Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Newbie looking for a XCR info.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a Robinson Armament XCR before the election. Anybody here have one? What do you like about? What do you not like about it? What would you change if you could? Do they have 5.56 or .223 chambers? Does any PA dealer actually stock them? I'd prefer to at least handle one before plunking down over a grand for one.

Thanks for reading.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Newbie looking for a XCR info.

I don't own one, nor have I ever fired one. However, I have held one at a gun show, and seems like a pretty solid rifle. And it is piston driven, which is a plus.
    I think the XCR was one of the rifles up for the SOCOM contract, but FN got it with the SCAR. I like the XCR, but there aren't too many of them out there. And they just made a 7.62x39 conversion kit available for it (which I like).
    I wanted to get a piston driven rifle, so I got the SIG 556, also a great gun.
    As far as any dealers having them in stock....not likely.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Northampton County)

Thanks. So far I've talked to most of the major dealers in the Lehigh Valley and Poconos and nobody carries them which isn't really to be expected anyway.

I'd prefer the XCR but would be willing to consider the 556. I'll go out on a limb and say you like yours. Is there anything you don't like about it? I've heard they're kind of unbalanced with most of the weight towards the muzzle. Do you think so?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmonsta View Post
    Thanks. So far I've talked to most of the major dealers in the Lehigh Valley and Poconos and nobody carries them which isn't really to be expected anyway.

I'd prefer the XCR but would be willing to consider the 556. I'll go out on a limb and say you like yours. Is there anything you don't like about it? I've heard they're kind of unbalanced with most of the weight towards the muzzle. Do you think so?
    I do like it, very much.
    Compared to my AR's, then yes it is a little heavy in the front. It is not uncomfortable for me in anyway, but you can feel the difference. It has less recoil than my AR's. I enjoy shooting it, and like I said, the gas piston system is a plus. There is no build up and doesn't require much cleaning. It also has the folding stock. The only thing that I don't really care for, is the sights that come with it. I know they are only back ups to your main optics, but they could have done a better job. I have a pair of MI front and rear flip up sights and an Eotech, and it is fine now. It is a beautiful rifle overall, and very well made. It's a Sig.....
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 3rd, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

I bought one this Spring. It is a great rifle. The piston system is easy to clean. Disassembly takes seconds. There is more weight to the front, but this only counters muzzle rise. The rifle shoot as accurately as I do. The folding stock, Standard, is solid and well fitting. It can be changed to a fixed, collapsing or folding/collapsing. For the money, it is a better deal than an AR-15 with Monolithic rail platform, gas piston and quad rail. It costs about $500 to change calibers. It takes all Picatinny rail accessories and AR-15 magazines.

http://www.robarm.com has a database for dealers. It is hard to find one in stock at any dealer or gun show. It is a great choice for an EBR that is not an AR-15.

(Allegheny County)

go to

www.xcrforum.com

You can read some of my reviews on the rifle over there if you search for my name, as well as pictures with what parts look like with nearly 10,000 problem free rounds on my own personal xcr.

Buy one.
    Last edited by itstock; September 5th, 2008 at 07:54 AM.

(Northampton County)

Do you find the height of rail/sight/optic above the stock makes for an issue during precision shooting? I've been lurking and reading a few review on other forums including the one you posted and some owners/reviewers have said it can be problem.

My main reason for wanting to find a stocking dealer is to be able to handle one before taking a $1500+ plunge this close to an election that will likely end unfavorably for those that bitterly cling to liberty.

(Allegheny County)

It's hardly a problem at all, but when you own and are used to a bunch of AR's, it is a change. You really just have to adjust your cheek weld a little, but that's it. I'm starting to get used to it, as I am shooting the XCR more and more, and the AR's less and less.

I'm considering getting the Magpul CTR with 3/4" riser, and that will cure the height difference. RA is also supposed to release a "scar style" stock some time in the near future, though there is no time line. But it really isn't some huge, dramatic difference. It's just different.

If you ever make a trip down this way, you're more than free to try my XCR out.

(Allegheny County)

Here are some pictures from this past weekend. I had the XCR out with a couple of my other guns (fs2000, some ar pistols, some "m4orgery's), and I must say, I shot the XCR, by far, the most. I don't know if image shack is going to continue working, so just click on the links for the pictures if they don't.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/3...let009avl7.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/5676/millet011agq7.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3...let013ass5.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4...let015asj5.jpg

15 yards on the front tree that you can't see the target do to glare, 20 yards on the one towards the right, and 100 yards (actually it was right below 95 yards, but whatever) in to the woods.

Two of the 5 or so guns that I brought up...

and last one...

(Berks County)

I would say it would depend on if you wanted to be able to switch calibers or not and if you wanted something right now.

The XCR is out now and you can swap calibers but it is made by a small company and parts are not available easily and it is a tad pricey.

The Masada is comming out soon......eventually..........and will do the same but comes from a much more stable company but will more than likely be pricey.

The SIG 556 is available now from a very well respected company but does not swap calibers. BTW......the store I go to just got the new 556 commando in and it is sweet. SIG 551 forend with a magpul LOP adjustable side folding stock for $1430. Tough to beat that if your going with 5.56 IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast