Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Reloading virgin no more!

Over the past couple weeks, I've built my reloading bench. Tonight I tested my first hundred rounds at FCO. I loaded two different powders, 50 rounds per.

.40S&W - test pistol was my Beretta96. It was a huge thrill. Cases looked great afterwards. Every round fed, fired, and cycled the action. Accuracy and recoil was incredible with one set, while the other wandered beyond 12 yards and had a bit too much 'oomf' to it.

Can't wait to use my results to work up another set. I haven't posted in this branch yet, but I've read alot of threads by others here. All of your information and opinions helped me build my reloading station. Thanks for that!!!

One question though. I plan on reducing the one charge. Will I need to seat the bullet a bit deeper? Is added bullet depth (shortened OAL) directly proportional to the lessened powder height within the case? Or should I lessen the powder charge a bit with the same OAL and see how it works before I seat the bullet deeper? Copying starting loads out of a load manual was easy, now the fun begins...

(Union County)

Default Re: Reloading virgin no more!

bullet seating/OAL has nothing to do w/ the powder charge size. Seating is about "land jump" or the distance the bullet 'jumps' when leaving the case mouth before engaging the rifling lands of the throat, where the crimp cannelure is located and being the appropriate length to function thru a magazine. clear as mud?

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, what tk said.

Plus when making adjustments to loads, you want to change only one thing at a time. If you change more than one, powder/oal , you won't know which change did what to your resulting accuracy, functionality. more mud for ya.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Berks County)

Yes, clear...got it. I'll do a bit more reading about OAL before messing with it. Smart advice on the one thing at a time too, appreciate it.

Thanks!

(Chester County)

I just stated toreload myself. The first reload was 38 sp then I did 45 acp then I went to 223 rem. for my bolt gun. Now I am doing 223 rem for my ar. I went slow read a lot of books and asked alot of questions. I have been very sucessful.

I enjoy it very much and am saving a lot of money. I am almost fully set up. I need a tumbler and a few do dads. i have brass and dies for all my calibers and a nice amount of primers. i need to get bullets but I can do that as i go.

After you start reloading you will not want to buy factory ammo any more. I use to get the sales and buy buy buy. now I see a sale and laugh at how much ammo costs. I wont buy it at all.

here is an example of the savings.

45 acp 500 LSWC from better bullets 36 bucks. 500 LPP 15 bucks. approx 1/3 of a pound of powder 6 bucks. Thats approx 57 bucks for 500 45 acp go beat that.

Have fun.