Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Springfield M1A scout squad 308

Anyone have one?
    What do you know about them, beside internet gossip and rumor.

9.03 lbs seems like it would be a bit on the heavy side, but under the 10.5 of the socom, and the 18inch barrel seems nice for the 308.

Hows it handle?
    Accuracy?
    Recoil for follow up shots?
    What about a scope wayyyy out there, whats that like?

they look damn sexy, could use a little more evil, but hey, watcha gonna do....

Default Re: Springfield M1A scout squad 308

The further forward you put a red dot the wider field of vision you have....as long as you can still see the dot. That's the way that the SKS scout mount site is mounted as well.

You can actually use a pistol scope on that if you wanted too as well.

As far as recoil...it's a .308, so it's got more of a shove than a sharp recoil. I've shot some regular M1A's before and they weren't bad.

(Delaware County)

the scout feels and handles better than a full length M1A or Garand. if you compare it to an AR or AK it is going to feel heavier though. so as far as big heavy .308 rifles go, it handles nicely.

accuracy is good. the shorter sight radius and larger rear aperture limits it somewhat, the NM rear would tighten things up im sure. I am not a very good with a rifle but at 200 yards, a silhouette target has been no trouble.

recoil is stronger than the full sized ones, not hard to handle but the muzzle jumps. I have a standard flash hider now, im thinking about going with a Smith Coast Guard break to make follow ups easier. http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.html

ive never used any optics on mine so no imput on that. i have the forward mount off now.

the scout is by far my favorite rifle. never had a malfunction or any problems. i think it is alot more versatile than the full sized versions, maybe not as accurate but enough for me. I'd take my scout over an AR anyday. a 20 round mag of .308 feels serious.

(Lebanon County)

i have a socomII that i took all the garbage off of. replaced the rear apt with a standard version.
    it's a keeper. the muzzle flash off it will put any mosin to shame.
    can't say the recoil is anything worth noting....of course the stupid grin i normally have while playing with it tends to affect my memory reguarding the recoil.
    put a forward sling mount on it, but have yet to get a sling for it.
    i really wanted a full length version, but 'am very happy with this one.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    i have a socomII that i took all the garbage off of. replaced the rear apt with a standard version.
    whats the weight with the crap off it?

how are the ballistics on the 308 out of a 16" ?

(Lebanon County)

probably 1-2#'s less.
    don't know about the ballistics, don't really have access to a crony.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Philadelphia County)

I can definitely say that I love my M1A . I would say get the full size rifle if you already have a carbine of some sort (AK/AR/M1), but if you're looking for a do anything go anywhere rifle you can't beat the scout squad.

Now none of this is first hand as I don't own a scout squad, but I have heard that they are quite capable of reaching out and touching something. I personally think that you would not be disappointed with one, but I suggest you try before you buy as they are on the heavy side.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    how are the ballistics on the 308 out of a 16" ?
    Significantly diminished.

The std. 22 inch barrel develops a solid 2750 fps with 150gr FMJ. Figure about 50 fps for every inch of barrel. That's -300 fps or about 2450 fps. That's still good for typical combat ranges (0 - 250 yards).

However, I'd never want to shoot that thing without ear pro, especially indoors.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Significantly diminished.

The std. 22 inch barrel develops a solid 2750 fps with 150gr FMJ. Figure about 50 fps for every inch of barrel. That's -300 fps or about 2450 fps. That's still good for typical combat ranges (0 - 250 yards).

However, I'd never want to shoot that thing without ear pro, especially indoors.
    think 18" makes a decent compromise ?

yeah, they are loud as F**K, maybe ditch the comp they put on some of them in favor of a FH. Still couldnt be comprehended indoors, but eventually I want to get a semi auto in a larger caliber.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    think 18" makes a decent compromise ?
    Yes. IIRC, the HK91 has an 18 inch barrel. Col. Cooper's (Steyr) Scout Rifle has a 19 inch barrel.

It's really a stretch to think a 1950's era MBR can somehow be magically transformed into a CQB platform without any consequences.

yeah, they are loud as F**K, maybe ditch the comp they put on some of them in favor of a FH. Still couldnt be comprehended indoors, but eventually I want to get a semi auto in a larger caliber.
    Then I'd wait for the FN SCAR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast