's home.

As one of the men was going from door to door outside her home trying to gain entry, McKinley called 911 and grabbed her 12-gauge shotgun.

McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO that she quickly got her 12 gauge, went into her bedroom and got a pistol, put the bottle in the baby's mouth and called 911.

"I've got two guns in my hand -- is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" the young mother asked the 911 dispatcher. "I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

The 911 dispatcher confirmed with McKinley that the doors to her home were locked as she asked again if it was okay to shoot the intruder if he were to come through her door.

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told her. McKinley was on the phone with 911 for a total of 21 minutes.

When Martin kicked in the door and came after her with the knife, the teen mom shot and killed the 24-year-old. Police are calling the shooting justified.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Det. Dan Huff of the Blanchard police said.

Stewart soon turned himself in to police.

McKinley said that she was at home alone with her newborn that night because her husband just died of cancer on Christmas Day.

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO. "It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...s-her-husband/

Son of woman, 80, who fatally shot intruder: *He got what he had coming*
    Christine ClarridgeUpdated April 29, 2016 at 6:19 pm
    The son of an 80-year-old Sultan woman who fatally shot an intruder who stabbed her husband said he*s proud of his mother*s bravery * and her marksmanship.

Share story
    By
    Seattle Times staff reporter

The son of an 80-year-old Sultan woman who fatally shot the intruder who stabbed her husband on Thursday night said he*s proud of his mom and doubts there will be any more intruders.

*They*ll come in, look at her and run the other way,* said the 45-year-old, who asked not to be named out of concern for his family*s privacy after they were victims of the home intrusion.

The woman called Snohomish County Sheriff*s Office deputies to a home in the 13700 block of Woods Lake Road around 8:30 p.m. after the fatal shooting.

The son, who had gone to sleep early, said law-enforcement officers told him and his mother that the 25-year-old man who broke into their home was from Gold Bar and was known to them.

Most Read Local Stories
    He said the man had been rifling around in his stepfather*s truck and had filled it with lawn tools he apparently intended to steal.

It appears the man was unable to hot-wire the truck, so he smashed the back kitchen window with a crow bar and forced his way through the back door, the son said.

*Then he stabbed my stepdad with a big knife, six inches long and two inches wide, *cause he wanted the car keys,* he said. *My mom hears what*s going on, comes out and sees the guy standing over my stepdad, and there*s blood all over the floor and his guts are coming out.*

The man said his mother turned and ran through the center of the house and into her bedroom. She could hear the intruder*s footsteps right behind her, but he ran past her room, the son said.

*She grabbed her gun, comes out, shoots him four times and kills him,* the son said.

His mother is apparently a pretty good natural shot, he said, as she*s fired the weapon only once before, and three of the four bullets struck the attacker.

The intruder was pronounced dead at the scene, and the wounded 75-year-old was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, according to Sheriff*s Office spokeswoman Shari Ireton. The woman*s husband is in serious condition in intensive care, said Harborview spokeswoman Susan Gregg.

The alleged intruder was identified as Steven N. Sheppard, who died from multiple gunshot wounds, the Sheriff*s Office said.

The Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney*s Office said the case will be forwarded to prosecutors and reviewed for possible charges as a matter of procedure once the investigation is complete.

*My mother doesn*t feel bad, and neither do I,* the son said. *He almost killed my stepdad. He got what he had coming.*

One from 2011

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/police-wo...nse/241762740/

Police: Woman Shot Intruder 9 Times In Self Defense
    May 13, 2011 at 11:23 am EDT
    GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga.,None — An intruder who was shot and killed after a confrontation with a Duluth woman in her shower was likely stalking her for days and may have other victims, Gwinnett police said.

Police: Woman Shot Intruder 9 Times In Self Defense School Counselor Shoots, Kills Home Intruder

The 53-year-old woman, who is also a veteran private school counselor, was alone at the time of the Wednesday morning attack. She lives on East Mount Tabor Circle in Duluth.

The woman was getting out of the shower when she was met by a strange man with a kitchen knife, police said. They said there was a struggle in the bathroom, and she fell in the tub. Police later identified the man as Israel Perez Puentes, a Cuban national who lived in Alpharetta.

"The male was armed with a kitchen knife, a struggle ensued between the two of them. She fell in the bathtub injuring herself," Gwinnett police spokesman Edwin Ritter said.

The woman tried to fight the man off with a shower a rod, and he forced her into her bedroom, police said. They said she told her attacker she had money in the room. But she grabbed a .22-caliber handgun and shot the man nine times, police said.

Police said the man ran out of a back door and collapsed in the yard. He later died at the Gwinnett Medical Center. The victim, who was injured in the scuffle, was also taken to the hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. Police have not released her name.

Police told Channel 2's Kerry Kavanaugh they don't know why the woman was targeted.

"He may have seen her somewhere and he identified her as being a potential victim and he basically stalked her until he found the right moment to act on it," said Ritter.

"Our department is looking into any other cases around metro atlanta area as well as our jurisdiction to see if he may be involved with any other sexual assaults that may have occurred."

Dan Tucker, a friend and neighbor, said he was amazed at how the victim defended herself against the armed intruder.

"She's smart, she's witty and obviously well prepared," Tucker said.

Ritter said the shooting investigation was ongoing but defended the victim, saying the shooting appeared to be justified, and that she acted in self-defense. He said there are no plans to charge her.

Police said Thursday that neighbors had spotted Puentes' car in the neighborhood several days before the attack but did not report it. Puentes' estranged wife told Kavanaugh he had been arrested for burglary in Johns Creek in December.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Fl...564366381.html

Florida woman, 8 months pregnant, kills home intruder with AR-15, sheriff says
    A woman who was eight months pregnant shot and killed a home intruder who attacked her husband...
    A woman who was eight months pregnant shot and killed a home intruder who attacked her husband in Florida, the family told police. (Source: Gray Media)(GIM)
    One man is dead after a husband and wife said two men broke into their home and made demands, the

Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office
    said.

“They came in heavily hooded and masked,” homeowner Jeremy King told Bay News 9. “As soon as they had got the back door opened, they had a pistol on me and was grabbing my 11-year-old daughter.”

That’s when they began pistol-whipping him and demanding money, King said.

“I’ve got a fractured eye socket, a fractured sinus cavity, a concussion, 20 stitches and three staples in my head,” he said, outside his home about 20 miles southeast of Tampa. “I took a severe beating.”

King’s wife, who’s 8 months pregnant, peeked out of a back bedroom during the commotion to see what was going on, according to King.

One of the men saw her and fired off a shot, he said. She closed the door and grabbed the family’s AR-15.

“During that incident, the female homeowner retrieved a firearm, which was in the house legally, and fired one round which struck the male victim, who was (found) deceased in the ditch,” said Maj. Frank Losat with the sheriff’s office.

The other suspect fled, and deputies are still looking for him.

"Them guys came in with two normal pistols and my AR stopped it,” King said. “(My wife) evened the playing field and kept them from killing me."

Detectives don’t believe the Oct. 30 break-in was a random attack.

"There’s some relationship there or some acquaintance turned the suspects onto this family for some reason,” according to Losat.

https://abc7news.com/brisbane-shooti...asion/5902103/

Brisbane homeowner shoots and kills intruder, police say
    BRISBANE, Calif. (KGO) -- A quiet neighborhood in Brisbane was blocked off with police tape Monday night after what appears to be a home invasion that turned deadly.

It happened around 4:20 p.m. at a house in the 300 block of Alvarado Street.

ABC7 News tried to talk to neighbors and they wouldn't go on-camera but police told us they can't remember something this violent happening in Brisbane.

RELATED: Burglary suspects caught on camera breaking into several San Ramon homes

When police arrived, a man was found at the home with fatal gunshot wounds. The resident was safe inside and now, cooperating with police.

"We don't have quite the details yet, it sounds like it was the intruder was the one who was shot," said Michelle Moneda, public information officer for Brisbane Police Department.

According to police, there was no threat to the neighborhood and that the crime was isolated to the one house. Police are still trying to determine if there was a connection between the resident and the person who was shot.

"We pride ourselves on our citizens and our community here, we don't have very much violent crime here I have to say," said Moneda.

