I recently started reading some things about the .45 GAP and was quite impressed. I know that it can push a 200 grain bullet at exactly the same specs at the .45 ACP, but once you put 230 grain bullets in it, the performance drops, which is fine. My big question though is does anybody know what the recoil, etc is compared to the .40 S&W? I haven't shot much .40, so I never paid that much attention to the recoil since I'm not recoil sensitive at all. A very close friend of mine who is a smaller young lady would like to buy a pistol and wants me to recommend something to her. I would really like to stay away from the 9mm, and so naturally I considered the .40 S&W. Some things I've read have told me that the .40 has about the same recoil as the .45 ACP, because it pushes a smaller bullet faster as opposed to the .45 ACP pushing a larger bullet slower. I understand the physics of it, but still find that statement a little hard to believe. In the review of the .45 GAP in Best of Shotting Times, they said the .45 GAP recoil felt like a .40 S&W. When I read that, I naturally thought that I would consider recommending this caliber to my friend since it would be a larger projectile, very accurate, with the same recoil as the .40 S&W. Any input from other women would be nice, or others who have experience with both rounds.