Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ex-service members with combat deployments and PTSD.

In this particular case, I believe he went to the F.B.I. of his own accord and said he was hearing voices, and was 'referred' to local law enforcement. He might have prompted his medical file to be researched.

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Regardless of what laws are on the books about your prior service and health records, when .GOV knows something, nothing can stop them from sharing with whatever agency they want.(snip)
    Since .gov database got hacked, who knows who has what about whom outside .gov also.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I was referring to posting on an online forum for ALL the world to see.
    This is certainly an easy way to move one's 'jacket' to the top of the pile... though I think it is a reasonable assumption with all of the efforts of the current administration, that everyone who has served and believed the Oath they swore is getting special attention, especially if .gov docs know any potentially disqualifying info about you.

I don't know about VA doctors, but I know auto mechanics I trust more than most of the private practice doctors I've seen.

I don't think PTSD will matter. I think eventually anyone prescribed any kind of medication for depression, anxiety ect. Will have their rights revoked. People are really ignorant when it comes to mental health issues. It seems like most people think if you have any problems and take medication you should be disarmed which is bullshit.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I don't think PTSD will matter. I think eventually anyone prescribed any kind of medication for depression, anxiety ect. Will have their rights revoked. People are really ignorant when it comes to mental health issues. It seems like most people think if you have any problems and take medication you should be disarmed which is bullshit.
    I agree. They've found this method of gun control more effective. Make people prohibited over more and more crimes. Label them mentally ill or if they are prescribed certain meds. Not to mention the push for taxing ammo

(Allegheny County)

The “Dangerous” Veteran: An Inaccurate Media Narrative Takes Hold

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/6026...ve-takes-hold/
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Cambria County)

It's a shame that service members that made major sacrifices are afraid to get help coping with the horrible realities of combat because they are afraid that the government might exploit PTSD as a means of gun control.

The government should fear the people, the people should not fear the government.

"Shall Not be Infringed," should be enough.

In the meantime, there needs to be legislation to completely remove the possibility of laws denying self-defense rights to soldiers/people suffering from PTSD.

I would rather let someone have a gun that, 'maybe shouldn't,' than deny the right of someone that, 'maybe should,' have their right. That's why I carry. If some vet loses his shit and starts shooting up the place, I have more options because I carry. If your options are limited to 'run away' or 'be a victim' that's on you. We don't need to punish everyone because you refuse to accept some responsibility for your own security.

(Monroe County)

I love Ranger up shirts.

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    The “Dangerous” Veteran: An Inaccurate Media Narrative Takes Hold

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/6026...ve-takes-hold/
    I saw a Great ball cap that just hit my warped sense of Humor at Green Dragon "This Veteran Medicated for your protection" I decided to pass on it because I didn't want to add to the stereotype, still think it's great but too many people would take it seriously.

(Bucks County)

How many recent B movies start out with the description, "An Iraq War Veteran struggling with PTSD..."?

Too many.

It'd be ok if they weren't always psychos that flipped out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    No your VA medical records are NOT shared with any law enforcement and having PTSD does not prohibit you from owning a firearm.

If you are evaluated by the VA to be found incompetent to handle your VA compensation finances and a fiduciary is assigned to you, the VA does notify the FBI in a separate letter.

But it is not over at that point, you can fight and have your gun rights restored.
    Welcome to PAFOA. The post by DaveM55 is definitive on the topic.

If you're looking for speculation, it could be argued that, barring hacks of personal information, the VA medical records are currently safer than those in private practice. The Trump Administration seems unlikely to sign off on tightening gun control laws. It's possible some states (not Pennsylvania) might tighten mental health and gun control laws, but the VA likely would not be subject to such efforts. Bottom line is you have little to worry about.

The biggest threat to the OP is using a gun to commit suicide. If you are contemplating suicide or homicide, you should consider doing the responsible thing and store your guns with a friend or relative for the time being. If you are not, and your PTSD is the average garden variety, then carry on enjoying your right to bear arms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123