Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whittling down my CC choices

I finally got a chance to do some research on my choice of CC gun. Here were my requirements:

9mm
    Minimum 10rnd capacity
    Prefer not to have a manual safety
    Reliable manufacturer for warranty/recall issues
    Compact (not sub-compact) frame - I'm a fairly big guy and I don't think the sub-compact frames would sit comfortably in my paws.
    Prefer DAO/SAO
    Its got to go BANG every time I pull the trigger
    Has to double as a OC gun, 'cuz let's face it a sub-compact pistol being OC'd by a 250lb+ guy would look kinda goofy.

I had narrowed my choices down to 3, but decided to toss in the Bersa Thunder compact just for shits & grins. I was looking for the smallest, lightest, highest capacity gun I could find.

I chose the Sig 250, the S&W M&P Compact 9, the Glock 19 and the Bersa Thunder compact.

Here is a small spreadsheet I made comparing the 4 contenders.

I used the information directly from the manufacturer/importers website when I could find it. I had a bit of a hard time with Bersa, one place said 10rnd capacity, another said 13, while yet another said 13 for the 9mm and 10 for the .40.

All 4 are in the same ballpark in terms of weight, height, length, width and magazine capacity. It appears however, that Glock came in the clear winner, taking 3 of the 6 categories. It is about 3/4 in taller than the S&W, a bit longer than the Bersa and the S&W, has 1 less capacity than the Sig, and is about $120 more than the Bersa.

I liked the Sig because of the modular design. You can take the fire control group and mate it with different frame/slide combos ranging from full frame to subcompact. Up until I did the side by side comparison I pretty much had my mind made up on this one. They were the highest price of the four, but, its a Sig, so that was expected.

I'm not real crazy about a Glock. I'd have to see how it felt in my hand. They look so ... utilitarian to me. Not that being utilitarian is a bad thing, but a handgun is something I'm probably going to have for a long time. It'd be nice if in addition to being reliable and rugged it was also purty. On the upside, there are a bazillion of them around and chances of picking up a good used one at a lower price are good. And after reading a bit, I'm finding myself liking the safety systems Glock has.

The S&W and Bersa were last second ideas. I couldn't have a viable comparison with just 2 contenders. I looked at Springfield, Kimber, Kahr, Ruger and Taurus, but didn't see anything that fit my requirements.

Of course I do have a couple questions, hopefully y'all can shed some light.

Are there any manufacturers/models I'm overlooking?
    Are these compact frame pistols suitable for concealment?
    I'm 5"11' and "around" 250, so I think I take up enough space to conceal a compact frame pistol.
    Does anyone use a Glock 19 for concealed carry?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: Clarified the DA/SA and DAO/SAO requirement. I knew what I wanted, just used the wrong terms to express it. Thanks for the clarification guys.
    Last edited by WVneighbor; September 2nd, 2008 at 10:29 AM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Whittling down my CC choices

To me capacity is no big deal. In a pistol for me 7 is enough and in a revolver I can live with 5. When I look at your list for me there is just 2 choices and that is the Sig #1 and the Block #2 although I`d want a SA/DA like the 239.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    Prefer DA/SA
    I'm assuming you mean you prefer NOT to have DA/SA, but rather DAO/SAO? I say this, looking at your list.

It'd be nice if in addition to being reliable and rugged it was also purty.
    In the long run, I predict shootability and realiability are going to matter more to you.

Are there any manufacturers/models I'm overlooking?
    Springfield XD series would fit your requirements (the grip safety is unobtrusive).

Are these compact frame pistols suitable for concealment?
    Easily.

You really need to rent them all and see for yourself.

ETA: I personally would feel leery buying a gun which is a brand new design and hasn't had time to work out the bugs yet. Sig 250 is new. S&W MP is relatively new. Glock is 100% vetted, and Springfield XD is getting there.
    Last edited by dgg9; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:31 AM.

(Monroe County)

You left XD off the list, Its basically a glock without that stupid grip angle.

Glocks for 450? you sure about that? Buying used? New stock (non-night sight) they retail for 480+ normally, sometimes you can find them on sale for 475.

You could also add the Taurus line to the list
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

You should have no problem concealing the Glock. I carry a 23 (same gun in .40) and have no problems. I am 6' and 175lbs. I also agree about going with one of the older Sig models. I just picked up a P229 and still have yet to shoot it. Depending on how accurate I am, it might be my new carry pistol. Can't go wrong with either a Glock or Sig if you ask me.
    Glock 23, Kahr PM9, Sig Sauer P229, Walther P22, Bushmaster M4A3, Ruger 10/22, GSG-5

(Pike County)

id go with the glock ,,

according to your spread sheet it has 50 % of your needs,,

I'm a fan of Glocks but my suggestion is to go to a shop/range/group shoot and try as many as you can get your hands on.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Allegheny County)

Not to confuse the issue have you considered a Glock 23. It is the same size as the G19 and packs more of a punch. CDNN Sports Inc has used ones in their latest catalog G23 G to VG condition for $ 340 and you can chose night or fixed sights and for $370 they have from E to LN. You may want to give them a call and se if they have any used 19. I have a Glock 27 and love it. Out of your choices I would chose the Glock. Just remember what works for me may not for you. On a side note I have dealt with CDNN and they are good company

www.cdnnsports.com
    Phone 800 588-9500

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    To me capacity is no big deal. In a pistol for me 7 is enough and in a revolver I can live with 5. When I look at your list for me there is just 2 choices and that is the Sig #1 and the Block #2 although I`d want a SA/DA like the 239.

I put the capacity requirement in there with the thought "its better to have too many than not enough".

7 might do it, but I'd rather not have to reload unless I have to.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Might like the CZ 75 Compact, 16 +1 Rd,

They have a US website, hard to remember the name tho.... www.CZUSA.com
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast