Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Recco's for .22 pistol for son to start with

On another thread, I talked about starting my son's pistol training with a 9mm and how he was very 'flinchy'. The consensus was step him down to a .22 to start.

With more kids coming along that will be trained too... Figure worth investing in one vs. rent or borrow.

Any/all recommendations are welcome. I don't want garbage, but don't need to spend big bucks for a fancy target pistol either, given my purposes. Not an area in which I have much knowledge, though. I've basically shot 9mm or larger since I was a kid.

Somewhat neutral on the revolver vs. semi question. Thoughts on each welcome.

Thanks,

KC
    DGAF

Default Re: Recco's for .22 pistol for son to start with

A Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark 2 is a very good starting point. The Buckmark will be slightly easier for maintenance though. Reasonably priced new, and you can find some deals used if you shop around. Both quality and both are fun guns to shoot, especially suppressed!

(Montgomery County)

I'd lean towards letting him choose. Go to a gun shop and let him handle a few. The Ruger SR-22 and M&P-22 Compact are nice because they have a pretty small grip size for younger shooters, and they will teach semi-auto operation when they are ready to step up to 9mm. They can both be had for under $300 [Tanner's in Bucks Co has a sale on both of them right now].

Of course there's the Ruger Mark series or new S&W Victory which are cool 22 pistols, more target oriented than 9mm trainers.

(Bucks County)

Ruger MKI-IV but I'm partial to the MKII Target models. They're reliable, accurate, and not ammo picky.

You can usually find nice used examples for under $300.

The Browning Buckmarks are said to be good too but I don't have any experience with them.

Our 15 year old started with that years ago and now he has no issues shooting 9mm, .40, or .45

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Ruger MKI-IV but I'm partial to the MKII Target models. They're reliable, accurate, and not ammo picky.

You can usually find nice used examples for under $300.

The Browning Buckmarks are said to be good too but I don't have any experience with them.

Our 15 year old started with that years ago and now he has no issues shooting 9mm, .40, or .45
    Thanks.

And yeah, I figure within a year he'll be ready to step up. The .22 is just a stopgap. But like I said, 3 more kids coming along that will all likely be able to use it, so I think a few hundred bucks is justified.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'd lean towards letting him choose. Go to a gun shop and let him handle a few. The Ruger SR-22 and M&P-22 Compact are nice because they have a pretty small grip size for younger shooters, and they will teach semi-auto operation when they are ready to step up to 9mm. They can both be had for under $300 [Tanner's in Bucks Co has a sale on both of them right now].

Of course there's the Ruger Mark series or new S&W Victory which are cool 22 pistols, more target oriented than 9mm trainers.
    Good idea.

Anyone got Central PA shop suggestions? I typically shop at SPAR or Staudt's and we'll go there... But don't recall either having notable .22 pistol selections.
    DGAF

(Lackawanna County)

If you are just looking for a stopgap, consider the Heritage rough rider. You can find used ones for around $100 and the single action is a nice safety feature for first time shooters. Or the Ruger single six if you want something nicer but that will cost you probably $400.

(Chester County)

Since he would probably be transitioning to a semi auto in a larger caliber, I'd go with a used Ruger MK II, Buckmark, or SR22.

Rugers SR22.
    Beretta M9-22.
    I have both. Love them.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Thanks.

And yeah, I figure within a year he'll be ready to step up. The .22 is just a stopgap. But like I said, 3 more kids coming along that will all likely be able to use it, so I think a few hundred bucks is justified.
    A good 22 pistol is always fun, and will carry thru a lifetime. I have been shooting over 50 years and still like to plink with my 22 pistols for a relaxing time. So it may be a stopgap to learning to shoot bigger calibers, but it will always have a place in the arsenal. That's my opinion FWIW.

Ruger Marks (any variety), Buckmark are good, I have not played with some of the newer ones. The S&W Victory is getting good comments also. I still have a Ruger Single Six convertible with 22lr/22mag cyliinders that I got from my dad when I graduated college. Nothing wrong with going with a revolver if that is what you choose. S&W Mod 63 kit gun is fun!
    Last edited by gghbi; January 8th, 2017 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast