Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Anybody else have elbow pain

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I have heard of people getting small stress fractures from shooting hand cannons. I also have a .500 and after a few 440 grains I stop. I have shot till my hand was swollen and numb. Its not a good idea to repeatedly hurt the same place over and over. I would lay off the big guns for a while and let it heal up.
    Yikes! No fun. I'm going to seek some grip instruction. I have been shooting in a three quarter stance clockwise to the target, right palm against the back of the grip, left hand encircling the non trigger fingers of the right hand, left pinky on the front of the grip. I think I need to move the palm of my left behind my right palm, and square my stance to let both arms participate in the recoil, because I think what I've basically been doing is a one handed shot, since my right palm was taking the brunt of the recoil. Anyone recommend some reading material? Thanks to everyone, by the way, you guys are a great resource.
    Bruce

Bruce

(Tioga County)

I've been doing the exercises Flathead recommended and it has helped. My elbows have never been a problem but my left one has been giving me issues for the past month and those stretches helped.

Great video.

FJB

Haven't heard from this thread for a while! FWIW, my whole problem was I was trying to hold the gun and deny it recoil. Which with the 500, is about 14 ft/lbs whacking your stiff arm every shot. I let the gun bounce naturally now, maintaining a tight grip, but more relaxed wrist and elbow. No problems. If I need to put multiple rounds on a target in part of a second, I'll use one of my S&W MP 9's or my 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by bwdavis59 View Post
    Haven't heard from this thread for a while! FWIW, my whole problem was I was trying to hold the gun and deny it recoil. Which with the 500, is about 14 ft/lbs whacking your stiff arm every shot. I let the gun bounce naturally now, maintaining a tight grip, but more relaxed wrist and elbow. No problems. If I need to put multiple rounds on a target in part of a second, I'll use one of my S&W MP 9's or my 1911.
    When I had tennis elbow, I couldn't hold a cup of coffee, but I could lift a 50lb bucket of cement no problem.
    The strap around the forearm works really good.
    FJB

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    When I had tennis elbow, I couldn't hold a cup of coffee, but I could lift a 50lb bucket of cement no problem.
    The strap around the forearm works really good.
    Yep,I use one while working out,I have it as close to the elbow as possible and it really helps while I'm doing bench presses.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345