Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Traveling with a Handgun

Hey Everyone,

I live in SE PA and will be traveling for a whitetail hunt to North Carolina next week with a buddy of mine. I was planning on taking my Ruger SuperBlackhawk 41 mag with me. I will have to go throught DC and Virginia obviously, so I was wondering if I would encounter and issues in these states if for some reason I was pulled over.

I have a LTCF in PA which I know doesnt mean anything in these other states. Would I be ok if I keep the gun in a case in my truck cab and the ammo seperate in my truck bed? Any help would be appreciated.

(Forest County)

Default Re: Traveling with a Handgun

Actually Motown, your PA LTCF is recognized by Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina. Check out this site www.usacarry.com for their handgun carry reciprocity maps. If you travel through Kommieland you should follow the federal law on Interstate transport of firearms. Perhaps somebody else can chime in with the name of that particular statute.

(Susquehanna County)

Definitely stay OUTSIDE Washington DC.. anything happens and they find it.. well nuff said.
    Maryland, they have a habbit of running out of state plates and digging deep to see if the registered owner has a firearms permit. If yes, they consider that probably cause to stop and violate your 4th amendment.

I know Florida has been looking at removing the link between firearms permits and drivers license.
    I don't think PA is linked but can be called up.

When I go S. I cross near Breezewood on I-70 then take the Hancock exit so I am in PR of MD for a whole 7 miles
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Definitely stay OUTSIDE Washington DC.. anything happens and they find it.. well nuff said.
    Maryland, they have a habbit of running out of state plates and digging deep to see if the registered owner has a firearms permit. If yes, they consider that probably cause to stop and violate your 4th amendment.

I know Florida has been looking at removing the link between firearms permits and drivers license.
    I don't think PA is linked but can be called up.

When I go S. I cross near Breezewood on I-70 then take the Hancock exit so I am in PR of MD for a whole 7 miles
    Easy to avoid DC - the entire beltway is OUTSIDE DC. Just use that to go around it.

MD not so easy to avoid. Given that you indicated you'll be going near DC, I suspect a 'short' crossing at Hancock (or even I-81) is well out of your way (if not, by all means do that).

All I can suggest in MD [IANAL] is drive conservatively, DO NOT STOP in MD at all, have your firearm properly stored to be FOPA compliant, and try to have some document (printed hotel reservation, letter from the friend you're visiting, etc.) proving you're bound for NC.
    DGAF

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Easy to avoid DC - the entire beltway is OUTSIDE DC. Just use that to go around it.

MD not so easy to avoid. Given that you indicated you'll be going near DC, I suspect a 'short' crossing at Hancock (or even I-81) is well out of your way (if not, by all means do that).

All I can suggest in MD [IANAL] is drive conservatively, DO NOT STOP in MD at all, have your firearm properly stored to be FOPA compliant, and try to have some document (printed hotel reservation, letter from the friend you're visiting, etc.) proving you're bound for NC.
    If you are going to anywhere in the West or central part of NC, it would be worth it to go West to I-81 (which keeps your exposure to MD to 20 miles or so) and then catch I-77 or I-26 to NC. The time spent going West (either I-78 or PA turnpike) will likely be less than the time spent going around Baltimore and DC.

I have gone both ways and the traffic on I-95, especially around DC can be a nightmare.

Just reviewed, and if you are going to Eastern NC, I-81 to I-64 will take you to Richmond VA and I-95, but again avoids the Baltimore/Dc mess. I also seem to remember I-95 between the two metro areas is bad for speed traps, so if you do go that way, watch you speed. I remember a certain bridge they used to run radar off of, which kept like 5-6 chase cars busy, but do not remember the name.

OH, and good luck on your hunt, NC has some beautiful places.
    Last edited by gghbi; December 22nd, 2016 at 12:41 PM.

(Berks County)

The federal "safe passage" laws essentially state the following must be true in order for you to covered under the law:

- It must be legal for you to possess the firearm in the state where you started your travel
    - It must be legal for you to possess the firearm in the destination state/location
    - You must be in conformance with any laws in any states where you make a stop for ANY reason. This means possession, carry, licensing, registration/permits, safe storage, etc.

In short, DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON (not even gas or bathroom breaks) in places like DC, MD, etc. Due to their draconian gun laws, any stops in those places will leave you in violation of their laws, and then federal safe passage laws will no longer apply.

If you drive straight through those places, you'll be fine, but IMHO it's not work the risk. Even an unexpected situation like a car accident, flat tire, etc. will leave you in violation of the law. Play it safe and plan a route further west where you'll be covered for the entire length of the trip; that way any unexpected stops beyond your control won't leave you as an unintended felon.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If you are going to anywhere in the West or central part of NC, it would be worth it to go West to I-81 (which keeps your exposure to MD to 20 miles or so) and then catch I-77 or I-26 to NC. The time spent going West (either I-78 or PA turnpike) will likely be less than the time spent going around Baltimore and DC.

I have gone both ways and the traffic on I-95, especially around DC can be a nightmare.

Just reviewed, and if you are going to Eastern NC, I-81 to I-64 will take you to Richmond VA and I-95, but again avoids the Baltimore/Dc mess. I also seem to remember I-95 between the two metro areas is bad for speed traps, so if you do go that way, watch you speed. I remember a certain bridge they used to run radar off of, which kept like 5-6 chase cars busy, but do not remember the name.

OH, and good luck on your hunt, NC has some beautiful places.
    Yep. Basically unless you're going to the outer banks, the extra mileage to go down 81 is probably offset by nasty traffic on 95. Even if you're going to far-east NC, might still be worth considering.

A few years back, we went down to OBX and took 95 there, on the way home we came back via Richmond to 64/81 and although more miles it took about the same time (but much less frustrating).
    DGAF

(Susquehanna County)

OBX, SC and FL we take 81.

Due to the pew pew.. we take I-81 from way up in the N.E. Corner to Harrisburg, then I-76 West to I-70 South then US-522 South getting back on I-81 Winchester W.VA.. expose to MD is 7 miles.
    I-81 rarely has traffic stoppage.. I-95 is more like a parking lot.
    I-81 through the Roanoke valley is breathtaking scenery...I-95 is concrete and yuck

For the OBX cut East through Charlottesville VA on I-61
    For Myrtle Beach SC take I-77 then I-74 past High Point SC
    For FL take I-77 past Charlotte - Columbia back to I-95

If we both cross the PA border at the same time.. I bet I make it to the destination before you with A LOT less stress and nicer scenery
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Just tell the libtards to phuck themselves and the Constitution is your right to carry any where. That's basically how I feel at this point.

(Berks County)

Hey thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I am going to pass on taking the 41 with me. I am going to have my 7 year old son with me and the last thing I need is for something to go wrong with him with me.