RELATED: Fremont home invasion robbery suspect in custody after rooftop standoff

The shooting is still under investigation.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/its-s...n-self-defense

Police: Las Vegas woman shoots, kills intruder in self defense
    LAS VEGAS (KSNV) *
    As crime scene tape covered houses, and multiple cop cars filled the streets, neighbors say they still can't believe it. (KSNV)
    "I realized that something traumatic has happened in my neighborhood," said Misael Juarez.

As crime scene tape covered houses, and multiple cop cars filled the streets, neighbors say they still can't believe it.

"You never think that this could happen here, in my neighborhood," said Deb Scheidt. "It's scary. I don't even want to go to the mailbox, and it's just right here on the corner you know?"

Officers say the shooting happened this morning. They say a man attempted to burglarize a home but was shot by a woman inside. The Clark County Coroner's office identified the man Monday as 30-year-old Justin Jarrod Smith.

"I heard a pop sound," said neighbor Sterling Boyd. "Not too long later I noticed that there was some crime scene tape being put up."

Police are calling the incident self-defense. They say the suspect drove off with a flat front tire.

Boyd says he saw that car drive by.

"It kept going, it rounded the corner. didn't think much of it," he said.

The suspect was pulled over according to officers. He was taken to the hospital, where he later died.

Those next door say they're supporting their neighbor.

"She has my respect and my prayers," said Juarez.

"If somebody was in my backyard, well I'd probably do the same thing that lady did," said Scheidt.

And keeping a wide eye, for any future crimes.

"I hope any would-be crime breakers learn their lesson that yah, people are scared when you break into their house, but they are also prepared," said Boyd.

https://ksltv.com/396478/home-intrud...led-homeowner/

Home intruder shot, killed by homeowner
    By Alex Cabrero | June 8, 2018 at 4:17 pm
    UPDATED: June 9, 2018 at 12:22 am

WEST JORDAN, Utah – Chances are, if a lot of police cars are gathered in one spot in your neighborhood, it’s not for something good.

“Just really surprised something like this would happen in our community,” said John Painter, who lives just a few houses down the road from the home West Jordan police officers had yellow crime tape around. “This would probably be the last place you would think something like this would happen.”

At about 5:30 a.m. Friday, police say his neighbor shot and killed a woman who had got into his home near 7600 South, 6700 West in West Jordan.

Police identified the woman as 23-year-old Makayla Juanita Yeaman.

Makayla Yeaman

It appears she used a garage door opener to get in.

“They were sleeping. They heard the garage door open and dogs barking, so the male grabbed a firearm to go down and investigate what was going on,” said West Jordan police officer Scott List.

When the homeowner got downstairs, that’s when he saw Yeaman inside his home.

“There was some type of altercation and he fired at least one shot and she has succumbed to those injuries and is now dead,” said List.

Police say after he shot her, he heard the garage door open again, but never saw a second person.

“We’re still trying to figure that out,” said List.

Investigators are looking into the possibility Yeaman was going into parked cars looking for garage door openers.

Several cars parked near the home had yellow crime tape over them as detectives looked for any evidence on and in the cars.

According to jail records, Yeaman was arrested in May 2018, on drug charges and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail.

She was also included in a KSL story two years ago on Utah Prison inmates who were earning their adult high school diplomas.

At the time, during her interview with KSL, she talked about life in prison, saying, “When you’re in a place like this, you really feel alone. It feels really lonely (even though) you’re surrounded by people all the time. Nobody’s your friend, you can’t trust anybody, and you’re not allowed to say how you feel.”

Yeaman also talked about drugs, the reasons why she was in trouble, and what she was hoping for after getting out.

There’s more to life than drugs and violence. I want to help people,” she said in the interview.

The wife of the man who shot her said the family didn’t want to answer any questions at this time.

West Jordan police say they are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting, but the man who shot her is not being charged with anything at this time and was allowed to go back home.

“Obviously, a citizen of Utah has the right to defend their property, and so we’re certainly going to look into that, especially when it’s in your home,” said Officer List.

West Jordan police officer Scott List.

Painter, who is also the HOA president of the Maples Community in the neighborhood, says he’d like to try and prevent this type of crime in the future.

“In our next meeting, we’ll talk about doing some crime watch, whether that means a certain street we’ll keep an eye on or whatever the case may be, just to make sure that nothing like this ever happens again in our community,” said Painter.

Page 305 of 339 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315 ... LastLast