Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: New Jersey Dems block Christie’s gun permit change

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Lol “serious threats”

Whatever that means, and whomever gets to make that decision.

Still too scary for the Jersey Dems. to consider.

Oh but don't worry, when national reciprocity gets passed we will be able to carry in Joisey.
    I live right by the border of NY, NJ. By all means please, I' let you cut in front of me. I can't afford to be the test case, still paying for colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by BF750 View Post
    I live right by the border of NY, NJ. By all means please, I' let you cut in front of me. I can't afford to be the test case, still paying for colleges.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    New Jersey has been a shithole longer than I have been alive. 60 years minimum. Their crappy gun laws were passed in the 60s. And, you know what? They were almost as crappy for many years before that. I also lived through their AWB almost 30 years ago, they were the first. They have ranked worst in every measure vs. other states for as long as all but the oldest of us have been alive. Shit, in the 80s my buddy's dad was paying $8,000 in property taxes for a $180,000 home in a working class area. Was life more pleasant in jersey back then? Life was more pleasant everywhere back then. But jersey being a shithole is not an overnight development. And, I assure you, the people moving here are NOT coming in peace by and large.

We have dozens of good people from Jersey and NY here on this forum. They are the extreme exception. Keep in mind, we probably have less than 1000 active users in a state of 13 million people. So it is a very select type that ends up coming here and then stays. We are not only NOT representative of Jersey transplants, we are not representative of Pennsylvanians (although more so).

I keep hearing "people came here for lower taxes." That doesn't count for shit. Taxes, local ordinances, and crime have skyrocketed directly due to people from Jersey and NY that came here to find lower property values and taxes. So what?
    World of difference between the carpetbaggers who "live" in PA in the eastern 15-20% of the state that is "commutable" to NY, NJ (and Philly, which I consider "Southwestern NJ") and the rest who actually chose to live here.
    DGAF

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    World of difference between the carpetbaggers who "live" in PA in the eastern 15-20% of the state that is "commutable" to NY, NJ (and Philly, which I consider "Southwestern NJ") and the rest who actually chose to live here.
    So if I move just over the Delaware to Jersey because I want a better job but want to stay close to family/friends in PA, it means I like guns and want my neighbors to stay out of my business. But if I move to eastern Jersey it means I hate guns and want to be all up my neighbors' asses with nonsense and passing ordinance after ordinance. Do I have that right?

In 1980 California had almost no gun laws. I'm assuming the 3 million+ illegal aliens from Mexico that Regan gave amnesty to moved to Cali because they wanted to escape Mexico's harsh gun laws and become American registered Republicans.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Columbia County)

New Jersey Dems block Christie’s gun permit change
    Politicians were not born into their politician offices, they were elected. If NJ residents wanted gun rights they would have voted for pro- gun candidates. Apparently the majority of NJ residents don’t want gun rights or gun right is not important to them. Same goes for other anti-second amendment states where pro- gun residents are outnumbered or don’t vote pro-gun. What you sow is what you reap.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Politicians were not born into their politician offices, they were elected. If NJ residents wanted gun rights they would have voted for pro- gun candidates. Apparently the majority of NJ residents don’t want gun rights or gun right is not important to them. Same goes for other anti-second amendment states where pro- gun residents are outnumbered or don’t vote pro-gun. What you sow is what you reap.
    They don't care about gun rights, they take the position that more gun control is needed simply by default, they think government should do everything for them, and i think something like 1 out of 8 of them work for the government. I might be a little off but it is a ridiculously high number.

New Yorkers try to get PA carry permits or move here and get them yet they say on the radio we should have "cooling off periods" before you can pick up a handgun and all types of other fringe gun control nonsense. I've heard this crap from Jersey friends and acquaintances also who own guns and do NOT consider themselves FUDs. Yes, these people will move to PA, get a carry permit, and then push for gun control. And they are among the small minority of the BETTER ones we get.

The experiment involved 5 monkeys, a cage, a banana, a ladder and, crucially, a water hose.

The 5 monkeys would be locked in a cage, after which a banana was hung from the ceiling with, fortunately for the monkeys (or so it seemed…), a ladder placed right underneath it.

Of course, immediately, one of the monkeys would race towards the ladder, intending to climb it and grab the banana. However, as soon as he would start to climb, the sadist (euphemistically called “scientist”) would spray the monkey with ice-cold water. In addition, however, he would also spray the other four monkeys…

When a second monkey was about to climb the ladder, the sadist would, again, spray the monkey with ice-cold water, and apply the same treatment to its four fellow inmates; likewise for the third climber and, if they were particularly persistent (or dumb), the fourth one. Then they would have learned their lesson: they were not going to climb the ladder again – banana or no banana.

In order to gain further pleasure or, I guess, prolong the experiment, the sadist outside the cage would then replace one of the monkeys with a new one. As can be expected, the new guy would spot the banana, think “why don’t these idiots go get it?!” and start climbing the ladder. Then, however, it got interesting: the other four monkeys, familiar with the cold-water treatment, would run towards the new guy – and beat him up. The new guy, blissfully unaware of the cold-water history, would get the message: no climbing up the ladder in this cage – banana or no banana.

When the beast outside the cage would replace a second monkey with a new one, the events would repeat themselves – monkey runs towards the ladder; other monkeys beat him up; new monkey does not attempt to climb again – with one notable detail: the first new monkey, who had never received the cold-water treatment himself (and didn’t even know anything about it), would, with equal vigour and enthusiasm, join in the beating of the new guy on the block.

When the researcher replaced a third monkey, the same thing happened; likewise for the fourth until, eventually, all the monkeys had been replaced and none of the ones in the cage had any experience or knowledge of the cold-water treatment.

Then, a new monkey was introduced into the cage. It ran toward the ladder only to get beaten up by the others. Yet, this monkey turned around and asked “why do you beat me up when I try to get the banana?” The other four monkeys stopped, looked at each other slightly puzzled and, finally, shrugged their shoulders: “Don’t know. But that’s the way we do things around here”…

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    So if I move just over the Delaware to Jersey because I want a better job but want to stay close to family/friends in PA, it means I like guns and want my neighbors to stay out of my business. But if I move to eastern Jersey it means I hate guns and want to be all up my neighbors' asses with nonsense and passing ordinance after ordinance. Do I have that right?

In 1980 California had almost no gun laws. I'm assuming the 3 million+ illegal aliens from Mexico that Regan gave amnesty to moved to Cali because they wanted to escape Mexico's harsh gun laws and become American registered Republicans.
    No, it just means that many folks who live on the eastern edge of PA aren't really "living" here. They're still based in NY or NJ, typically still working there and earning their living there while enjoying our lower cost of living, taxes (i.e. ducking the commuter tax), etc. Often our cultural factors (e.g. gun control) are lost on them since they're basically just taking advantage of cheaper housing and taxes in exchange for a longer commute. Many times they TRULY don't live here other than technically: they're rigging the system - buying a summer / vacation home here and making it their "primary residence" while still actually 'living' in their crummy NY/NJ apartment/hovel. Nevertheless, they vote here. I used the term 'carpetbagger' advisedly and that's pretty accurate, I think.

That versus someone like me who moved to the middle of the state, lives here, works here, likes it here, put down roots here, and supports the cultural norms here.

Think of it like immigrants who move to the U.S. Some want to assimilate and become Americans. Some want to create their own little insular "little _____ " community where they keep speaking their language, eating their food, following their culture, and -ideally- get all of us to accommodate them.

Basically Eastern PA is rife with "non-assimilating" state-level immigrants who want to pay our lower prices and taxes, but have everything else be "like where they came from."

Bottom line, it's situational based on the specific scenario of high cost, high tax, high cost of living, high restriction areas abutting a lower cost, lower tax, lower cost of living, less restrictive area. It's very specific, not an archetype applicable broadly: e.g. California in the 1980's.
    Last edited by KCJones; December 22nd, 2016 at 03:49 PM.
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I bet he also doesn't live in a high crime area.
    It is Loretta Weinberg. An anti-Constitution extremist. It was her or one of her staff heard on a hot microphone calling for "confiscation, confiscation, confiscation". That was at the NJ Senate hearings, a complete farce intended to favor the anti Constitution crowd.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    No, it just means that many folks who live on the eastern edge of PA aren't really "living" here. They're still based in NY or NJ, typically still working there and earning their living there while enjoying our lower cost of living, taxes (i.e. ducking the commuter tax), etc. Often our cultural factors (e.g. gun control) are lost on them since they're basically just taking advantage of cheaper housing and taxes in exchange for a longer commute. Many times they TRULY don't live here other than technically: they're rigging the system - buying a summer / vacation home here and making it their "primary residence" while still actually 'living' in their crummy NY/NJ apartment/hovel. Nevertheless, they vote here. I used the term 'carpetbagger' advisedly and that's pretty accurate, I think.

That versus someone like me who moved to the middle of the state, lives here, works here, likes it here, put down roots here, and supports the cultural norms here.

Think of it like immigrants who move to the U.S. Some want to assimilate and become Americans. Some want to create their own little insular "little _____ " community where they keep speaking their language, eating their food, following their culture, and -ideally- get all of us to accommodate them.

Basically Eastern PA is rife with "non-assimilating" state-level immigrants who want to pay our lower prices and taxes, but have everything else be "like where they came from."

Bottom line, it's situational based on the specific scenario of high cost, high tax, high cost of living, high restriction areas abutting a lower cost, lower tax, lower cost of living, less restrictive area. It's very specific, not an archetype applicable broadly: e.g. California in the 1980's.
    We agree to disagree. Migration patterns in the US have caused changes to the localities for the most part, not the migrants. Everywhere you look. If there is a difference between East and West PA, the difference is that you are getting far, far less of them than we are, not that you are getting better ones or that they are largely assimilating. Using yourself as an example is not valid. You are one of the approximately 1000 people that use this forum out of the state of 13 million people as previously discussed.

(Columbia County)

Chris Christie is not now or ever going to be an NRA poster child for advocating gun rights, but when he leaves office Jersey gun owners especially those owning over ten round magazines and PC semi autos and 50 cal BMGs are going to be screwed. Once they get a new governor these items will be banned in no time most likely without any grandfathering.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast