Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default OC Troubles in East Stroudsburg - Paging big gorilla

I was in the East Stroudsburg WaWa and was OCing as I usually am. There were police officers inside and outside the store as there often are. In my 1.5 years in this area I've gotten a few weird looks from local cops when I OC and I had been once asked where I work. Tonight as I exited the store Sgt. Greene asked me if I had the permit to conceal carry. As I was starting to explain that I don't need a permit he interrupted me and told me he knew it was leagal to OC how ever I should out my shirt over it as I was making people nervous. Since I was about to get into my car he asked me to see my permit. I handed him my Florida CC permit. He asked me if I am a resident in PA or Florida. I told him I am a PA resident and that the FL permit gave me more flexibility and reciprocity then the PA permit. He stated I would have to get a local permit.

HE stated that he always carries but in his 18 years of him being a cop I am the first person he has seen OCing. I told him he should come out to the OC dinner thats happening this Friday and he will see a few more.

He was calm and professional the whole time during the encounter how ever he is plain wrong about me needing to get local permit. The officer also asked me to stop OCing right after acknowledging that he knows it is legal.

I think stroudsburg regional needs some OC flyers and a phone call asking what other things they plan to stop that they know are legal that they don't like.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: OC Troubles in East Stroudsburg - Paging big gorilla

Well, sound like you have the bases covered as far as pointing out the errors.

PM me the info you have (names, dept(s)) and I'll pick this up in AM.

Sounds like they may just need a training memo and a reminder about the Superior Court's advise to not intervene with carriers, as well as a suggestion against telling people what to do and not to do outside their legal authority.

Hey, at least you weren't arrested Apparently word is spreading

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Berks County)

Good to see that the information is apparently being provided to LEOs, through whatever means it got to them.

Bad to see that LEOs still don't get it, maybe one day they will.

Sorry to see that, yet again, the Gorilla has to take time out of his life to remind sworn officers of how they are supposed to be doing their job.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Good to see that the information is apparently being provided to LEOs, through whatever means it got to them.

Bad to see that LEOs still don't get it, maybe one day they will.

Sorry to see that, yet again, the Gorilla has to take time out of his life to remind sworn officers of how they are supposed to be doing their job.
    I often wondered if he ever got tired of being the go-to guy for everything. Maybe he should he ask for represenitives from each county or region and give a training session on how to handle these infrigements on the right of gun owners. Let's see if we can step in and help take some of the weight off of his shoulders.

I am fairly new to all of this, but if you let me know what to do, I can cover Butler.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: OC Troubles in East Stroudsburg - Paging big gorilla

You know.....I don't OC, but I'm damned sure thinking about it, if for no other reason than to politely and succinctly tell these types of LEOs to "F-off."

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: OC Troubles in East Stroudsburg - Paging big gorilla

Question:

In the above situtation, the officer asked the OC'r for his permit only when he was about to enter his vehicle.

Suppose the OC'r unholstered his firearm, unloaded it, put it into his trunk, closed the trunk lid and responded "no."

What then?

Would he still need to show ID, since he was not OCing while in his vehicle?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Well, sound like you have the bases covered as far as pointing out the errors.

PM me the info you have (names, dept(s)) and I'll pick this up in AM.

Sounds like they may just need a training memo and a reminder about the Superior Court's advise to not intervene with carriers, as well as a suggestion against telling people what to do and not to do outside their legal authority.

Hey, at least you weren't arrested Apparently word is spreading
    Trust me I am very thankful I wasn't arrested and yes enough officers seem to know the law, unfortunately some think that their opinion also over rides the law.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlownNitroPontiac View Post
    Question:

In the above situtation, the officer asked the OC'r for his permit only when he was about to enter his vehicle.

Suppose the OC'r unholstered his firearm, unloaded it, put it into his trunk, closed the trunk lid and responded "no."

What then?

Isn't there specifics in the law that state he must be going to or from the range to carry in the car?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlownNitroPontiac View Post
    Question:

What then?

If I had unloaded my fire arm and placed it in the trunk I could have told him I don't need to show him my permit. I opened the driver side door and threw my sandwich on the passenger seat. I had no intention of putting away my fire arm. I OC out of convenience, as a reminder to others about their right to carry, and to be able to access my fire arm faster int he unlikely event I would need to.

(Lawrence County)

That is not correct, you need a ltcf to carry in a vehicle no matter if the gun is loaded and in your posession or not unless you fall under interstate transportation or one of the exceptions provided in the UFC. Stopping at wawa is not one of the exceptions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast