Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Ex-service members with combat deployments and PTSD.

With what is in the news today about the shooting at the airport by the gentleman who had combat experience and PTSD. It makes me wonder if my medical history is safe or is it shared with the FBI. I am to a Ex-service member with PTSD. I have never been 302 and I don't think the suspected active shooter wasn't as well. Are my psychiatric medical records shared with the FBI from the VA? Why do the reporters always ask " how did he get a gun with PTSD"?

Default Re: Ex-service members with combat deployments and PTSD.

I dont know the answer to your question, but welcome to poofa.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sapperjack View Post
    With what is in the news today about the shooting at the airport by the gentleman who had combat experience and PTSD. It makes me wonder if my medical history is safe or is it shared with the FBI. I am to a Ex-service member with PTSD. I have never been 302 and I don't think the suspected active shooter wasn't as well. Are my psychiatric medical records shared with the FBI from the VA? Why do the reporters always ask " how did he get a gun with PTSD"?
    I don't think it'll be an issue just yet but it wouldn't surprise me in the future. I suspect there will be lots of PTSD diagnosed vets who will regret ever getting diagnosed.

Hokkmike Guest

My LGS owner yesterday brought up this very subject (before news of the shooting) and indicated that he felt PTSD would be a disqualifying event for the purchase of a firearm. Of course it is just he opinion but he stays very knowledgeable about gun related news and predicting trends.

(Allegheny County)

No your VA medical records are NOT shared with any law enforcement and having PTSD does not prohibit you from owning a firearm.

If you are evaluated by the VA to be found incompetent to handle your VA compensation finances and a fiduciary is assigned to you, the VA does notify the FBI in a separate letter.

But it is not over at that point, you can fight and have your gun rights restored.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Philadelphia County)

i think the media is working the PTSD angle... i think there is way more to the rash of shootings than what you will ever learn from mainstream media.

our media is owned. and they are there to brainwash and push an agenda.

almost (notice I said almost) every shooting seems to fall into one of the following categories: terrorism (but you will never hear the media outright call it that, like the navy yard shooting etc), caucasian male on psychotropic drugs/ treated with drugs of some sort of drug-theapy for 'depression' etc, or ex-military (who seems to fall into category a or b). almost every shooting also seems to happen in a 'gun safe' zone - go look it up: movie theaters, schools, airports, malls, etc. don't you find that interesting?

about a 2 years ago, local story - a mental health patient walked into lower bucks hospital in bristol, pa and started shooting staff working there, the psychiatrist who treated him was on the scene that day and was armed (which was against hospital policy) - he shot and killed the perpetrator, obviously saving lives that day and it was reported once and you never heard about it again. why? because it didn't 'fit the script' - which is to disarm the population at any cost.

go and look up what the aurora colorado shooter's father did for a living...

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I don't think it'll be an issue just yet but it wouldn't surprise me in the future. I suspect there will be lots of PTSD diagnosed vets who will regret ever getting diagnosed.
    I agree 100%.

(Monroe County)

They didn't know till now.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(York County)

Those of you old enough to remember the 1970s probably can name how the mainstream media treated vets in the scripts of countless drama shows. It was almost a rote plot device to say that vets were sociopathic killers who got their jollies killing people.

Complex stories turned into simplistic narratives for the 6:00 pm news tend to lead people to make hasty, poorly thought out conclusions. Hopefully folks in agencies like the VA will push back to keep veterans from once again being turned into scapegoats after serving their country and coming home with scars (inside and outside).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    I agree 100%.
    +1 they want to turn current favorable public opinion about vets b/c vets are patriotic by their very nature and have training and the resolve to stand up to them if it ever comes to that....
    that's also why they soft kill vets with vaccines they don't need andsubject them to disgraceful healthcare services on purpose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast