Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Weapons mounted lighht ergonomics?

With the talk of mounted weapons lights in a few other threads I started considering one for home defense? The problem is my grip. I wrap my left index finger around the front of the trigger guard (I'm right handed). I've done this for years and I'm not sure I can, or want to, change.
    Anyone have to adjust to shooting with a rail mounted light? How did it work out for you?
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

Default Re: Weapons mounted lighht ergonomics?

Mako makes a side mount. I'm not 100% sure but I do believe it leaves room to wrap your finger around the front of the guard. May be worth looking into.

What gun are you using? Might help us with choices for you.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    What gun are you using? Might help us with choices for you.
    Weeell, the only gun I currently have with a rail is a S&W M&P22. I'm actually going to buy a 9mm home defense platform to mount the light on.
    I'm looking for something inexpensive but reliable. My current nightstand gun is a S&W K frame 357 (no rail or option for a light). If I can talk my wife into it I would like to retire the K frame for a higher capacity 9mm with a rail. For a nightstand gun I don't need any bells and whistles, just something basic and reliable. I think I may pick up a S&W SD9ve.
    The Hostler

(Lancaster County)

i run a inforce apl on my carry gun (Glock 19) and a x300 on my bedside gun (Glock 17). With both lights attached it creates a small pocket in between the back of the light and the front of the trigger guard. So when I grip the pistol I rest my index finger (support hand), in the small gap. It would require you to change your grip some, but might not be too bad.

As far as WML the X300 is an awesome light for home defense

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    With the talk of mounted weapons lights in a few other threads I started considering one for home defense? The problem is my grip. I wrap my left index finger around the front of the trigger guard (I'm right handed). I've done this for years and I'm not sure I can, or want to, change.
    Anyone have to adjust to shooting with a rail mounted light? How did it work out for you?
    Ray, I'm right handed as well and use your same grip when shooting.

I too only have one handgun with a rail & it is a S&W 22comp. I mounted a Streamlight TLR3 on it. I still use the same grip except my pointer finger now extends to the light "on/off" switch. It came natural. * Sorry I couldn't use both hands and take the pic at the same time

Last edited by ExFlyinguy; January 22nd, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Chester County)

If you maintain a proper grip on the pistol and you are right handed, your thumbs will be parallel on the left side of the firearm. You would activate the light controls on an x300 or trl-1 with the thumb of your left hand. If you want to turn the light on so that it is fixed on like a flashlight, then rotate the switch on the x300. If you want to just light up the room to make a quick identification then use the left thumb to push in on the switch. The tlr works a little different but it still can be manipulated with your thumbs. I think on the tlr you would need the index finger of your right hand to turn that on. Otherwise, you can operate the tlr controls with your left thumb.