Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x54r

(Lancaster County)

Default 7.62x54r

So I picked up a box of THIS when I first started reloading. Did not realize this was mean to be shot at cast load speeds.

I'm having trouble finding load data for these light 123gr bullets. Does anyone have any load data for them?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: 7.62x54r

I don't have any data for them, but I've done similar reduced loads in a 30-30 with cast bullets and 12gr of unique. Really any similar pistol powder would work: 2400, trail boss, lil' gun, etc. I usually have unique and 2400 on hand so that's what I use. Start @ 10gr and go up from there until you find a decently accurate load.

(Clearfield County)

Trail boss is a good idea, there is a formula on their website for determining max and min loads based on case capacity, you'll probably be around 10-11 grains max

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Trail boss is a good idea, there is a formula on their website for determining max and min loads based on case capacity, you'll probably be around 10-11 grains max
    How do you determine the case capacity?

Hoping there will still be some powder (whichever I decide) tomorrow at Oaks.

(Bucks County)

Where did you find they are limited to lead speeds? I think if you will contact X-Treme and ask, you will find they can do better than that. Their plating is thicker than jackets in many cases, (.012") and the plating is copper. The lands in your rifle will never come near the lead beneath. But like I said, ask the manufacturer.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Here's a site I've used in the past:http://kwk.us/cases.html
    If I'm looking at their generic chart on the right side of the page properly it looks like 64 grs.
    Check with maker as most plated manufactures advise loading below a specific fps. So a chrony would be helpful.
    RL's advice of starting with 10 grs. of Unique has been a proven favorite with many.
    Mr Harris likes bullseye in light .30 loads: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article
    Last edited by cephas; December 17th, 2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post

Hoping there will still be some powder (whichever I decide) tomorrow at Oaks.
    For trail boss specifically you figure out where the base of the bullet is going to be when seated and draw a line on the case there, then fill the case up with trail boss to that line. You then weigh how much powder is in the case. This is your max load, you do not want to compress trail boss. Starting load is 70% of max load, so you multiply the max load by 0.7

This only works with trail boss, as it is a powder designed to fill large volume cases with light charges of powder.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Where did you find they are limited to lead speeds? I think if you will contact X-Treme and ask, you will find they can do better than that. Their plating is thicker than jackets in many cases, (.012") and the plating is copper. The lands in your rifle will never come near the lead beneath. But like I said, ask the manufacturer.
    Website says no faster than 1800 FPS (IIRC) ... and I've pushed them out at 3000 FPS. Smoke comes out from the muzzle, which I'm assuming is the plating riping apart from traveling so fast.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Here's a site I've used in the past:http://kwk.us/cases.html
    If I'm looking at their generic chart on the right side of the page properly it looks like 64 grs.
    Check with maker as most plated manufactures advise loading below a specific fps. So a chrony would be helpful.
    RL's advice of starting with 10 grs. of Unique has been a proven favorite with many.
    Mr Harris likes bullseye in light .30 loads: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article
    Don't have a chronograph. Don't have that kind of money yet. Right now, I'm just looking for cheap plinking bullets.

The link you provided, so I'm kind of confused. I've read it before, but I still don't see any load data -- unless it's this?
    1. 125 grain plain based "small game/gallery" 900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.
    Last edited by Thompson; December 17th, 2016 at 06:50 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Start @ 10gr and go up from there until you find a decently accurate load.
    Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    So, if I start at 10 gr - there's not really a chance of damaging my Mosin Nagant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast