Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: electric heat problems?

I heat 1100 sq on the main floor and about 500 downstairs. 32 year old electric baseboards. Mini-split air. Eash room has a thermostat. So Down when not in a room.
    My budget is 170 a month PPL. Other than cable it's my only utility bill. If you have PPL they will do an energy audit.

When I had the budget plan I averaged about $150/month. Then at the end of the year I would get a couple over $300. Now I'm always under $100. I actually had a credit the last two months.

(Monroe County)

FYI this is a thread that somehow got bumped from 2017.

Love pellet stoves and kerosene heaters fwiw.

We are not in PA for the winter but I have to keep the wife warm in Apr/May until Oct /Nov. we have a lightly built summer cabin that is on piers so the plumbing is vulnerable during the *cold* months. I had insulation blown into the walls and placed between the joists under the house and in the attic. I have a mini split system for AC and heat. It is efficient to -18F. I also have a propane insert in an existing fireplace. Between the two, I have no problem. As was mentioned, PPL Will do an energy audit if you are a customer. I do not know if that includes an infrared scan of the house to detect cold spots but it a good idea. You still have half a winter to get through and a tough time of it according to Punxatawny Phil. See you in Spring.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by toddxtyboy View Post
    More adventures in my new home in the Poconos!

so our first electric bill came in at $260, and we were shocked! we changed our high use lights to LED bulbs and changed our thermostat from 68 to 63 degrees in the occupied rooms. The next bill came in and it was $420!! thats almost as much as my mortgage!

I wear we couldn't be using that much electricity so today I went breaker by breaker to determine what was using so much. sure enough it is our electric baseboard heaters. In our unscientific test it brings the rotation of the analog electric meter from 20 mississippi's to 3 mississipi's.

Could something be wrong with the wiring? or is this just how much it costs for electric heat?

About the home: 2600sq ft, individual room thermostats and a propane fireplace in the kitchen. Thermostats are set to 63 where we stay, night time and bathrooms set to 50. I'm not sure if i need to keep heat on in the bathrooms to prevent pipes from freezing,

Thank you guys!
    Electric baseboard heaters is about the most-expensive method you can use. $260 for a month @ 2600 sq. ft. is actually pretty reasonable.

If nothing else, be glad you're not "oil" heat. At my old house (~2,800 sq. ft) that was running me ~$800 a month.

Other options are heat pump - which will be more-efficient probably 9 months a year, but kill you 3 months a year the ambient temp is below freezing where it's not very efficient.

Another 'electric' option is geothermal - basically a heat-pump that works off groundwater temp. That's what we do and it's rare we have >$100 monthly expense. But install costs are significant.
    DGAF

(Monroe County)

I love my electric baseboard, I have a well insulated bilevel that catches the wind on a hill. people that move here and want to heat over 2K sq feet should look around and figure out why most locals don't build that big.

A good friend that also lives in the Poconos posted this:

Terry Everett
    Here is a good comparison of fuel costs. I taught HVAC for 20 years and have Everett's A/C in Saylorsburg. I had a very efficient oil system in my house, and it cost me $2,000 a year to heat it. I converted to a heat pump, and it cost $525 for the year. This winter it is averaging out to $600 to $700. High efficiency propane costs about 60% more than the heat pumps we currently install. Oil costs about 70% more. Baseboard electric about 70% more. Pellet stoves about 40% more. If anyone has any questions, go to my Everett's A/C Facebook page and give me a call.
    Last edited by Exbiker; February 5th, 2022 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toddxtyboy View Post
    More adventures in my new home in the Poconos!

so our first electric bill came in at $260, and we were shocked! we changed our high use lights to LED bulbs and changed our thermostat from 68 to 63 degrees in the occupied rooms. The next bill came in and it was $420!! thats almost as much as my mortgage!

I wear we couldn't be using that much electricity so today I went breaker by breaker to determine what was using so much. sure enough it is our electric baseboard heaters. In our unscientific test it brings the rotation of the analog electric meter from 20 mississippi's to 3 mississipi's.

Could something be wrong with the wiring? or is this just how much it costs for electric heat?

About the home: 2600sq ft, individual room thermostats and a propane fireplace in the kitchen. Thermostats are set to 63 where we stay, night time and bathrooms set to 50. I'm not sure if i need to keep heat on in the bathrooms to prevent pipes from freezing,

Thank you guys!
    My Bill is half of that ! But then our Home is only 1,300 sq.ft. Without Vaulted ceilings !

(Lancaster County)

What is the voltage of your electric baseboard heaters?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345