Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default S&W 325PD 45ACP revolver questions

Saw some posts on here (not many a few) about the S&W 325PD 45ACP revolver - I am specifically referring to the Ultre Lite, Scandium Titanium with the 2-3/4" barrel.

1 - Anyone know what a good/ fair price is on this?
    Didn't see any on GB for comparison.

2 - Heard about lower quality bullets pulling (possible worse so with snub) - does this mean stay away?

Really in the market for a 45ACP revolver, figured I could pick up the CA pitbull 45ACP for half what the 325PD is and yes I am aware of CA issues but my pitbull 9mm revolver shoots like a dream.

Just wanting to know before I pass this one up that is being offered.

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: S&W 325PD 45ACP revolver questions

It is a very very light recover and it recoil hard. I had the 4 inch version and it pulled some bullets. A fair price is what you are willing to pay for it. Honestly, the shield in .45 would be a better gun for defense in my experience.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Berks County)

That is an expensive revolver. It sounds like your getting a real good price. The cylinder must be cleaned with care and no abrasives. All light revolvers can pull bullets. Inertia is a law. It doesn't change. Light guns are great to carry. Light guns can be nasty to shoot. Hand loading can fix all those problems. If you buy it make sure the cylinder has not been scrubbed inside or out. A lot of people selling revolvers scrape up the front of the cylinder thinking they can get more money if it's not got the black carbon stains. Look for marks from slamming the cylinder closed and dropping on the ground. Check the lock up and play with the hammer down and trigger back like you just fired it. Smith&Wesson every day before Charter Arms.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for the responses... I can probably get it for $865 total including FFL fee, so not sure if thats a deal... whereas i can the pitbull 45acp for $450 total with FFL fee. I appreciate the comment about the shield 45 but I am partial to having a 45acp revolver for fun, house gun, or potential a carry piece when I want more than a 9mm. i know semi's are probably better due to capacity but I am wanting this revolver for more than a single role.

I like the weight, barrel length, and 6rd capacity of the 325pd but pulling bullets and recoil are concerns.

I like the price and size of the pitbull but actually think absence of moonclip could be a setback for reload (speed) and it's hard for me to give in to 5 shot when I could have 6. not worried about quality as i have found my 9mm pitbull to be excellent.

400 bucks is alot... for a little more could also grab a shield 45

(Lancaster County)

I was thinking about $750 used. I had the four inch model. When I bought it I chose it over the M&P R8 357. They were priced about the same so I basically just picked one. If I went with the 357 I would probably still have it. I sold my 325, It just didn't do enough for me to keep my 45ACP rounds away from my 1911s and Sig 220s. The only rounds I ever unseated were Blazer Brass in black and gold boxes. Firing the revolver actually unseated them far enough that they would bind up the cylinder. I could run Remington UMC and Winchester WBs through it with no problem and they too are cheaply made but the Blazers never worked. On the cool factor from one to ten the gun was an eleven. It was a real eye catcher and conversation starter but just didn't perform on the same level as my other revolvers . I posted and sold it here many years ago. It was the first and only gun I have ever shipped ffl to ffl. It went to NY believe it or not. If I remember correctly I bought it for around 850 and sold it for around eight. It was a decent gun and I think once you find a brand of ammo that runs just stick with it and you should be good. As always test your carry ammo extensively. I have never owned a Charter Arms revolver so I cant help you there but good luck, let us know what you end up with.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Philadelphia County)

I'm down to one or the other and ready to buy - one or the other.

Decision Factors include ability to carry, home gun, fun gun, capacity, cost.

Probably would help to know just how much bigger the 325PD is as compared to Pitbull 45ACP.

Other than size, getting hung up slightly on cost (325 literally 2x more, but maybe worth it?) and capacity/ reload (6 vs 5 and moonclip use being faster to reload both tip favor to 325).

So then it's a decision based on size, and if $400 more is worth the extra round and moonclip capability.

Bite the bullet and buy the Smith. In the event you want to resell it in the future, you will make out far better with the Smith than with the CA. The Smith may contimue to appreciate (the price you noted is fair) while the CA will most likely depreciate. The ejector system on the CA is not always a sure thing - there is nothing more positive than a moon clip. I have a CA bulldog Pug in .44 Spl and it recoils worse than my 325PD. The only thing I dislike about the 325 is the use of the V-notch rear sight - I converted mine to the conventional square notch. Buy once, cry once.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

i like smiths, but i'm not a fan of the aluminum framed guns.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    i like smiths, but i'm not a fan of the aluminum framed guns.
    The 325PD doesn't have an aluminum frame or cylinder the PD has a Scandium Alloy frame and a Titanium cylinder.

I have owned a 329PD in .44 mag that I have shot with hot 300 grain .44 mag loads and a steady diet of 44 mag 240 grain factory loads and my reloads of old Elmer Keith's pet hand load 250 grain "hardcast solids" with 22 grains of 2400 with no ill effects to the PD; but on the light platform the PD hits hard in both directions
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

I have a 325 Thunder Ranch. The only warning I can give if you're looking at this for self/home defense is watch out for light primer strikes over time. Mine ran great for years and then I tried to shoot it in an IDPA match and it started acting up. Took multiple tries to get rounds to fire off. Took it home and tightened the strain screw, but that didn't fix the issue. Replaced the firing pin with an extended version and that worked for the most part. I still have issues with certain ammo that I didn't when I first bought the gun. Looking around on the Internets I found that I am not alone on this problem. It seems to be fairly common with the 325 series, in general. I keep meaning to send it back to S&W, but it slips my mind until I see it in the safe or I take it to the range and only bring a box of Fiocchi (it doesn't like Fiocchi...).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast