Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 339 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Default Re: Armed citizens making a difference thread.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/253...rks-new-debate

SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -
    Nineteen-year-old Dante Williams' family said there is no doubt he entered the Waffle House in Chesnee back in January of 2012 intent on robbing it, but they say he didn't have to die.

FOX Carolina obtained surveillance video from inside the Waffle House that investigators said shows Williams and his accomplice Jawan Craig come into the restaurant. Deputies said Williams is the one seen pointing a gun and demanding money.

Sitting at the bar area of the restaurant was Justin Harrison, a concealed weapon permit holder, who was armed the night of the robbery.

"They're yelling 'everybody get down, get down' and I'm not getting on the floor. I am not going to be a victim," Harrison said.

Harrison said while the men terrorized other customers and staff he was deciding when to act.

"This was the only time," Harrison said. "If I am going to fight it was that one time. He was approaching me and I saw that as him engaging me."

The video shows Williams, gun by his side, walk back toward Harrison, who stands up and fires several shots killing Williams almost instantly.

The video then shows Harrison trying to hold Craig at gunpoint. But Craig tries grabbing Harrison's gun and after a struggle Craig escapes.

Deputies later caught up with Craig, and he has since been convicted in the robbery. Thanks in part to the surveillance video.

David Blanton, a former Spartanburg county deputy, was Harrison's CWP instructor and after reviewing the video he says Harrison followed his training and was justified in firing.

"Not only was he defending his own life, which the law says he can do, but there were other people in the restaurant," Blanton said.

According to Blanton, getting a CWP involves filling out an application, followed by an eight-hour course taught by a qualified instructor, a written exam, and finally a live-fire qualification.

Tamika McSwain is Williams' cousin and said more training is needed before someone is given a CWP. McSwain said the video contradicts statements made by Harrison about what happened the night of the robbery, and said if Harrison had been bettered trained he may not have fired the fatal shots.

"I understand he felt threatened by the situation," McSwain said. "But he said the gun was pointed at him so he fired. In fact he (Williams) was walking out."

McSwain admits that Williams made a terrible decision the night he died.

"It still puzzles us as to why he would do something so crazy," said McSwain.

Williams actions were out of character for the Dorman High School senior who his family said had never been in trouble before.

"He was always sharp, always goofy, loved to dance, he was a respectable boy," McSwain said.

McSwain said her family was disappointed that Harrison wasn't charged in the shooting and says her family is still considering pursuing other legal action against him.

Both the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office and Seventh Circuit Solicitor's office cleared Harrison in the shooting.

But McSwain said her cousin's death shows that more training is need for CWP holders. Harrison meanwhile said the video shows he did what he had to.

"They got the gun, he (Williams) picked it up. He could have said no," Harrison said. "He hung out with the wrong crowd."

A judge sentenced Craig to 30 years in prison for his part in the robbery.

Caught on camera Teenager protects brothers during home invasion without having to fire a shot.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...s-youd-expect/

Car Thief’s Horrible Miscalculation Turns Out to Be Deadly After He Targeted Armed Former Marine – Who Was Just as Heroic as You’d Expect

A former Marine in Maple Valley, Wash., didn’t expect to encounter a car thief breaking into his truck as he prepared to walk his dog Tuesday morning. Then again, the thief didn’t expect to run into an armed former Marine either.

The thief, identified only as a 27-year-old male, and his girlfriend were reportedly driving a stolen Honda with stolen plates when they decided to break into a pickup truck. As the owner of the truck, the former Marine, came out to walk his dog, he saw the crime in progress and confronted the criminals.

In an instant, guns were drawn and bullets were flying through the air. The former Marine was deadly accurate, hitting the male suspect several times before he could hide behind the truck. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

The former Marine, identified by KING5 as “Keenan,” 24, was also just as heroic as you’d expect someone with such a distinction to be.

His aunt reportedly witnessed the attempted carjacking and is positive her nephew’s brave actions saved her life.

“He shoved me out of the way when the guy was going to shoot at us,” Kristen Hague told KOMO-TV. She also said it looked like the thief had a gun and Keenan “pushed me out of the way and yelled ‘gun!’ and I don’t think if he would have done that, I would be alive… I think he was defending me — I totally see it.”

Though the incident ended badly for the suspect, Hague said the shooting was completely justified.

“My life was in danger; my nephew’s life was in danger, and he did the right thing even though it ended really bad and really sad,” she added.

The woman even reportedly attempted CPR on the suspect who had just tried to shoot her until medics arrived.

“Detectives say they recovered at least two weapons from the scene — a .45 caliber apparently used by the thief and a 9 millimeter from the man who shot the suspect,” KOMO-TV reports.

The deceased suspect’s girlfriend was arrested in the incident and police learned she also had a felony arrest warrant for burglary.

Police reportedly questioned the former Marine about the shooting — then released him.

Armed Texas Husband Shoots Robbers

Armed Texan Shoots Violent Craigslist Robber

Armed robber killed by concealed carrier (Michigan)

Barber drops clippers and grabs his gun, stops armed robbery (Ohio)

Armed Good Samaritan Praised for Saving Cop's Life in Shooting Standoff

Published on Jan 12, 2013
    EARLY, Texas -- A Good Samaritan with a good aim is credited with saving the life of a small-town cop who was under fire.

Vic Stacy, 66, was inside his trailer at the Peach House RV Park in Early, Texas, roughly two hours southeast of Abilene, when he heard gunfire.

One of his neighbors, Charles Ronald Conner, had shot and killed David Michael House, 58, and Iris Valentini Calaci, 57, allegedly in a dispute over their dogs defecating on his property.
    Witnesses say Conner shot David House first, then stood over his body and fired a second time. They say he killed Calaci in the same manner. The first officer on the scene, a sergeant from the Early Police Department, also came under fire.

"I'm just a citizen trying to help an officer out," Stacy told the Brownwood Bulletin. "That's what I was trying to do."

Conner, armed with an assault rifle and hiding behind a tree, began to fire at the officer, who took cover behind his patrol car. Stacy came out of his trailer and saw the officer was pinned down and wouldn't have a clear shot. But Stacy felt he had a good angle and might be able to help with a lucky shot from his .357 magnum pistol.

"And I thought he's fixin' to kill that boy," said Stacy. "And that's why I squared off and hit him in the leg and knocked him down." Police estimate Stacy was shooting from as much as 150 feet away.

"I saw him turn the gun around toward my direction and I saw him throw another one in the chamber and he took another shot at me. And that's when I put three more in him," said Stacy.

Investigators say Stacy hit his neighbor four times. The officer, also armed with an assault rifle, hit the suspect at least twice. They do not know whose shots killed the suspect. Either way, police praised Stacy for his help.

"Any time you take someone's life, it's not an easy situation," said Brown County Sheriff Bobby Grubbs. "You know I guess the main consolation on this is I think he helped save the officer's life, kept him from driving into an ambush."

"So that's the way it is, you know," Stacy said to the Brownwood Bulletin. "A man's just gotta live with it now."

The police sergeant was not injured. Stacy was originally handcuffed and questioned at the scene when other officers arrived. But he was quickly released when the officer he helped save explained what happened.

Oregon CCW Holder Confronted Gunman And Stopped Clackamas Town Center Mall Shooting

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...acted-suspect/

Armed Citizen Who Threw Wallet to Distracted Suspect: ‘That’s When I Lit Him Up’

An armed citizen, who was in Detroit’s E&S Carry Out Shrimp Shack during an alleged robbery, says he threw his wallet on the floor, and when the robbery suspect looked away to retrieve it, the citizen shot him.
    The incident occurred around 5:45 p.m. on January 21.

According to ClickonDetroit.com, the armed citizen is a concealed carry permit holder going only by “Dennis” to protect his privacy. He was in the Shrimp Shack with his girlfriend, Latanya, when an alleged armed robbery suspect came in and ordered everyone to hand over their “cash.” Dennis and his girlfriend “and another customer started throwing their money and wallets on the floor.”

The suspect allegedly pointed his gun at Latanya’s face but was distracted by the wallets on the floor and looked away to pick them up. Dennis used the brief distraction as an opportunity to draw his own gun and shoot the suspect in the stomach.

Dennis said, “When I saw he had the gun in her face, and I threw my wallet down and keys, he turned to look and get the money, that’s when I lit him up.” He then “kicked the robber’s gun away” and tended to the wounded suspect until first responders arrived.

Following the incident, Dennis made clear that he did not have a specific plan to distract the suspect, but he took advantage of the situation when the distraction occurred. He added, “Even though you give them everything, they’ll still shoot you, and I wasn’t going out like that.”

WWJ reports that Detroit police said Dennis will face no charges for his actions; he “acted in self-defense.

Page 2 of 339 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast