Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Bird Owners, Report in! Soon to be Hahn's Macaw owner

She hatched in late June, and we'll get to take her home once she's done weaning.

I've previously had two cockatiels; and am quite excited on moving to a bigger bird. After handling some of the truly large birds (Hyacinth Macaws, Scarlet Macaws, B&G Macaws, Palm Cockatoos, etc) I've decided I am not ready for something quite that large.

We really fell in love with a Severe and a Yellow Collar, but later found both of those birds were sold. After handling some of the Hahn's Macaws, we decided that this may be just the bird for us. Relatively small (12-14 inches, compared to a Blue/Gold at 30+in), not super loud, and a bit easier to handle.

What's really humorous is how big they THINK they are. Aly and I had a fun time playing with them, and can't wait for the new addition.

I don't have a picture yet, as we just picked her last night, but I will be visiting her tomorrow, and will try to get some. She should look something like this in a few months:

Default Re: Bird Owners, Report in! Soon to be Hahn's Macaw owner

You're going to enjoy her! They are quite comical!

They still can give a nasty bite, (don't ask me how I know that) so hand train her immediately. And socialize her, because, they can become attached to one person and that could make for a bad situation if you have a family.
    Last edited by Michele; September 3rd, 2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: oops....spelling

(Bucks County)

Yeah, we plan on visiting her a few times a week until she is weened, so she can play, get used to us, and learn to socialize. I also like the fact that this breeder has many birds for her to interact with until we take her home.

Can't wait

(Allegheny County)

I have a Yellow Naped Amazon, sorry no pictures. Spencer is 19 years old as of March. You will really enjoy the new pet. They are quite fun. Definately make sure everyone in the family handles it often so that it doesn't become too attached to any one person. Our Spencer will pretty much go to anyone but forget about trying to take her from if my wife is holding her.

(Luzerne County)

The wife and I talked about getting one. But our house is only so big. Things run in three here. three boys. Three monster dogs. Three cats. A turtle,and an iguana.

Good luck with the new bird.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I've had African Greys, blue and gold Macaws, and a few cockatoos. They are quite comical, and also quite amazing at how smart they are.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I've had African Greys, blue and gold Macaws, and a few cockatoos. They are quite comical, and also quite amazing at how smart they are.
    How do you like your 'Toos? I've heard mixed things about them (unbelievably loud, can be pluckers, etc).

(Armstrong County)

We have 2 blue and gold macaws, Sidney and Harley. I recommend handling the bird as much as possible and introduce it to as many people as possible. They are fun and always surprising with their intelligence. Their vocabulary is limited but with work it can get large. Get the bird to be comfortable on it's back and you have it licked, it's all about getting the bird to be comfortable in a vulnerable position. Don't get upset when it gets loud because it will, especially at dusk when they "call in the flock". Spend time with the bird and enjoy!

Last edited by Big Dog; September 4th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Mifflin County)

congrats I'm sure you'll enjoy.

I'm hoping to get a B+G sometime next year.
    Audaces fortuna juvat

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    You're going to enjoy her! They are quite comical!

They still can give a nasty bite, (don't ask me how I know that) so hand train her immediately. And socialize her, because, they can become attached to one person and that could make for a bad situation if you have a family.

Great Advice Michele! I adopted a Senegal Parrot and he wasn't socialized. He hates men and kids and it took almost a year before he would bond with me. I bought him to replace the bird my friend's dog killed. (long story) I bought him from a private home so returning him wasn't an option. The only salvation I had was the fact that I really did save him... the reason why he hates men and kids. I named him Benjamin Jay Bird and call him Benny for short. He makes some pretty interesting sounds. He can mimic the microwave, some whistles, and he can scream my name....JEAN!!!!. Oh and he can call my son, Brian. That is it.

I also purchased a cockatiel and he has socialized nicely. I bought him as a baby. Sings like a charm, whistles the Andy Griffith Show (whole thing), Circus Circus, (SB taught him that one), Yankee Doodle, the beginning of a Suzanne Vega song and then he wolf whistles. He also can say short phrases like Pretty bird, whatcha doing, etc. He is really sweet. His name is Freddie.

Well I wish you luck on your new pet. I still love my birds even tho the one is difficult.

PS we also have two dogs and two cats plus a large aquarium of fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast